• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan may be replaced by Leno

MHH89

Reaction score
If ABC was smart, they would scoop Conan up right now.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
Just fire Jay and let Conan get a chance to actually host the show, without people constantly comparing him to Jay. Does anyone think Jay would have stod any chance in 1992, if NBC had also given Johnny Carson his own show? Of course not.

I get that they dont what to get rid of Leno, as he is still doing better than Conan, but if Conan is ever going to do better, Jay needs to go completely. Of at least scaled down. Insted of filling it with crappy comedians runing around doing stupid things, maybe just concentrate on 1 or 2 original leno shows a week...

NBC won't fire Jay. NBC's biggest fear is that he'd jump to another network to start another late show, and with Letterman on CBS, that'd cause a total collapse of NBC late night franchise it owns for more than half a century.

BTW, what does a guy in Copahagen know anything about American late night TVs?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's a matter of scale, really. Leno's ratings at 10 aren't far off his ratings at 11:30, but his ratings at 11:30 were far, far less than the numbers NBC has traditionally pulled at 10. Affiliates depend on the 10 p.m. show to lead into the money-making local news, and they're extremely unhappy that Jay has been dragging them down. Particularly alarming is that Leno's show has been attracting fewer viewers than some of the shows on cable nets such as Bravo. That's shocking for one of the big three networks.

NBC knew Leno would never draw the numbers that a scripted program would, but they thought he'd do better than he has, and that the cost savings would balance out the loss of viewers. But the whole plan has backfired. As it stands, Leno's ratings are in the tank, local affiliates' 11 p.m. news ratings are in the tank, and the Tonight Show ratings are in the tank. Things have turned out about as poorly as they could have.

You forgot another whammy. Shows, like SVU and L&O, that thrived at 10 tanked at their new slots.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
+1 I only watch jon stewart

No Stephen Colbert?

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No.
Not even close.

His one bright shining moment was when then-candidate Bill Clinton laid down some pretty respectable sax chops on this program.

Aside from that, pretty much Meh.

Meh is the up and coming word for 2010. It's already permanently ensconced in my vocabulary.

Psyren

Reaction score
Honestly Ferguson is the most entertaining to watch. Used to be Kimmel but he's become a lot like Letterman (shows no respect to his guests and doesn't try anymore). Conan is still great to watch on some nights.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
Jay Leno is a god damn awful comedian. Conan should be eating this guy's lunch.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
Honestly Ferguson is the most entertaining to watch. Used to be Kimmel but he's become a lot like Letterman (shows no respect to his guests and doesn't try anymore). Conan is still great to watch on some nights.

+1. Craig Ferguson is by far my favorite as well. NBC should can Conan and Leno and install Ferguson. That would get me watching.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Ferguson too, but he's inconsistent, and I'm not sure his low-key humor would fly at 11:30. I'm afraid the stuff of his I like best -- the thoughtful, freeform monologues and some of the sillier sketches -- would be first casualties of moving him earlier.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are doing Conan dirty... Conan should just walkout, and tell NBC to go ***************. Real ***** move by Leno. If Leno had any class he wouldn't allow the Tonight Show to have to change just for him. What a joke.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
Honestly Ferguson is the most entertaining to watch. Used to be Kimmel but he's become a lot like Letterman (shows no respect to his guests and doesn't try anymore).

True, but Dave still has a charm with that. It's one of the reasons why I enjoy him so much. Despite so many years of being a popular host, you really dont find Dave's kind of humor anywhere else.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I think you've found the problem here.

It not really a matter of being better but doing better. At the moment all of the people who liked and watched Jay, are still doing so, and now they get to go to bed early. If they already have Jay, why the fark should they care about they new guy? They wont. The brave of them will watch a few episode, deside its not for them and that will be that. And thats the problem. You dont really create the demand for late night entertainment that will make people watch Conan, even if they may not like him at first, in order for the show to get the rating it needs. Right now they have just changed timeslots and as long as Jay is there, Conan will never be a succes in a major way. And my original statemant stands. The samething would have happend to Jay when he took over, had NBC offered Johnny a late night show exactly like the one he had...

So fire Jay or at least let him focus on 1 or 2 shows a week. Who knows, with a bit more time and effort, they might even be both funny and rated highly enough for 10 pm. Best of both world. A chance for Conan to prove that he really is the new late night host, and a chance for the folks who liked jay, to still get a little of him...

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
NBC won't fire Jay. NBC's biggest fear is that he'd jump to another network to start another late show, and with Letterman on CBS, that'd cause a total collapse of NBC late night franchise it owns for more than half a century.

BTW, what does a guy in Copahagen know anything about American late night TVs?

Well, they are already ******* it up now. And with their insistence on backing both Jay and Conan, they have not only ruind their late night ratings, but now perhaps also the 10 pm line-up. Since it isnt working in any of those two places. So its 1992 all over again. Trying to back several people, because they fear that one may walk to another network. Didnt work back then, and its not working now.

As for your last question, nothing more than anyone with a keen interest in late night tv, finance and numbers.

Dentata

Reaction score
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...ing-primetime/
NBC Chairman Jeff Gaspin kicked off his network’s portion of the TCA press tour by confirming the worst kept secret in the TV biz: “I can confirm, starting Feb. 12, The Jay Leno Show will no longer air at 10 p.m.” Gaspin said that, “While [Leno] was performing at acceptable levels for the network, it did not meet our affiliates’ needs, and we realized we had to make a change. My goal right now is to keep Jay, Conan [O'Brien], and Jimmy [Fallon] as part of our late-night lineup. I have spoken to all of them and proposed that The Jay Leno Show move to 11:35, The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien to 12:05, and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon would then start at 1:05.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NBC Chairman Jeff Gaspin kicked off his network’s portion of the TCA press tour by confirming the worst kept secret in the TV biz: “I can confirm, starting Feb. 12, The Jay Leno Show will no longer air at 10 p.m.”

Gaspin said that, “While [Leno] was performing at acceptable levels for the network, it did not meet our affiliates’ needs, and we realized we had to make a change. My goal right now is to keep Jay, Conan [O'Brien], and Jimmy [Fallon] as part of our late-night lineup. I have spoken to all of them and proposed that The Jay Leno Show move to 11:35, The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien to 12:05, and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon would then start at 1:05. By the by, Fallon gives excellent head.
No wonder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads