• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bookster jackets - questions

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Well then, can anyone recommend a similarly priced brand that I can get with soft shoulders?

Not that I've seen. Just order a sample jacket from them.

oroy38

Reaction score
Well they refund you after you send it back to them, obviously.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My nephew recently expressed a desire to have a tweed coat similar to something I might wear. Given that he is still growing ... I encouraged him to forego Savile Row for a less expensive option. He decided on a new coat from Bookster Tweed.

I will say they have some attractive cloth options ... and they do offer some degree of customization. For his coat he ordered a single-breasted, one-button closure having notched lapels ... sleeves w/ working cuff buttons (3 ea. sleeve) ... double vents ... hacking style pockets (including a ticket pocket), etc.

I have not taken a truly close look ... but I did notice two things I don't like.

First, the sleeve buttons are too far up the sleeve ... about 2 1/2" ... and the kissing buttons are smooching a bit much for my taste. Second, the roll of the lapel ends too high for a one-button closure ... similar to what I might expect on a three-button closure.

Next time he comes over ... I'll ask him to bring the coat so I can take a closer look and report further.

rottencanadian

Reaction score
I know this thread is a tad old. But RSS you wouldn't happen to be able to report on that jacket would you? Pictures perhaps?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I contacted Bookster recently and asked about the possibility of making a jacket with softer shoudlers. Here is the response :)

Hi Achilles,

Don't worry about the questions, that's what we are here for.

We can soften the shoulders of our jackets - they are sent to our more bespoke tailor and we use thinner pads.

I hope this helps and if you would like any other information, please feel free to get in touch again.

Many thanks

Heidi

BOOKSTER
The Granary
Hildersley Farm
Ross-on-Wye
HR9 7NW
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1989 562212
www.tweed-jacket.com

Minarchist

Reaction score
Good to know. I'd really like to pick up a tweed 3-piece and have been looking at some of their stuff lately.

What kind of weight for tweed would most people suggest for Tennessee? Usually we're somewhere between 20-50 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter. I was thinking a mid-light weight to combat the office heater, but I don't really know for sure.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that several of the inquiries for soft, or softer shoulders is testing the issue of
"house style" Theoretically, a good bespoke or even made to measure tailor can
make any style. However, I wouldn't go to Huntsman on SR and ask them
to make a jacket that looks like it came from Rubinacci or Solito in Naples.
Based on their Website, Bookster advertises a look that is the polar opposite
of soft or natural shoulders. Proceed at your own risk.

As for the appropriate fabric weight for Tennessee, again Bookster may have
some lighter fabrics, but their website displays heavy(probably stiff ) tweeds,
perfect for a cold wet climate with little central heating. And even in the British
Isles, central heating has become ubiquitous in recent decades. Correct?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that several of the inquiries for soft, or softer shoulders is testing the issue of
"house style" Theoretically, a good bespoke or even made to measure tailor can
make any style. However, I wouldn't go to Huntsman on SR and ask them
to make a jacket that looks like it came from Rubinacci or Solito in Naples.
Based on their Website, Bookster advertises a look that is the polar opposite
of soft or natural shoulders. Proceed at your own risk.

As for the appropriate fabric weight for Tennessee, again Bookster may have
some lighter fabrics, but their website displays heavy(probably stiff ) tweeds,
perfect for a cold wet climate with little central heating. And even in the British
Isles, central heating has become ubiquitous in recent decades. Correct?

I wondered about that as well, and even asked for their advice on the matter. As you can see the response did not address whether or not this would be abnormal, but I think I will ask them again. That would be my biggest worry about ordering. I wish I could send for a trial jacket, but the postage would be ridiculous!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wondered about that as well, and even asked for their advice on the matter. As you can see the response did not address whether or not this would be abnormal, but I think I will ask them again. That would be my biggest worry about ordering. I wish I could send for a trial jacket, but the postage would be ridiculous!

Are you wedded to the English Country Look which Bookster empasizes? , eg. hacking jackets,
heavy tweeds, etc. If not, two good sources of tweeds with a more Ivy or natural shoulder
style are available RTW and MTM may be found at the Andover Shop and O'Connells.

http://theandovershop.com/
http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/

If you get New York, SF -Affiliate, Winston Tailors( Chipp) can make you exactly what you
want MTM or Bespoke. Their fabric selection is excellent and Paul Winston is a pleasure
to deal with.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you wedded to the English Country Look which Bookster empasizes? , eg. hacking jackets,
heavy tweeds, etc. If not, two good sources of tweeds with a more Ivy or natural shoulder
style are available RTW and MTM may be found at the Andover Shop and O'Connells.

http://theandovershop.com/
http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/

If you get New York, SF -Affiliate, Winston Tailors( Chipp) can make you exactly what you
want MTM or Bespoke. Their fabric selection is excellent and Paul Winston is a pleasure
to deal with.

I'm afraid my budget is restricted, so bookster is the preferred price range.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm afraid my budget is restricted, so bookster is the preferred price range.

In that case, I would comb through B&S and e Bay, etc. before spending your money
on the promise that an MTM operation nearly five thousand miles away will "soften"
the very big shoulders of their House Style to your satisfaction. My guess is that you'll
be disappointed.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In that case, I would comb through B&S and e Bay, etc. before spending your money
on the promise that an MTM operation nearly five thousand miles away will "soften"
the very big shoulders of their House Style to your satisfaction. My guess is that you'll
be disappointed.

I am very wary. I may just order their normal jacket in the end.

I have my eye on some used tweed jackets, but the staples I want are hard to come by.

I agree though, I will definitely be trying out a used tweed jacket to see how I like it in person. Probably a cheap Harris tweed. :)

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
My advice would be to nail down your fit in their house style before altering the shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads