• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigchris1313
Anything over 160.

Whew. I am 140-145!
smile.gif

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
160?

More like 130.

Oh god...I guess I have to starve myself now. I'll only eat a cube of cheese before I faint.

Falcone

Reaction score
My God, this thread sums up this forum in a nutshell.

Goodnight kids, its been a blast.

monarch0300

Reaction score
Anything over 160?!

To start, I agree in principle with the title of this thread. If you are really obese, stop blaming it all on your genes, take some of that cash you were going to spend on another pair of Allen Edmonds and get yourself a membership to a nice gym with a good personal trainer and a Weight Watchers membership. You will do far more with that than a new Rolex.

In defense of everyone who is heavier, on forums where people are really into clothes (which I love too) there is no shortage of guys that eat garbage all day but for the life of them cannot put on any weight. They get all high and mighty because they aren't overweight, when they are pale and lanky keyboard jockeys.

Case in point, OVER 160 IS OVERWEIGHT?! Clearly you have never worked out a day in your life. I'm 172lbs, 5'10, 40R, 31W, and somehow I don't feel fat. Really skinny guys have just as much to gain from the gym membership as the overweight guys.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
I am willing to bet my paycheck that all of you know someone that is obese. 1 in 4 Americans are obese. Heart Disease is the leading killer of adults in the US. So let's trivialize this EPIDEMIC by worrying about how these people look in their clothes.

100% preventable and a matter of choice.

A person with bad genetics doesn't have to be obese. I know not everyone can be thin, but it doesn't mean that you should be obese. Being a little overweight is fine, but come on dude... this isn't like the black plague or tuberculosis.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
foo.gif

As close as I can get to the topic without feeling ashamed. Let's keep obesity talks on the fitness and medical forums, thank you.

foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nobody has to be obese, that is true. but what happens is that some people are more genetically and psycologically inclinded to put on weight that others, and then have to work substantially harder to loose and keep off wieght. so, sure, it is easy for a 24 year old with a genetic disposition towards slenderness to say that it is easy to loose weight, the reality is different.

I would also say that while being thin, or having a good body, is nice, it isn't the only thing in the world. performing well at your career, spending time with your family, having friends, enjoying some of the sensual pleasures of life are also good things.

here we seem to equate pretty much any excess weight at all with poor character, it is a cardinal sin on SF, at least amoung some of the posters.

I've lost about 110 pounds over the past 2.5 years or so. I had put on a huge amount of weight - first because I was too focused on building my career, and then on building my family. I really let myself go. I lost weight not because I wanted to look better, but because I wanted to make sure that I was as healthy as possible, and so that my joints would last for several more decades. I am enjoying that I am looking better. and I would recomend loosing weight to anybody obese. but, that said, I can certainly understand people who don't want to loose weight, or, to be more accurate, dont want to make the major life changes that wieght lose entails.

I am 43. when I was still hugly obese, at 38, I had good blood pressure, excellent blood chemistry and I could squat 240 pounds or so, and press 200 or more. I was reasonably healthy - I required no medications and had no real medical problems. I say this because we like to say that all obese people are obviously sick and need to loose weight to improve their health. I know a lot of men in their 30's and 40's who take 2 or 3 different medications to control blood pressure or other blood chemistry stuff. or who have back or knee problems.

anyway, the point is - don't hate fat people. it is nice to work on loosing weight, but it isn't the only path through life.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Losing weight is not an opportunity cost. You dont have to go to the gym to lose weight or even put much effort into it. Even if you do, I've never met one former ***** who put in a lot of time and effort to lose weight, achieve it, then say it wasn't worth it. The people who are dispositioned to be fat are very very few, but it's a popular go-to excuse.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Losing weight is not an opportunity cost. You dont have to go to the gym to lose weight or even put much effort into it. Even if you do, I've never met one former ***** who put in a lot of time and effort to lose weight, achieve it, then say it wasn't worth it. The people who are dispositioned to be fat are very very few, but it's a popular go-to excuse.

sorry, that simply isn't true. let me ask you this:

1. how old are you?
2. how many kids do you have?
3. what level are you at work?

when I was in my teens and twenties, I didn't think that I would ever put on any wieght, I was in outstanding shape. in my forties, I hardly know anybody who doens't put a lot of work into wieght maintanance.

sure, I am happy that I lost wieght, and I know a lot of others who are. I also know a lot of people who don't spend enough time with their kids, or are stressed all the time, or are extremly unpleasant to be around, because they are so obsessed with their weight. there is a large opportunity cost to staying thin. maybe one that most of us are willing to pay, but don't fool yourself that there isn't an opportunity cost.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much weight have you lost?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 25. I dont have kids yet, but wouldn't they make it easier? Spending a day with my nieces usually results in the most exercise in any given day, outside of the gym. I'm a student and work at my uni part time. I know you keep hitting on the age issue, but for what it's worth, most gain weight right after high school and bloat in college. Despite the metabolism change, I mostly attribute it to dietary habits.

Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
How much weight have you lost?

Im 165 now and in the past 4 months have lost about 10 pounds with minimal effort, none of which was even a concious effort. To save on parking fees I started parking about 1.5 miles away from my uni every day and walking both ways. I dont attribute it all to that however. Instead of going to Burger King on the way like I use to for a quick meal I'll go to this taco place and just get two little tacos, nothing but beef, cilantro and salsa. I never made a conscious effort to lose weight. These were very small day to day changes, and if I was obese to begin with, I'm sure I would have lost more than 10 pounds. I can understand if you older guys cant commit to exercising, but no one ever got fat eating oats for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a lean dinner with fruit or nuts for snacking.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 25. I dont have kids yet, but wouldn't they make it easier? Spending a day with my nieces usually results in the most exercise in any given day, outside of the gym. I'm a student and work at my uni part time. I know you keep hitting on the age issue, but for what it's worth, most gain weight right after high school and bloat in college. Despite the metabolism change, I mostly attribute it to dietary habits.

Im 165 now and in the past 4 months have lost about 10 pounds with minimal effort, none of which was even a concious effort. To save on parking fees I started parking about 1.5 miles away from my uni every day and walking both ways. I dont attribute it all to that however. Instead of going to Burger King on the way like I use to for a quick meal I'll go to this taco place and just get two little tacos, nothing but beef, cilantro and salsa. I never made a conscious effort to lose weight. These were very small day to day changes, and if I was obese to begin with, I'm sure I would have lost more than 10 pounds. I can understand if you older guys cant commit to exercising, but no one ever got fat eating oats for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a lean dinner with fruit or nuts for snacking.

Reggs, you're cute. I hate to sound like an old fart, but lets talk in 20 years. I don't know if anyone told you, but keeping trim is going to be harder and harder after you hit 30. on top of that, when you have kids it is going to suck 20 hours a week of the time that you now consider free right off the face of the earth. and, as you get more and more responsiblity in your career, that will suck time, too.

I understand what you are saying, and agree. if you commit to never enjoying a meal for the rest of your life, you will (most probrably) never be fat. but people do get (a little) fat on a few beers a week and the occasional snickers bar. but most people won't do that, they will have the occasional drink, pizza every now and again, business meals, etc. it sneaks up on you.

anyway, good luck. when I was your age I was pretty fit. when I was 38 I had more than doubled my weight.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
Reggs, you're cute. I hate to sound like an old fart, but lets talk in 20 years. I don't know if anyone told you, but keeping trim is going to be harder and harder after you hit 30. on top of that, when you have kids it is going to suck 20 hours a week of the time that you now consider free right off the face of the earth. and, as you get more and more responsiblity in your career, that will suck time, too.

Yeah, you just happened to be chosen to get grossly obese. I mean, you had to grossly overeat or else you wouldn't be able to build your career. That makes total sense. Those thin people with long hours at a desk job and familial obligations were blessed by the gods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads