• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zipidy928
Hi Mr.K,

May I ask where did you buy your Fidelity coat? How's the quality?

I ordered it online. I need to see if i still have it book marked. It is not bad. I do not wear it a lot, so it should last for a good while for me. Living in the South, it doe snot get cold enough that often.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mapleton
Dumb question, why do they call it a "pea coat"?
it comes from the nautical slang for a really foggy and nasty storm, called pea-soup the coat is designed to keep you warm in this kind of weather, hence the pea coat

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
When wearing peacoats, are you not meant to button the bottom button?

Leaving the bottom button unbuttoned takes the strain off of the button while seated. The thread doesn't wear out as quickly, and requires less frequent re-stitching. Peacoat (for pilot cloth, perhaps) material is thick and heavy. It is no easy chore to re-sew a button. While walking or standing in cold weather, button the bottom button for reduced airflow and additional warmth. And yes, Navy dress regs require the buttons to be buttoned, but we aren't in the Navy now.

zipidy928

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I need help with my pea coat issue. My first two choices were the RL academy pea coat and the Buzz Rickson's pea coat. But since the RL is out of stock and the Buzz Rickson is too expensive, I decided to broaden my search.

This forum has very promising posts when it comes to Sterlingwear's quality. I ordered the Fidelity pea coat basing on the picture and it arrived today but I'm not too excited with it. I am size 36 chest but I usually order a size 38 when it comes to jackets because I don't want to look skimpy. In this case, I ordered a size 36. When it arrived, I tried it on and I think I want the fit to be more snug.

I came accross a post stating that Schott and Fidelity have the same quality and that Sterlingwear has the better quality based from a side by side comparison.

Now, I decided to return this and go with the Sterlingwear pea coat. I'm getting the Navigator because I like the satin lining. Should I get the size 34 or is Sterlingwear's fit more fitted as compared to Fidelity's? Also, should I get a short or a regular? I'm 5'8 but I like my coat to be low on the waist and have that modern effect.

Thanks in advance for any input
smile.gif

adeft

Reaction score
How long does sterlingwear take to ship? I placed a order on Tuesday, wondering when I'll get a confirm or if it'll just turn up on my doorstep.

adidasaj

Reaction score
Has anyone seen-in-person or tried on the Adidas NBHD x Kazuki Kuraishi pea coat? http://deadstock.ca/catalog/index.ph...ategoryid=3100 Absolutely love the collaboration, and I'm trying to decide which item to get from it. I would very much like one item before it sells out everywhere, but I'm unsure of which. Truthfully, the pea coat is not the one I'm leaning to. Even if I could afford it (another pea coat is low priority; maybe better to save up for my first Burberry trench).... I don't know if I want logos on my pea coats. But I do absolutely love the look of this line, and I think the pea coat looks very cool. I'd love to try it on myself but I don't think I'll be in Vancouver before Feb and Toronto before April.

zipidy928

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adeft
How long does sterlingwear take to ship? I placed a order on Tuesday, wondering when I'll get a confirm or if it'll just turn up on my doorstep.

It depends. If they have it in stock, they will ship it right away; if not, they will have to make it which takes up to 21 days. Keep in mind that they charge your credit card as soon as you place your order.

adeft

Reaction score
It depends. If they have it in stock, they will ship it right away; if not, they will have to make it which takes up to 21 days. Keep in mind that they charge your credit card as soon as you place your order.

Thanks.

Do you know if they tell you via an automatic email if it's not in stock and they need to make it first or do I need to call/email to find this out? I'm assuming I'll need to call them with my order number.

zipidy928

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adeft
Thanks.

Do you know if they tell you via an automatic email if it's not in stock and they need to make it first or do I need to call/email to find this out? I'm assuming I'll need to call them with my order number.

Call them and ask if they do have it in stock; if not, they will make it for you. I cannot guarantee that you coat will arrive within 30 days because I have read some posts complaining that they received their coats 2+ months later. I made the order anyway and as we speak, my coat is being made
smile.gif

zipidy928

Reaction score
Hello folks, I need help with my pea coat issue. My first two choices were the RL academy pea coat and the Buzz Rickson's pea coat. But since the RL is out of stock and the Buzz Rickson is too expensive, I decided to broaden my search. This forum has very promising posts when it comes to Sterlingwear's quality. I ordered the Fidelity pea coat basing on the picture and it arrived today but I'm not too excited with it. I am size 36 chest but I usually order a size 38 when it comes to jackets because I don't want to look skimpy. In this case, I ordered a size 36. When it arrived, I tried it on and I think I want the fit to be more snug. I came accross a post stating that Schott and Fidelity have the same quality and that Sterlingwear has the better quality based from a side by side comparison. Now, I decided to return this and go with the Sterlingwear pea coat. I'm getting the Navigator because I like the satin lining. Should I get the size 34 or is Sterlingwear's fit more fitted as compared to Fidelity's? Also, should I get a short or a regular? I'm 5'8 but I like my coat to be low on the waist and have that modern effect. Thanks in advance for any input
smile.gif

Decided to go with the Sterlingwear Navy 34S. I called for the order and they said that they do not have it in stock and will take 21 days to make. 4 days later, I got so surprised it was sitting right in front of my doorstep. I tried it on and compared it with the Fidelity pea coat I ordered - the Sterlingwear's fit and quality is SUPERB! I will post pictures soon to show. FYI, I am 5'8, 150 lbs, 36 chest, 30 waist

merper

Reaction score
Man, I started looking way too late. The stores have all been picked clean of smalls. I found two my size though, and I couldn't figure out which one to go with. I bought both so I'd have time to sort it out at home. Help me decide here guys!

This first's a black one from CK Jeans. It's somewhat thinner, but the winters in my region aren't so cold so that's not a dealbreaker. I like how well it tapers near the waist, but I'm just wondering if it's too long. I'm 5'9" only and I don't want to "get swamped" as they put it.

mo4vX.jpg

The other one's a navy blue from Nautica. It's a good thickness, good length('bout 1-2" shorter) good everything really, but it just seems a bit more boxy than the other one. I can get the waist tailored a bit though right?

7QfTx.jpg

Which one would you go with?

zipidy928

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merper
Man, I started looking way too late. The stores have all been picked clean of smalls. I found two my size though, and I couldn't figure out which one to go with. I bought both so I'd have time to sort it out at home. Help me decide here guys!

This first's a black one from CK Jeans. It's somewhat thinner, but the winters in my region aren't so cold so that's not a dealbreaker. I like how well it tapers near the waist, but I'm just wondering if it's too long. I'm 5'9" only and I don't want to "get swamped" as they put it.

mo4vX.jpg

The other one's a navy blue from Nautica. It's a good thickness, good length('bout 1-2" shorter) good everything really, but it just seems a bit more boxy than the other one. I can get the waist tailored a bit though right?

7QfTx.jpg

Which one would you go with?

I would go with the Nautica pea coat. It looks more classic/traditional. And even if you think it's a little boxy, I think it looks sexy on you and makes you look taller. The CK pea coat is just too trendy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads