• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sea Shepherd's new boat vs Japanese Whalers

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
And apparently that is enough... to yank a young treehugger's chain.

And apparently my response was enough.... to yank several decrepit lumberjack's chains.

Man these circular arguments are a lot of fun.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the whale ive had was pretty good. very beef like. (course they are mammals)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
The problem is that you aren't trying to yank anybodies chain - just talking out of your ass.

no, actually in this case I dont' really care one way or another. I do find it funny that nobody cares when we fish the codfish out of existance, or any of the other 100 important species wiped out, but we kill an aqautic mamal that sings and suddenly everybody gets all weepy about it.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
no, actually in this case I dont' really care one way or another. I do find it funny that nobody cares when we fish the codfish out of existance, or any of the other 100 important species wiped out, but we kill an aqautic mamal that sings and suddenly everybody gets all weepy about it.

This thread is about the Sea Shepherd and Japanese whaling. Start a thread about the codfish and the jerkoffs who over-fished them and I'll give you my opinion, if you are interested.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

It's a reality people working to protect endangered species have to deal with, some species just gather more sympathy from the general public. It means you hafta work harder to protect other ones, not that the one getting sympathy should ALSO be extinguished.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His this thread dealt with the issue of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home?

What about this footage of an exploding whale?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It's a reality people working to protect endangered species have to deal with, some species just gather more sympathy from the general public.
The silly way that people prioritise conservation based on animals they "like" can be harnessed though. I suspect the one reason people whine so much about whales being killed, and care so much about them, is they have been subjected to a long running and fairly successful PR campaign with just this purpose in mind. People who are otherwise ill informed and apathetic on conservation issues really "care" about whales. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_megafauna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship_species

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
What would a whale say if it could talk? "Fish taste good. I like to swim. Dont eat me. Bye." Is this worth dissappointing thousands of japanese schoolchildren?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You left out, "Hey baby, wanna wamma-wamma?"

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
What would a whale say if it could talk? "Fish taste good. I like to swim. Dont eat me. Bye." Is this worth dissappointing thousands of japanese schoolchildren?

tumblr_kufe6p91zr1qa9vp8o1_500.jpg

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and why killing whales are justified

South_Park%27s_Enola_Gay.jpg

fucka you dorphin! a fucka you whalres!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
They do not taste great, they taste like fat crap.

We should drop another nuke on the Japs to teach them to respect life.

Maybe you tried the bacon. I agree whale bacon does taste quite *****. Many of the other parts taste like lean beef tough. It is supposed to be very high in protein, but without the fat that comes with other land-based meats.

I think Japanese cuisine is one of the most respectful to life though. For example, Japanese eat the whole fish in respect of the life of the fish, while in the U.S. most people only eat the fillet and throw away the rest. Things like the very sharp Japanese knives are also part of the culture of respecting life. Traditionally, I think every detail of the cuisine is centered around the respect of life, from preparation to consumption.

Originally Posted by crazyquik
I am ignorant as well, but . . .

I'm glad that when I drive around my SUV, people aren't throwing stink bombs at it and trying to slash my tires by throwing roofing nails into the road.

+1 This was the equivalent of the driving down the street in a huge SUV, having eggs thrown at you, then being rammed by a Prius.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Maybe you tried the bacon. I agree whale bacon does taste quite *****.

Where does one get a fry pan large enough to hold strips of whale bacon?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
One would think that a small, light, powerful speedboat would be able to outmaneuver a large lumbering ******* whaling vessel.

It likely takes the whaling ship a minute to make a 90 degree turn. ERGO: The people on the anti-whaling vessel are hippie scumbag terrorists who probably deserve to be ice cubes right now for their stupidity. The whalers are probably fishing illegally, but guess what - when I see someone jaywalking, it doesn't give me free reign to run them down with my car.

+10000000000

The SS staff always make themselves out to be the victim. On the show, they board the Japanese boats and then claim that they are being held against their will. If you sit in the path of these vessels trying to make a "statement" expect to get torn to shreds.

Meanwhile, has anyone noticed from watching the show that they do absolutely nothing to stop the Japanese?

dl

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
This thread is about the Sea Shepherd and Japanese whaling. Start a thread about the codfish and the jerkoffs who over-fished them and I'll give you my opinion, if you are interested.

Hey quevola, why don't you tone it down a bit partner
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads