• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

brooklyn

Reaction score
i stopped by BB after work today to check out the fit of their extra slim fit shirts. i was really impressed with the fit so i bought 4 of them. Also they were all 50% off which is always nice.

mizzles

Reaction score
Noone in this thread has mentioned Paul Frederick? They have "trim fit" shirts, has anyone tried them? Was thinking of ordering some, they have a sale right now

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
I've pretty much resigned myself to custom dress shirts. But figure I'd ask before I buy too many more.

Have you tried BB extra slim? I buy them in 15.5, but my understanding is that the body is the same between 15 and 15.5. The pit-to-pit measurement is 20.5 and the arm hole is 9.5 on mine. If you want more taper in the waist, it's simple to get them taken in or darted.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Have you tried BB extra slim? I buy them in 15.5, but my understanding is that the body is the same between 15 and 15.5. The pit-to-pit measurement is 20.5 and the arm hole is 9.5 on mine. If you want more taper in the waist, it's simple to get them taken in or darted.

No, but they don't come in basic colors anyway. And apparently for $40 I can get moderntailor shirts.

wildace

Reaction score
i haven't done much if any shopping outside of malls; however, I do have a problem finding slim fit dress shirts for my size. Currently, I don't need it for work but for future employments I would need some.

5' 5", around 130lbs waist 29". I work out often and I have a 15 1/2" neck.

I haven't found any dress shirts that could fit my neck and my body perfectly yet, so this thread is very helpful.

The slim lines for mexx and gap fit my body well but not my neck. I tried an Armani exchange dress shirt that fitted well but was tight on my chest.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wildace
5' 5", around 130lbs waist 29". I work out often and I have a 15 1/2" neck.

If you have a 38/39 chest, you've got similar measurements to me. The Boss shirts fit the best without being too tight. The Boss slim fit shirts fit me damn well, if not for the tight chest. Couldn't inhale too deeply, and the buttons were pulling. Might fit you well if you've got a smaller chest than me.

However, the Boss shirts are wildly overpriced at retail.

wildace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
If you have a 38/39 chest, you've got similar measurements to me. The Boss shirts fit the best without being too tight. The Boss slim fit shirts fit me damn well, if not for the tight chest. Couldn't inhale too deeply, and the buttons were pulling. Might fit you well if you've got a smaller chest than me. However, the Boss shirts are wildly overpriced at retail.
I work out my chest the most actually. I'll find out the size of my chest as soon as i buy some measuring tape. I haven't shopped at a regular Boss store before because it is out of my budget; however, there is an Boss outlet store at a new mall I've been recently going to. I will try it out soon.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned epaulet in this thread yet, but over at SW&D, they are getting a lot of praise for the cut of their shirts, which are better described as athletic than slim, something I think some people will like here. It's not only ginghams and casual flannel stuff either. Some nice oxford cloth and dressier stuff too.

www.epauletshop.com

I just ordered a shirt from there and will get more if the fit is right...

Jonah

Reaction score
Been round again to all the brands (tried new +J uniqlo s/s10, gap, BR, Massimo Dutti, Brooks Brothers, Dolce Gabbana, Gucci and Boss) and always came back to the under represented United Colours of Benetton.

Cheap as **** and fit is crazy. I'm about 5'9 160 ish 40 chest 19 shoulders 32 waist. Down side is the quality is **** lol but ppl are normally too impressed with the cut especially the ridiculous V it creates (insane waist suppression with double pleats front and back) to get to the quality. Cannot recommend them enough.

danger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jonah
Been round again to all the brands (tried new +J uniqlo s/s10, gap, BR, Massimo Dutti, Brooks Brothers, Dolce Gabbana, Gucci and Boss) and always came back to the under represented United Colours of Benetton. Cheap as **** and fit is crazy. I'm about 5'9 160 ish 40 chest 19 shoulders 32 waist. Down side is the quality is **** lol but ppl are normally too impressed with the cut especially the ridiculous V it creates (insane waist suppression with double pleats front and back) to get to the quality. Cannot recommend them enough.
+1 Bennetton fits like a glove, especially in the arms, where most other brands are too baggy. And I think you're right, it's nice to have a super quality shirt but in terms of making an impression, a great fit and shape is number 1.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Which UK online retailers (if any) do slim fit, smart button-down collar shirts without breast pockets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics