• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

xanatos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...OES&prepushId=

If you guys think 150 is too expensive for the Twill Desert Boots, check out Urbans for 28 dollars ! lol

they look cheap as ****.

I went into urbn this week just to check stuff out. And everything is so stiff and cheaply made. Worst material ever. Waste 50 bucks on a button up or spend 15 more bucks and go to jcrew. People don't have common sense

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
I went into urbn this week just to check stuff out. And everything is so stiff and cheaply made. Worst material ever. Waste 50 bucks on a button up or spend 15 more bucks and go to jcrew. People don't have common sense
I made the mistake of buying shoes from them(online). The sole is made of wood or some sort of harden cardboard, I kid you not. Some things you should never go cheap on and shoes are one.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
Some things you should never go cheap on and shoes are one.

Definitely agree with this one. I've had cheap shirts and jeans that are at least wearable, but shoes are a different story. Unless it's something simple like canvas sneakers I tend to splurge.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
Definitely agree with this one. I've had cheap shirts and jeans that are at least wearable, but shoes are a different story. Unless it's something simple like canvas sneakers I tend to splurge.
+1 Totally agree. As long as you are not buying Old Navy cheap crap I generally don't notice a huge difference with shirts in terms of quality. A $70 shirt feels a lot like a $200 shirt no matter what people say. Shoes are a different matter. Unless they are canvas sneakers buy good shoes! A $50 pair of dress shoes will fall apart in a year, look like crap and be uncomfortable. A $300+ pair of shoes can last a lifetime if you take care of them, look timeless and stylish and feel like a virgin rubbing your feet.

xanatos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
+1

Shoes are a different matter. Unless they are canvas sneakers buy good shoes! A $50 pair of dress shoes will fall apart in a year, look like crap and be uncomfortable. A $300+ pair of shoes can last a lifetime if you take care of them, look timeless and stylish and feel like a virgin rubbing your feet.

Or putting your feet in a virgin

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I also like J.Crew suits because I'm not constantly worried about them getting a nick or pucker here or there. Peace of mind is important. If something worse happens to them it will only ruin my day rather than my week. I also have a larger drop so I can buy separates and save quite a bit on waist and leg alterations. The last one I got needed about 1/4" let out of the sleeves and 1/2" off the cuffs and that was it. I think they'll even do those for free in store if you have a J.Crew card.

They'll do alterations on the sleeves for cardmembers? That's fantastic and worth $30 bucks a pop right there. Most stores will only do very basic alterations such has pant hems but pretty much nothing involving jackets.

Razeus

Reaction score
My tailor fit polos and half zip merino/cotton sweater came in. I swear that J. Crew clothes fit me PERFECTLY! The polo's fit me better than the Lacoste or Polo RL's that cost 4x as much.

gin8u

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razeus
My tailor fit polos and half zip merino/cotton sweater came in. I swear that J. Crew clothes fit me PERFECTLY! The polo's fit me better than the Lacoste or Polo RL's that cost 4x as much.

im curious to know your measurements?

Razeus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gin8u
im curious to know your measurements?

Medium in Polo's and casual button downs

Dress shirts 15x33

Pants 32x30

Small in Jackets

Large in T-Shirts

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razeus
Medium in Polo's and casual button downs

Dress shirts 15x33

Pants 32x30

Small in Jackets

Large in T-Shirts

I find the fit on JCrew pretty good too.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you guys think 150 is too expensive for the Twill Desert Boots, check out Urbans for 28 dollars ! lol

they look cheap as ****.

lol urban's generic stuff is so disgusting.

I am hoping those slim twill and chino pants are actually slim, or at least slim enough that I can get them tailored down without it being awkward. I might pop into JCrew while I'm here (in the US) and hope that 28x32 is in stock. They look good from the pictures. Maybe I'll phone them, no reason to waste my time if they only have 30... I need chinos badly but I only wear super skinny fits so I can't **** around with things which are slim-straight.

Purple gingham looks cool too, too big for me though.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they look cheap as ****.

fwiw, zig zags are no uo exclusive and have been turning out cheap plimsolls and footwear for years, they're most famous amongst socal cholos and the like. also known as "winos."

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Urban Outfitters doesn't pretend to sell quality goods. At the end of the season their boots and sneakers end up selling for $5-$10, leather jackets for $30, and stuff like ties, socks, belts, hats, end up selling for $1-$3.
For Walmart prices you can dress better than 99% of the population.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads