• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PICS: What blazer/tie goes well with a red gingham shirt?

Style.AP

Reaction score
I need some suggestions. Thanks!
gingham-red.jpg

I was thinking about a burgundy knit tie?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a solid tie or something with a small, widely spaced pattern like a club tie. Any pattern should be a different scale than the gingham. Solid knit ties also work well. Color will depend on the shade of red, but dark blue or black come to mind. For blazer, probably blue.

Style.AP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I like a solid tie or something with a small, widely spaced pattern like a club tie. Any pattern should be a different scale than the gingham. Solid knit ties also work well. Color will depend on the shade of red, but dark blue or black come to mind. For blazer, probably blue.

I have a navy silk knit tie from J. Crew Would that work better than a burgundy knit tie? I'd consider purchasing one.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style.AP
I have a navy silk knit tie from J. Crew Would that work better than a burgundy knit tie? I'd consider purchasing one.

No. I think a navy silk knit is close to the best you can do. However, I find that given the sheer brightness of the red, and the fact that it has a contrast collar, it's too much. I would find this shirt difficult to wear.

Style.AP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
No. I think a navy silk knit is close to the best you can do. However, I find that given the sheer brightness of the red, and the fact that it has a contrast collar, it's too much. I would find this shirt difficult to wear.

So this shirt would be better with jeans and DBs?
Also is there a general rule for what color the solid tie should be?
Is it wrong to go with a navy gingham shirt and darker navy knit tie?
Or a green gingham with a forest green knit tie?
MUch help is appreciated

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
istockphoto_573619_checkered_tablecloth.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing i'd ever wear with this shirt would be overalls and a straw hat and thats only if I decided to give up my life of accounting and become a farmer.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks good.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style.AP
Also is there a general rule for what color the solid tie should be?
Is it wrong to go with a navy gingham shirt and darker navy knit tie?
Or a green gingham with a forest green knit tie?
MUch help is appreciated

I wouldn't pair the same color shirt/tie except for maybe navy. Since it's more neutral, navy won't have the same matchy-matchy effect.

The real problem is the scale of that pattern. Too big as in tablecloth big. The white contrast collar is not helping. Will can pull it off as FIH mentioned, but he's in 'experts only' territory.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
This looks good.

Funny, I never thought this combo of Will's was so great..tie is essentially lighter than the shirt and thus looks pretty bad actually.

The shirt is pretty bold no matter what you wear it with, but navy solid or navy with simple white dots/spots would be best, IMO. Black grenadine might work, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads