• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Going to stop in and check these out.

Seems no more sport extra slims only dress extra slim, what's the difference between the oxfords in these two categories anyone know?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not quite get their sizing. According to their chart, the extra slim fits are 8" slimmer through the chest (3" slimmer than slim-fit and the slim-fits are 5" slimmer through the traditional fit). In the chart in the very bottom, which I am assuming it is for the traditional fit, a size small/14.5" neck size is suppose to have a 36" chest and so by their description, the chest of the extra slim fit should have a 28" chest which equals to about 14" p2p, correct? Or do they measure the chest a different way? From what I am reading, there seem to be no way this is true.
bb_siz10.jpg

By their description, the extra slim fit should be 6 3/4" slimmer on the waist and that would mean that on the size small/14 1/2" neck size, the waist would be 25 1/4", which again sounds really farfetched.

mmm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I do not quite get their sizing. According to their chart, the extra slim fits are 8" slimmer through the chest (3" slimmer than slim-fit and the slim-fits are 5" slimmer through the traditional fit). In the chart in the very bottom, which I am assuming it is for the traditional fit, a size small/14.5" neck size is suppose to have a 36" chest and so by their description, the chest of the extra slim fit should have a 28" chest which equals to about 14" p2p, correct? Or do they measure the chest a different way? From what I am reading, there seem to be no way this is true.
bb_siz10.jpg

By their description, the extra slim fit should be 6 3/4" slimmer on the waist and that would mean that on the size small/14 1/2" neck size, the waist would be 25 1/4", which again sounds really farfetched.

The 36" measurement isnt of the shirt but of the chest. Its a body measurement. If you have a 36" chest you probably need a shirt that is around 39" for a slim fit. BB traditional shirts are 8" larger than the extra slim fit shirts which are probably around 2-3" larger than your chest.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RFX, those aren't the actual measurements of the shirts, they are meant to fit people with a chest measurement of that size and a neck measurement of that size. A lot of brands give the sizing suggestions, if your chest size is 34 to 26 inches wear a small. If your chest is 38 to 40 inches wear a medium. etc. The actual measurements of the shirts are much larger. For example Gap does the same thing http://www.gap.com/browse/sizeChart.do?cid=2094 For reference garmis said in this thread that he bought a extra slim fit shirt in 16" 34 or so (forgot the sleeve length which shouldn't make a difference in body width) and the pit to pit measurement is 21".

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
does anyone have measurements on a 16.5/34?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see, thanks for the clarification. So the chart measurements are a recommendation of what someone with that measurement should buy instead of actually measuring their shirts... Kind of misleading, I guess I'm just used to sizing descriptions from store like Farinellis and 4HM which actually measures the clothes.

I bought a 15 1/2" 32 so hopefully it will have a p2p of 19" because that wouldn't be so bad being 1" bigger p2p than my ideal BoO shirts. I still have two weeks of wait from the back order though so it'll be a while before I get mine to try on.

Thanks for all the help.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I see, thanks for the clarification. So the chart measurements are a recommendation of what someone with that measurement should buy instead of actually measuring their shirts... Kind of misleading, I guess I'm just used to sizing descriptions from store like Farinellis and 4HM which actually measures the clothes.

I bought a 15 1/2" 32 so hopefully it will have a p2p of 19" because that wouldn't be so bad being 1" bigger p2p than my ideal BoO shirts. I still have two weeks of wait from the back order though so it'll be a while before I get mine to try on.

Thanks for all the help.

dude with the $ you on clothes and your concern with fit, just go bespoke already..

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
dude with the $ you on clothes and your concern with fit, just go bespoke already..

To be honest, that never really entered my mind. There must be a few decent ones here in SoCal, if the BB doesn't work then I might just look around. Then again, I am just not too thrilled about spending more than $100 for a shirt.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
The fit looks excellent, and I am the exact same size as you: 5'8", 150lbs. Have you had a chance to try on the dress shirts as well?

Originally Posted by tonio028
Copied my post from MC:

img016.jpg

img015.jpg

lson

Reaction score
Got in on the 50% off sale online and ordered a few different sizes of the extra slim fit so I could compare. Ended up with 15.5/33, 16/33, and 16/34 shirts. I'll post an update after they show up. In general though I'm as confused as the other posters further up in the thread about the sizing of the different brooks brothers cuts.

Generally speaking BR slim fits shirts, and CK modern fit shirts in a medium both fit me reasonably well (nice chest width, sleeve length, overall cut, but slightly tight neck). Kenneth Cole NY 16/34's are also a really nice fit for me. Any ideas what this means I should be looking for size/cut wise from a brooks brothers shirt?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoilerRoom
The fit looks excellent, and I am the exact same size as you: 5'8", 150lbs. Have you had a chance to try on the dress shirts as well?

Unfortunately not. I've been meaning to stop back in at my local BB store to see if they received them in to compare. I know the BB in Philly (which is about +/- 30 miles from me) carries them, but I haven't had the chance to check them out the last few times I've been in the city. If I ever do, I'll be sure to report back. In dress shirts I'm typically a 14.5 neck so I'm sure that's what I would be, sleeve length I'm not sure.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally received my extra slim fit shirts (2 out of 3 shirts) and the fit isn't as bad as I expected. In size 14.5/32, the collar and sleeve length practically perfect. The fit isn't bad at all, P2P is 19" and tapers to 18" in the torso. If the torso tapered to 17"-17.5", it would have been better. The chest isn't bad at 19" because the really high arm hole somewhat pulls it a bit for a tighter look but slightly bunches up in the back, not necessarily bad I guess, gives room for a mroe comfortable movement. The arm holes are extremely high though. The length is fine, perfect for tucking in.

Overall, it's not bad for the price I paid (around $35-$45 each) and if I really need to make it fit better, I'd probably just have it darted for a better fit in the torso.
bb_110.jpg

bb_210.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
photo taken in mid-robot?

how tall are you btw?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics