• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HK tailor that lets you bring in outside fabric?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WW Chan doesn't allow customers to bring in outside fabric to make the suit with... is that a industry-wide policy in HK/Asia or are some of the other reputable Hong Kong tailors open to that?

hymo

Reaction score
I believe WWChan has a largish inventory of quality vintage cloth. Lots of variety there. Is there a particular reason why you'd want to bring your own?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
I believe WWChan has a largish inventory of quality vintage cloth. Lots of variety there. Is there a particular reason why you'd want to bring your own?

I've become fascinated by Trabado Togna's "Estrato" natural stretch wool- ~15% strech in the warp and weft. I thought it would be cool to get a bespoke suit made out of it, since it would be the ultimate in comfort I presume.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
WW Chan doesn't allow customers to bring in outside fabric to make the suit with... is that a industry-wide policy in HK/Asia or are some of the other reputable Hong Kong tailors open to that?

No, definitely not Asia, as Apropos said.

I know that in Thailand you can easily do that. Afterall, that's part of the fun: picking your own fabrics by the yards at Sempang Lane and taking it to the tailor and having him make something out of it.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score

A Man Hing Cheong in the Mandarin Hotel will offer a CMT service on your own cloth

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Chan is the only one high end tailor in HK that I know of which doesn't doing CMT. BTW, they just stopped doing CMT few years ago. They used to doing it.

xingby

Reaction score
Gordon Yao does, I've done it twice already.

sixpaq

Reaction score
Yes, A-man will do CMT but for a bit more than Yao.

xingby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
How much does Gordon Yao charge for a 2 piece suit for CMT?

HKD 5,200. Additional vest for HKD 1,500

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xingby
HKD 5,200. Additional vest for HKD 1,500
Wow that's really good, it leaves me $400 to spend on fabric to meet my ~$1000 goal. I assume it's been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, but is Yao as capable as Chan in terms of getting a good fit (basted fitting), full-canvassing, workmanship, english ability, and copying any photos of styles we give him? If the general agreement is they're relatively close then I'll just go with him, it's only if a substantial number of people think he's inferior then I'll reconsider. thanks

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow that's really good, it leaves me $400 to spend on fabric to meet my ~$1000 goal. I assume it's been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, but is Yao as capable as Chan in terms of getting a good fit (basted fitting), full-canvassing, workmanship, english ability, and copying any photos of styles we give him? If the general agreement is they're relatively close then I'll just go with him, it's only if a substantial number of people think he's inferior then I'll reconsider. thanks

Yes, Yao is as capable as Chan, IMHO. The only thing you have to watch out is "as specific as possible", you have to know what you really want, and have the ability to point it out at fitting.
USD400 is enough for most high end brand "normal wool wrosted"(Super 100's, may be up to Super 120's) mid weight (9-10oz) suit farbic, like H&S, Scabal, Zegna, if you know where to buy.

I think A-Man charged me HKD6,000 for 2pcs suit last time, IIRC.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Yes, Yao is as capable as Chan, IMHO. The only thing you have to watch out is "as specific as possible", you have to know what you really want, and have the ability to point it out at fitting.
USD400 is enough for most high end brand "normal wool wrosted"(Super 100's, may be up to Super 120's) mid weight (9-10oz) suit farbic, like H&S, Scabal, Zegna, if you know where to buy.

Originally Posted by xingby
Gordon Yao does, I've done it twice already.

Originally Posted by sixpaq
Yes, A-man will do CMT but for a bit more than Yao.

I just want to make sure- does Yao have a semi-sophisticated default (house) style?- i.e. high armholes, conforming and non-bulky canvassing, and minimal shoulder padding if requested? And he does the proper number of fittings? I know what else I want in terms of lapel width and shape, amount of waist suppression, open quarters, and all around slim-fit... I hope that's specific enough for Yao.

The 'estrato' stretch wool I mentioned before is 120's and like 8 ouces I believe... I hope that's not too light, flimsy or shiny??!! And wouldn't look odd on the 'hard' cut savile-row type style i was hoping for.

Also, if anyone could post pics of what Yao did for you that would be great, on this thread or the other one I resurrected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics