• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Chocolates in the World??

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
The only 'candy' chocolate I like are M&Ms, and then only a few at a time.

thanks for sharing, we were wondering

+1 on burdicks

also I kind of like leondias in the 'want 1-2 pieces for cheap' way

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I kind of like leondias in the 'want 1-2 pieces for cheap' way

Thanks for sharing, we were wondering.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I really, really, like Burdick Chocolates (www.burdickchocolate.com), which opened a shop in NYC recently. gdl, you ought to go there and check it out. It's near CEGO. The flavors profiles are complex, but they have a good sense of restraint. If you don't live in New Hampshire, in the Boston area, or in NYC, they will Fedex the stuff to you. It's worth it. I would put them up against any of the boutique chocolatiers in Europe. They are definitely a step above anything else I've found in the States.
I'll definitely give Burdick a try, the cafe pastry menu looks very good too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.

I am not big on chocolates, but I know people who think that neuhouse is much better than leonidas.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for something local, I know someone who is a chocolate connoisseur and he recommends Moonstruck Chocolate in Portland. http://www.moonstruckchocolate.com.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am not big on chocolates, but I know people who think that neuhouse is much better than leonidas.

I agree with that. Out of the big guys, Neuhaus is much better than Leonidas or Godiva.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with that. Out of the big guys, Neuhaus is much better than Leonidas or Godiva.

there is a place around the corner from my house that is a 30 year old artisan shop - the origional owner spent a few years in Belgium studying chocolate making and they turn out some very good stuff. I agree that the really good stuff usually comes out of places like that - a small shop of a handful of fanatics.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of those available in NYC, I like Marcolini and Debauve & Gallais the most. Maison du Chocolat is also pretty good. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.

where does one find these (marcolini, d&g) in nyc? have you tried the the guy from dumo (j. torres?)? there is a place in soho that people also talk about (something like 'sees'). the only stuff i have tried are these places downtown: christopher norman on new st. (fancy schmancy) & evelyn's on john (boardwalk-like). i liked them both....

http://www.christophernormanchocolates.com/

http://evelynschocolates.com/aboutus.html

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
where does one find these (marcolini, d&g) in nyc?
Marcolini is midtown. D&G is further up on Mad (never visited the NY store but often bring back some chocolates from Paris)

Kee's on Thompson St?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marcolini is midtown. D&G is further up on Mad (never visited the NY store but often bring back some chocolates from Paris)

Kee's on Thompson St?

kee's, yes, that's it.

* 2 xmas mailings chocolatealmondy things we get regularly: enstrom's toffee & andre's chocolate-covered almonds. good stuff...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I'm curious, is a best chocolate, like this pierre marcollini, something that would appeal to everyone who tries it, or do these chocolates require some sort of 'sophisticated' palate?

it's a question of which cocoa bean they use. there's a huge difference between industrial used and those used by a chocolatier. the industrial ones probably get the seeds by monsanto, the "individualists" use cocoa beans which have more genes of the original wilder plant ..

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Godiva is tolerable, it's basically a mall brand trying to pass as a Madison Ave. brand. D&G is on 69th off SW corner of Madison.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
If you are looking for something local, I know someone who is a chocolate connoisseur and he recommends Moonstruck Chocolate in Portland. http://www.moonstruckchocolate.com.

I'll probably visit this summer. I'll be sure to try - always looking for new, good, stuff.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For pure chocolate/cacao flavor I think Noka is good. For the stuff with nuts and all that stuff inside I like Jean Paul Hevin. (not a chocolate connoisseur, so don`t know much though).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads