• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Framus, if there is a fit issue with your boots, it may be in the width rather than the length. There does seem to be more leather up front than your foot needs, but it's tough to tell from one pic. You would have to try on some narrower widths to confirm.

This happened to me a while ago with their cigar chukka--too big, a few more ripples than usual. Sizing down solved the issue (Anyone need a used 9.5D cigar chukka?)

Watchguy, aren't all the Alden's made from Horween leather? I didn't realize their might be leather quality differences depending on the supplier.

Arizor

Reaction score
Watchguy, I have a pair of the Chromexel Indy boots from Epaulet and can vouch for the quality of the boot, and great service from Mike (shop owner).

I think maybe the cordovans are a bit too dressy for jeans, but that is one beautiful boot.

Anyway, in conclusion I'd say go with the Epaulet if you're wearing indigo jeans most of the time.

arrow

Reaction score
I have the NY Alden Black Indy and I find it more adaptable to denim wear. You can easily dress it up as well. I say go for the Epaulet version.

3837698177_272efdd82c.jpg

3837698629_ae8985accd.jpg

framus

Reaction score
OK, in this picture I am wearing two pairs of socks, and now I see the boots fit much better. The laces aren't so bunched, boots fit snugly, but not too tight. And yes, the right boot seems to shine up better, and my right foot is slightly bigger because I'm left handed, or at least that's what an old shoe salesman told me once. Urban myth?

Now the question, if these are size 10, if I had gone down to a size 9.5, would that have been the equivalent of two pairs of socks? My guess is that two pairs of socks is a quarter foot size, and had I gone with 9.5 they would have been too tight. I will find out this week when I visit the Alden store. Does Cordovan stretch like regular leather?

alden2640.jpg

and for comparison the original shot from yesterday with one pair of socks, and yes all my socks are the same BLACK type, saves time on the sorting
smile.gif

alden.jpg

I do have a friend who always wears two pairs of socks, I've done it before and had no complaints.

And for you Cordovan fans, here's my watch with a cordovan strap.

cordovan640.jpg

Regards.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by framus

And for you Cordovan fans, here's my watch with a cordovan strap.

cordovan640.jpg

Regards.

where did you get the strap? do they make a #8 or similar one?

dunkin

Reaction score
framus, shoes look a bit more comfortable
and that cordovan strap is very nice, info please

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Watchguy, aren't all the Alden's made from Horween leather? I didn't realize their might be leather quality differences depending on the supplier.

I'm not sure... they may all be from Horween, but there is a difference even within Horween from cordovan and regular calf, etc. I'm not a leather expert so I do not know the specifics, but you can definitely tell a difference in the thickness, softness/hardness, and how it breaks in. Cordovan does not 'crack' like other leather as seen in framus' pair above. The black & tan is made from Horween Pegasus leather. The Context Tanker is made from 'Alden's black Novo Calf Skin' so I have no idea what the difference is.

Originally Posted by Arizor
Watchguy, I have a pair of the Chromexel Indy boots from Epaulet and can vouch for the quality of the boot, and great service from Mike (shop owner).

I think maybe the cordovans are a bit too dressy for jeans, but that is one beautiful boot.

Anyway, in conclusion I'd say go with the Epaulet if you're wearing indigo jeans most of the time.

Thank you -- this is helpful. Those Chromexel look slick too!

Originally Posted by arrow
I have the NY Alden Black Indy and I find it more adaptable to denim wear. You can easily dress it up as well. I say go for the Epaulet version.

Great looking boots! That white contrast stitching is pretty interesting too. Thanks for sharing.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
They call it Oxblood
http://www.watches24seven.com/galler...&g2_itemId=845

Originally Posted by zazaza
where did you get the strap? do they make a #8 or similar one?

I have owned the oxblood strap. It has more red in it than the #8. If you contact Bruce (BigB) directly, he may be able to get a closer match to the #8 but it'll take some time to get it made. Also, note, the straps are very soft/light compared to many other makers of straps for Panerai. IMO, it's a bit unbalanced for such a heavy watch. I may be in the minority for that though as many people have them.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
aren't all the Alden's made from Horween leather? I didn't realize their might be leather quality differences depending on the supplier.

All shell comes from Horween, along with a lot of the more casual calfskins such as Cromexcel, but most of Alden's dress calfskins come from Europe.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow

3837698177_272efdd82c.jpg

That reminds me, I need to give the NY Alden store a call if those are back in stock.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
I am considering picking up a pair of black indy boots and would like your input.

For wearing with jeans, I would get the Epaulet boot. The tan sole is very cool. The others are beautiful boots, but not so suitable for jeans and I think a little too plain.

OK, in this picture I am wearing two pairs of socks, and now I see the boots fit much better.

Aha - I was onto something with the sizing then
smile.gif

I think it may be a width issue. You say the length is great, but there is some evidence the laces are done up too tight causing creasing etc. An extra pair of socks pretty much fixes the situation. Maybe you are a slightly narrower C width?

Alec_Jan

Reaction score
Hi guys, Just got my first ever pair of shell cordovan shoes (from BB, by Alden, so figured I'd post here). Very excited, except for one thing; I noticed there's quite a bit of discoloration on the tongues, and on one shoe it spreads a little beyond the lacing. Is this normal for shell cordovan, or Alden? If not, going to take these into the store. Pic of the discoloration (this is the cap toe blucher in #8 from BB):
photo.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading the last 20 pages is making me reconsider buying a new pair.
I think I will just buy a new pair of GTs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads