• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urban lumberjack look - gonna get you laid?

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From personal experience? I received more compliments and more girls coming up to talk to me when I was wearing **** like 7 Diamonds shirts, obnoxious MEK jeans and Jo Ghost boots vs me in Docs, raw denim, and work shirts. So, from sheer numbers, dressing like a douchebag may get you laid more (just a simple law of numbers). Now, on the flipside, the girls in the first example were vapid club girls that I have absolutely no interest in. The best girls I've ever dated I met while wearing jeans, hoodies, and chucks, probably because that's what I'm most comfortable in.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whens the last time you cared at all about what a girl was wearing? i care about face/body and overall cleanliness. similarly, i doubt women care about what a guy is wearing. if your face is hot and you have an 8 pack you can wear abercrombie and get the hottest chicks

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
whens the last time you cared at all about what a girl was wearing? i care about face/body and overall cleanliness. similarly, i doubt women care about what a guy is wearing. if your face is hot and you have an 8 pack you can wear abercrombie and get the hottest chicks

I care what my girl wears. Similarly, she cares about what I wear.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
not everything has to be about what is going to get you laid.

Yep.

Also, I like how the OP simplifies women into a single entity with one opinion on workwear. It's not like they're individuals with varying opinions, or anything. Okay, I'm done white knighting.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
Depends. A hot girl wearing all designer wear, Alexander McQueen boots, an obnoxiously branded purse, bejewelled cell phone and a trashed (on the inside) mercedes? High Maintenance. Do Not Want. It's not really caring, and I admit to hypocrisy regarding "judging people for how they look". I'm not interested in rampant consumerism, wasteful spending, and following trends. Now, a girl in skin-tight jeans, vans, white rocker belt, stripe top (tight), razor cut hair, lots of eyeliner, tats, and razor scars? She's got issues, but I'll gamble there.
biggrin.gif
A girl in a sun dress with a few tats peeking, riding an old Raleigh cruiser with a basket on the front? Yes please. I'll add that not every girl in the first example is a vapid high maintenance *****. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. It's just in my experience that those girls are more trouble than they're worth. Burn me once, shame on me, etc etc. Anyway, I realize that there are markers that can indicate undesirable traits, and clothing can be one of those markers.

shaftoe

Reaction score
Confidence gets you laid. If dressing like a lumberjack makes you confident, you're good to go.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak about urban lumberjack, but '30's sailor thug makes all the women think I'm gay.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Depends. A hot girl wearing all designer wear, Alexander McQueen boots, an obnoxiously branded purse, bejewelled cell phone and a trashed (on the inside) mercedes? High Maintenance. Do Not Want. It's not really caring, and I admit to hypocrisy regarding "judging people for how they look". I'm not interested in rampant consumerism, wasteful spending, and following trends. Now, a girl in skin-tight jeans, vans, white rocker belt, stripe top (tight), razor cut hair, lots of eyeliner, tats, and razor scars? She's got issues, but I'll gamble there.
biggrin.gif
A girl in a sun dress with a few tats peeking, riding an old Raleigh cruiser with a basket on the front? Yes please. I'll add that not every girl in the first example is a vapid high maintenance *****. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. It's just in my experience that those girls are more trouble than they're worth. Burn me once, shame on me, etc etc. Anyway, I realize that there are markers that can indicate undesirable traits, and clothing can be one of those markers.

are you gay? when it comes to girls, for me less is more. i cant remember the last time i looked at a girl and thought "wow shes dressed really well." i have thought, wow shes wearing sooo little of course if its my wife i would kinda care, but at that point its like we're the same person (what she does reflects on me and vice versa)

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this thread is vapid without pics

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The look is only for those who have transcended those base reasons for clothes.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Every time I wear my red/black flannel from J. Crew, I know I want to go to bed with myself. So there is something to this.

billsayers

Reaction score
Seriously doubt it.

No woman worth their salt ever looks at a guy dressed in flannels and raw denim and thinks - "I want that guys penis in me because he looks so rugged and blue-collar."

wiru

Reaction score
praise jesus, another workwear threak

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
biggrin.gif
A girl in a sun dress with a few tats peeking, riding an old Raleigh cruiser with a basket on the front? Yes please.

I'll add that not every girl in the first example is a vapid high maintenance *****. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. It's just in my experience that those girls are more trouble than they're worth. Burn me once, shame on me, etc etc. Anyway, I realize that there are markers that can indicate undesirable traits, and clothing can be one of those markers.

so you don't like the hot party sluts but you want the weirdos?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics