• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
French Laundry Cookbook
Charcuterie
Alinea (more for food Appreciation and flavor ideas than at home cooking recipes)
Larousse Gastronomique
The Complete Robuchon

These are all books I reach for on a continued basis. For ideas, inspiration, questions, everything.

The food looked good dude. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Edit: Another book you absolutely MUST have, just to understand kitchen science and the way food works, is On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. Guy is an absolute genius. Any question you might have he will answer in two ways, one very straightforward and simple to understand, and another way that gets down to the molecular level so you really become smurterer.

Really? You cook out of TFL more than Bouchon?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Really? You cook out of TFL more than Bouchon?

I don't cook out of either. Although when I do go somewhere for ideas or recipes, it's TFL. I think TFL is a much better book.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I don't cook out of either. Although when I do go somewhere for ideas or recipes, it's TFL. I think TFL is a much better book.

everybody reads cookbooks differently. you have to bear in mind that kwilk is a restaurant cook looking for ideas and inspiration. your mileage may vary if you're just looking for something for dinner, or even for a Saturday night dinner party, but you don't have 4-5 years of high-end kitchen experience.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I really like this thread. Great stuff Pio!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Btw, did not wait for tax return for that second smoker. Was on sale at Meat Processing, so just ordered it. Under $300 shipped.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Btw, did not wait for tax return for that second smoker. Was on sale at Meat Processing, so just ordered it. Under $300 shipped.

That second smoker...is it specifically made for sausage, or will it smoke just about anything?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

laugh.gif
well played. Seriously though... are you taking sausage orders?
devil.gif

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
laugh.gif
well played. Seriously though... are you taking sausage orders?
devil.gif

No way would I put another man's sausage in my mouth
ffffuuuu.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
No way would I put another man's sausage in my mouth
ffffuuuu.gif

So, you'd rather put your own?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
That second smoker...is it specifically made for sausage, or will it smoke just about anything?

The second smoker won't go over about 170 degrees. So it's limited as to what you can smoke. It's the inverse problem with my current Cook Shack, which really won't smoke below about 180. My briskets (which I've posted pics of) smokes at 225 for 12 hours. The second smoker would be unable to do that and it's not set up to handle grease dripping, where as my Cook Shack is.

Actually, that's the heart of the matter: when smoking sausage you don't want it over 165 or so as otherwise the fat will render. Sausage making is all about suspending fat in meat. (I sound like Kyle or Ruhlman now.
laugh.gif
)

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second smoker won't go over about 170 degrees. So it's limited as to what you can smoke. It's the inverse problem with my current Cook Shack, which really won't smoke below about 180. My briskets (which I've posted pics of) smokes at 225 for 12 hours. The second smoker would be unable to do that and it's not set up to handle grease dripping, where as my Cook Shack is.

Actually, that's the heart of the matter: when smoking sausage you don't want it over 165 or so as otherwise the fat will render. Sausage making is all about suspending fat in meat. (I sound like Kyle or Ruhlman now.
laugh.gif
)

Well see now I'm just confused. Not because of what you said as you explained everything perfectly, but why the first smoker won't smoke below 180. I understand the second smoker not being able to exceed 170, but just don't really grasp why the first smoker is limited in smoking under 180. Is this common in that you really need to get two different smokers to be able to cover the entire spectrum, or is this moreso an isolated case where you chose the first smoker for a certain reason foregoing the potential to smoke below 170 that the other smokers were capable of?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Well see now I'm just confused. Not because of what you said as you explained everything perfectly, but why the first smoker won't smoke below 180. I understand the second smoker not being able to exceed 170, but just don't really grasp why the first smoker is limited in smoking under 180. Is this common in that you really need to get two different smokers to be able to cover the entire spectrum, or is this moreso an isolated case where you chose the first smoker for a certain reason foregoing the potential to smoke below 170 that the other smokers were capable of?

My first smoker, www.cookshack.com , is the best smoker I've ever tried. It's electric, don't have to mess with water pans, adding charcoal, has a digital temp. control. It really, really retains moisture (and the smoke) and is so easy to use. The wood goes in a metal box that sits above the heating element. It just won't combust the wood unless the element is hitting about 180, and the lowest digital setting is 150 anyways. My brisket comes out super moist and it's just no muss, no fuss. No other smoker I know of is just toss the brisket (or whatever meat) in and let it run for 12 hours or so.

The second one does not retain moisture as well. In fact, it has a chimney type flue, specifically so you can open it and dry sausage. Most recipes require an hour or two at 100-120 for drying, then close the flue to 1/4 and crank it up to 165, which will get that to smoking. This one uses sawdust (vs. the wood chunks of the Cook Shack) and sits in a pan, directly on top of the element. So you can dry things out, specifically what the Cook Shack is designed to prevent, and make smoke at lower temps.

I have probably gone over board. I have tried the propane and charcoal types, where you need to play with it all the time. It's worth having the Cook Shack for brisket, ribs, turkey, etc., then having this for sausage. I'm also going to try fish with it, as fish take a low temp.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first smoker, www.cookshack.com , is the best smoker I've ever tried. It's electric, don't have to mess with water pans, adding charcoal, has a digital temp. control. It really, really retains moisture (and the smoke) and is so easy to use. The wood goes in a metal box that sits above the heating element. It just won't combust the wood unless the element is hitting about 180, and the lowest digital setting is 150 anyways. My brisket comes out super moist and it's just no muss, no fuss. No other smoker I know of is just toss the brisket (or whatever meat) in and let it run for 12 hours or so.

The second one does not retain moisture as well. In fact, it has a chimney type flue, specifically so you can open it and dry sausage. Most recipes require an hour or two at 100-120 for drying, then close the flue to 1/4 and crank it up to 165, which will get that to smoking. This one uses sawdust (vs. the wood chunks of the Cook Shack) and sits in a pan, directly on top of the element. So you can dry things out, specifically what the Cook Shack is designed to prevent, and make smoke at lower temps.

I have probably gone over board. I have tried the propane and charcoal types, where you need to play with it all the time. It's worth having the Cook Shack for brisket, ribs, turkey, etc., then having this for sausage. I'm also going to try fish with it, as fish take a low temp.

Thanks for all the info. I will be checking out that website and learning more on this subject.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some pork liver today. Gonna get to work on it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
P,

just curisous, not making a statement - working with a regular wood burning smoker, if you really choked off the Oxegen, you should be able to keep the temp below 165, no? that just makes it a matter of more work, right?

I don't see myself ever getting a big electric smoker, or more than one, for that matter. I am thinking if it would ever work to try to make sausages. I love sausages, but now the science of it makes it a little daunting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads