• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone explain red socks to me?

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
To cut through all of this pseudo-fashionista bullshit, here's some pseudo-scientific bullshit: ...

Well, I'm convinced.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this apply to maroon socks too? :\\

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
They're like sneakers on a telephone wire. It means the wearer has drugs to sell.
is that what that means!?
eh.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
eh.gif

He'd be pretty uncomfortable up there on the wire, no?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Does this apply to maroon socks too? :\\

Yes. But to lesser degree. Colorblindness while hereditary, is not binary.
Maroon socks may be seen as gray or even brown, where the extent of
penetration of the genetic expression is not as great. In other words,
for those who are "less colorblind" maroon may be seen as maroon or brown
but for the "very colorblind", maroon would be seen as gray or even black.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
To cut through all of this pseudo-fashionista bullshit, the prevalence
of red socks, especially in the United Kingdom is more than likely genetic.
It is well known that colorblindness is more common among males
in northern and western Europe, particularly the British Isles and Normandy
and Brittany in France. According to the latest research, the halpotype
that is theorized to carry this trait converts the color red to gray or black
in the vision of the carrier. In these cultures male dress, in the dominant
classes, is very understated, even dull. On the basis of this analysis, the
choice of red socks, for that portion of the male population in these classes
who are colorblind, is merely an act of conformity with the paradigm of
understated dress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

wrong-7048801.jpg

Brian_I

Reaction score
I'm liking the whole red socks thing. I now need to rebuild my wardrobe around them.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
eh.gif

Yes, at least according to popular lore it used to be (may still be, I don't know) a way of signaling that drugs could be bought at that corner.

Or, of course, it could just mean that some kid got picked on on the way home from school, and his shoes were thrown up there so he couldn't reach them.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never saw the Constantine movie, but my understanding is that Keanu Reeves mopes his way through it as some sort of supernatural devil-hunter (or something). Is the guy with the red socks (and red tie!) supposed to represent the devil? Is this a typically heavy handed Hollywood device to let the audience know what is going on? Has anyone seen the movie? Does this make sense?

Financekid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I never saw the Constantine movie, but my understanding is that Keanu Reeves mopes his way through it as some sort of supernatural devil-hunter (or something). Is the guy with the red socks (and red tie!) supposed to represent the devil? Is this a typically heavy handed Hollywood device to let the audience know what is going on? Has anyone seen the movie? Does this make sense?

It's possible I suppose, but I would seriously doubt it. Incidentally he's not the devil, but a half-demon. I think the whole point is that they can't put horns on him as this would seem silly and indeed heavy handed, so they rather present him as a handsome immaculately dressed character without a hair out of place and let the rest be expressed through dialogue. When they can't give him the appearance of a monster they rather give him the appearance of the varnished yuppie without a concience. The socks I think is just to enforce the appearance and feel of british upper-class.

He has two outfits and there is no red in the other one, as far as I could tell

Balthazar2.jpg

Financekid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
The French are at it too (though Fillon's wife is English - perhaps she buys his socks)

You can "subscribe" to Gammarelli socks here: http://www.meschaussettesrouges.com/

I like the red and violet.

Oh and a little historical and political background in this curious but rather interesting blog:

http://bloggingyoungfogey.blogspot.c...cked-fops.html

Thanks for the tip, just ordered myself a nice pair of red gammarelli socks in merino. Largest they had was 11 and I'm 12, but hoping it'll fit anyways.

By the way, does anyone know if they make other colours than red, purple and black? And could anyone tell me if they make them in other lenghts? It's 16 degrees celcius below where I'm at, so some knee-highs would be nice.

LeonM

Reaction score
Gammarelli? They do white as well, but they won't sell you those. Both the cotton and wool socks are thin. I have only seen over the calf length.

Leon

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red, purple, blue(s), teal, pink, orange. Why would one not have a selection of socks as you do a selection of ties.

I normally get comments on my socks. Some people rave on how "brave" I am while others think I am out of touch with reality(this said by a lady who thinks 4 buttoned suits are cutting edge) but socks are a great way of adding a little flash just like a good tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads