• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much they shrink if I send them to the cleaners. Anyone got ideas?

Wondering if I should have gone an inch bigger to account for shrinkage after reading that other thread. But I wonder how that shirt fit the other guy before he threw it into the dryer, and also how much more shrinkage was due to the dryer rather than the wash.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Got my shirt today. Ordered a little before Christmas. Pretty darn quick turnaround time. Propercloth hasn't even said they made my shirt yet and I ordered that one at the beginning of December.

Either case, not complaining, did know the lag time when I ordered with PC. Just saying MT is freaking fast.

I think its a little too tight in the chest and waist. Not sure if there are supposed to be those folds where the shoulder is. Maybe its from the chest pulling. Used the measure your shirt option.

You're wearing your jeans too high. You are wearing jeans that are meant to sit at your hips, on your waist. That's why it's ducking in at the center (In case you were confused).

tjc4golf

Reaction score
I think its a little too tight in the chest and waist. Not sure if there are supposed to be those folds where the shoulder is. Maybe its from the chest pulling. Used the measure your shirt option.

I think the chest and waist look fine. However I think you may want to reduce the "half bicep" measurement you provide them. The sleeves look very blousy in contrast to the slim body and I don't think the two work together. I'd slim the sleeves before loosening the body.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
I got my shirt I ordered on the 23rd today. Major bonus point for fast turn around time. I also like the fabric and their measurements were spot on. The buttons are not great. I went for the MOP option. They're not as bad as the MOP buttons on my Hemrajani Bros shirt but they're average at best. My biggest complaint is the collar. I ordered their "cutaway" model. It's not what I'd consider a true cutaway... more of a wide spread (not a complaint as it doesn't look like a true cutaway on their website either). What I don't like about it is (1) the size and (2) the points don't lay flat on the shirt. The length of the collar points is 3.5". My Janztens are 3.25" and I think the extra 0.25" makes a huge difference... the collar seems too large for my face. Unfortunately Modern Tailor does not let you specify the length of your collar points. It's a bit hard to see in the photo below but the point on the right side does not touch the body of the shirt (hopefully this will go away with a wash and iron or possibly by a "soft" interlining choice) and the one of the left while touching in the photo does not always touch.
DSC02132.jpg
I want to order more but I'm just not sure about the collar. Has anyone ordered a buttondown? I'd love to see what a buttondown looks like in real life (the picture on their website doesn't make me feel confident that it will "roll" correctly).

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
I got my shirt I ordered on the 23rd today. Major bonus point for fast turn around time. I also like the fabric and their measurements were spot on.

The buttons are not great. I went for the MOP option. They're not as bad as the MOP buttons on my Hemrajani Bros shirt but they're average at best.

My biggest complaint is the collar. I ordered their "cutaway" model. It's not what I'd consider a true cutaway... more of a wide spread (not a complaint as it doesn't look like a true cutaway on their website either). What I don't like about it is (1) the size and (2) the points don't lay flat on the shirt. The length of the collar points is 3.5". My Janztens are 3.25" and I think the extra 0.25" makes a huge difference... the collar seems too large for my face. Unfortunately Modern Tailor does not let you specify the length of your collar points. It's a bit hard to see in the photo below but the point on the right side does not touch the body of the shirt (hopefully this will go away with a wash and iron or possibly by a "soft" interlining choice) and the one of the left while touching in the photo does not always touch.

DSC02132.jpg

I want to order more but I'm just not sure about the collar. Has anyone ordered a buttondown? I'd love to see what a buttondown looks like in real life (the picture on their website doesn't make me feel confident that it will "roll" correctly).

I have two of their shirts and one on the way. The two I have are the double button cut away collar. I had the same trouble as stated above so I started using longer collar stays. It seems to have helped. The one that is on its way is the single button cut away collar. I am hoping that it will reduce my problem.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shazeh
also, i wanted my shirt length 25", they emailed me and recommended i make my shirt length 29". well, i made it 27" instead. the shirt they sent me is 25 inches long. so they didnt even pay attention to that. i dont care about that part but, they didnt even follow that! i emailed them with pics of my measurements and will see what they offer to do.

I just got my shirt from the $20 off deal that was posted in B&S (thanks again guys!). On one hand I'm impressed with the fast turnaround, the material, the construction and the fit EXCEPT for the length. I'm 5'8" also and have a very tough fit (16.75" neck, 40" chest, very sloped shoulders, and pot belly). They nailed the fit almost perfectly BUT the shirt is only 24" long!?!?!?! I mean this really sucks because this shirt barely makes it down to my waist and is completely unwearable.

Outside of the paper thin MOP buttons I'd say this shirt is as nice as my Jantzens. The material is definitely very nice for the price. And fit is great except for the length. I don't even know if I want to bother with contacting them and trying to sort it out. Great shirt except for the length.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
I just got my shirt from the $20 off deal that was posted in B&S (thanks again guys!). On one hand I'm impressed with the fast turnaround, the material, the construction and the fit EXCEPT for the length. I'm 5'8" also and have a very tough fit (16.75" neck, 40" chest, very sloped shoulders, and pot belly). They nailed the fit almost perfectly BUT the shirt is only 24" long!?!?!?! I mean this really sucks because this shirt barely makes it down to my waist and is completely unwearable.

Outside of the paper thin MOP buttons I'd say this shirt is as nice as my Jantzens. The material is definitely very nice for the price. And fit is great except for the length. I don't even know if I want to bother with contacting them and trying to sort it out. Great shirt except for the length.

What length did you specify?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my first shirt from MT. I have used MyTailor/Hemrajani in the past and frankly I am far happier with MT, even though I was actually measured in person by MyTailor.

Fabric quality is entirely acceptable (two-ply of course). Next time I will lengthen the sleeves slightly and reduce the half-bicep measurement and waist by a bit as well, but for the price I am satisfied. This shirt will do fine for casual office wear.

Sorry about the photos. I have obviously not washed or ironed the shirt. Just wanted to show it.

IMG00029-20100105-1100.jpg

IMG00028-20100105-1100.jpg

IMG00027-20100105-1059.jpg

IMG00026-20100105-1059.jpg

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jw, what makes one shirt better constructed than another shirt? Anything I should be looking for? Or do I have to wear it for a year and see what happens?

These shirts are so cheap and the fabric is pretty darn decent that I'm tempted to just go with them for most of my shirts. But I have reservations. I'm past the cheap dress shirt phase to just "get by." I'm looking for quality shirts that will last and look good.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These shirts are so cheap and the fabric is pretty darn decent that I'm tempted to just go with them for most of my shirts. But I have reservations. I'm past the cheap dress shirt phase to just "get by." I'm looking for quality shirts that will last and look good.

I'd agree, except I have a rotation of 20 shirts, and ever-growing... this means most shirts only get worn 15 or so times per year... and I only dry-clean once every five or so wears, or when they get dirty... so I think if I can make a $50 shirt last three years, I'm doing just fine.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Here is my first shirt from MT.

IMG00029-20100105-1100.jpg

Looks good for a first shirt.

Also, looks like you went with the cutaway but, from what I can see, you doesn't look like you're having a problem with the collar points not laying flat that coltboy75 had. Can I ask what you provided for your "back" input on them measurments section. I entered "average" and I'm wondering if I entered "straight" this would help.

Also, if anyone could post a pic of a real life Modern Tailor buttondown collar it'd be greatly appreciated.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
Looks good for a first shirt. Also, looks like you went with the cutaway but, from what I can see, you doesn't look like you're having a problem with the collar points not laying flat that coltboy75 had. Can I ask what you provided for your "back" input on them measurments section. I entered "average" and I'm wondering if I entered "straight" this would help. Also, if anyone could post a pic of a real life Modern Tailor buttondown collar it'd be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I did do cut-away. It's not really that much a of a "cut-away" anyway, and I like it much better. I used "average." I definitely don't stand ram-rod straight or leaning back. I suspect the collar point thing has more to do with the fabric and little peculiarities within the manufacturing process that are difficult to control. I put that I had a flat stomach, since I do. I just ordered a button-down shirt so we'll see how that turns out. My last shirt was ordered on Dec 15 and arrived today so shipping is slow, or at least was slow over the holidays.

jobro

Reaction score
I just bought a Modern Tailor shirt, great quality for price. I have a bit of an issue with the collar size being an inch to big, however will ajust that next time I order.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
I just bought a Modern Tailor shirt, great quality for price. I have a bit of an issue with the collar size being an inch to big, however will ajust that next time I order.

Make sure you wash the one you have a few times before making any decisions about the collar size, it is likely to shrink a bit.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to give MT a try, but was hoping someone has ordered a button down yet. I want to see how they do their button downs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads