• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cheesecake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
Bought a Ralph Lauren charcoal wool suit on the spur of the moment. Taking it to the tailor tomorrow to get the pants done. No cuffs right? (yeah, I'm that clueless).

Generally, you should/could cuff if you are tall but if you are short, cuffs will make you look shorter.

Can anyone recommend a cobbler in Orange County, CA that could add Topy soles to my leather soled shoes?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Is there a danger with a shoe tree being a little too large?

I have run into a problem with some shoe trees I bought for some boots I own. The XL that the box said is sized correctly for my boots doesn't fill out the toebox completely and is not helping prevent creases from forming. I just got some XXL large trees in the same brand and while they fill out the toebox, i'm worried they could be too big and will stretch the boots out. When I hold the XXL trees up to my boots they are actually a little longer then the soles and I have to push the springs in more then I normally do with my trees to make it fit.

I realize there is not "perfect fit" but I am just looking for ways to keep my boots looking good without possible stretching them out.

If the trees are visibly deforming your boots, they could be acting essentially as shoe-stretchers, something you probably do not want. I don't use the same brand of shoe tree in all my shoes because some are a very poor fit for different lasts from different shoemakers. I would suggest looking for a different brand of shoe tree if you see visible deformation with the ones you are currently using.

sajone

Reaction score
Hey guys,
can anyone help me find the name/model number of these sunglasses John Candy is wearing in this picture.

John_Candy.jpg

any help would be much appreciated

SKater

Reaction score
The last suit I bought, the salesman told me to get a suit brush. After googling a suit brush I know what one looks like but what is the purpose of it?

Sydguy

Reaction score
What is the best way to get J Crew clothing in Australia? I check Ebay but would prefer an online shop or some such outlet with more styles/sizes to buy from. As yet J Crew do not ship down under!
Any ideas?

Timmbo

Reaction score
2ahcq55.png

Can anyone identify what glasses Dominic West is wearing here?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SKater
The last suit I bought, the salesman told me to get a suit brush. After googling a suit brush I know what one looks like but what is the purpose of it?
Dust and dirt tends to accumulate on the surface of wool clothing because it does not absorb moisture nearly as readily as cotton. As such, a brush is useful for removing such dirt.

Fyi, Kent brushes are highly regarded. I have the one below although it didn't cost that much when I purchased it.

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=51&catid=49

tsmurfenator

Reaction score
I am a 35" waist, and for pants (e.g. Incotex cotton trousers), I find 34" too tight, and 36" way too big.

Is it better to buy 34" and let out, and 36" and take in? The one time I tried to let out, tailor said it was not possible because extra fabric was discolored, also it loses the pretty waist notch. I've taken in a few 36" but never too happy with how they turn out, still too baggy especially in the waist.

Any advice?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianoh
Is it socially acceptable to wear a Woolrich parka over a suit when going to work? It looks fug, but it's 20 degrees here in NYC.

I would rather go cold than wear a parka over my suit.
smile.gif

Get a coat. Everything is on sale right now so there are many affordable options.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming over from SW&D and starting my 'dressier' wardrobe. I'm in college so I don't need anything very formal and over the top. What else should I add to my list? I plan on acquiring these items in Italy. I have a pair of APC new standards to go with some of the stuff but I'm wanting to incorporate in a nice pair of slacks. What would be the most versatile color that would also vibe with the oxfords? Should I maybe add a navy blazer to the long term list? Lastly, would it be most advantageous to go with brown or tan for the belt/oxfords? Thanks in advance guys!

1. White & Light Blue OCBD
2. Grey V-Neck Sweater
3. Brown or Tan Oxfords
4. Brown or Tan Belt

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsmurfenator
I am a 35" waist, and for pants (e.g. Incotex cotton trousers), I find 34" too tight, and 36" way too big.

Is it better to buy 34" and let out, and 36" and take in? The one time I tried to let out, tailor said it was not possible because extra fabric was discolored, also it loses the pretty waist notch. I've taken in a few 36" but never too happy with how they turn out, still too baggy especially in the waist.

Any advice?

There's not necessarily a hard and fast rule, but it's usually easier to take in than let out. In either case, you run into certain limitations such as the sizing of the seat area, etc., that will not accommodate significant alterations without requiring complete recutting of the trousers. If you're close to a 34, the ideal solution may actually be hitting the gym for an extra 15 minutes (or whatever) until you fit comfortably into them without the compromise of alterations.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Coming over from SW&D and starting my 'dressier' wardrobe. I'm in college so I don't need anything very formal and over the top. What else should I add to my list? I plan on acquiring these items in Italy. I have a pair of APC new standards to go with some of the stuff but I'm wanting to incorporate in a nice pair of slacks. What would be the most versatile color that would also vibe with the oxfords? Should I maybe add a navy blazer to the long term list? Lastly, would it be most advantageous to go with brown or tan for the belt/oxfords? Thanks in advance guys!

1. White & Light Blue OCBD
2. Grey V-Neck Sweater
3. Brown or Tan Oxfords
4. Brown or Tan Belt

That's a pretty broad question. What do you need a "dressier" wardrobe for? Regardless of the answer, unless you have money to burn, getting it in Italy is probably unnecessarily expensive considering your tastes and needs are almost certain to shade.

A navy blazer is an excellent idea. A pair of mid-gray or dark gray trousers is probably the most versatile pair you could acquire. Brown shoes are considerably more versatile than tan shoes. I would suggest a color other than gray for a sweater if you get gray trousers. Navy, olive, or brown are all pretty versatile alternatives for a sweater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics