• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for Law Office Interviews

wsblend

Reaction score
I will be sending out resumes for a paralegal position at small local law offices in San Jose, CA and I want to have a suit on hand for if I get an interview appointment.

Being frugal, I look at the less-expensive options first and saw this:
JC Penney Glen Plaid suit (scroll up on that page).

While I'm sure that a trained eye could discern that this is not an expensive suit, what I'm more concerned about is the pattern- is glen plaid considered "loud" or "busy"?

I would really like just a solid charcoal suit as I feel that would be the quietest and most versatile color. However, the linked suit is not only the right price but it's also available in my hard-to-find size; 38 Long.

I appreciate any helpful feedback.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsblend
I will be sending out resumes for a paralegal position at small local law offices in San Jose, CA and I want to have a suit on hand for if I get an interview appointment.

Being frugal, I look at the less-expensive options first and saw this:
JC Penney Glen Plaid suit (scroll up on that page).

While I'm sure that a trained eye could discern that this is not an expensive suit, what I'm more concerned about is the pattern- is glen plaid considered "loud" or "busy"?

I would really like just a solid charcoal suit as I feel that would be the quietest and most versatile color. However, the linked suit is not only the right price but it's also available in my hard-to-find size; 38 Long.

I appreciate any helpful feedback.

For a law interview - yes.

Plain navy or charcoal.

If you're really having issues, try JAB for cheap suits. But it'd be better to hit up Brooks Brothers now that their 50% clearance sale is going on.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
But it'd be better to hit up Brooks Brothers now that their 50% clearance sale is going on.
I'd also suggest BB while suits are on clearance. Some good deals on better suits are available.

shasta

Reaction score
I know from past experience when I was poor that these suits have zero quality and will rip easily.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe JC Penny thinks that suit looks good on that model. It's a tent. Go to BB.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsblend

Any interviewer with half a brain will know that someone in your position will likely not have the coin to toss on an expensive suit, so a cheap suit is fine. The key is to get the right cheap suit, and make sure it's properly tailored, & the rest of your outfit don't make any missteps.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find a reasonable inexpensive suit without lowering yourself to JC Penny's standards.

Try Jos A Bank or Macy's if you can't find a Brooks Bros in your area.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I can't believe JC Penny thinks that suit looks good on that model. It's a tent. Go to BB.

Of all the things to go after, you went with fit? They've clearly at least bothered to pin it in the back.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Of all the things to go after, you went with fit? They've clearly at least bothered to pin it in the back.

At least JC Penny's TRIES to make the suit look good on the model. Men's Scarehouse doesn't even try on their models, both in catalog shots and TV ads.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
If you can get a better quality suit for the same money, as others are suggesting, then of course you should do so.

But to answer your question, that pattern is fine. And as doc4 points out, whoever you'll be interviewing with knows that, with very limited exceptions, paralegals don't get paid big bucks. If you can't get a "better" suit, that one is perfectly fine.

I'm not sure why the fact that the suit fits the model poorly is supposed to be relevant for your purposes. To agree again with Doc4, get any suit -- cheap or expensive -- tailored to fit you properly, or it will look sloppy.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat

The suit is what it is. I'm not going to bother knocking the fabric or workmanship of a $120 suit, but the least they could do it find a size that fits their model. That jacket is HUGE on him and way too long. The pants look like they are his father's. I think they could probably sell a bunch of these to people like the OP who want an inexpensive suit if they spent some time to make it look good on the web site.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a lawyer and have assisted in the hiring of paralegals and law clerks

This suit by JCPenny is acceptable for an interview. The pattern is so subtle and at first I thought they put Glen Plaid in error...as it looks nothing like the bespoke POW suits that I have

Because the pattern (if noticeable at all when within a few feet of you), appears so subtle, it makes for a nice grey suit. Paired with a few light blue shirts and you will be fine.

Try it on first of all. If the fit is good, that is very important. This is a non-threatening suit. Besides as a lawclerk or paralegal...especially in San Jose...you will likely be wearing sweaters more often than the jacket from this suit. If you really like the suit's fit, see if they will allow you to purchase a second trouser...as you will be giving the trouser more wear & tear than the jacket...and often, will have the jacket hung up as you work

May your interview go well and hope the job works out for you. Now go grab this suit...but make sure you try it on first before you buy it.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
The suit is what it is. I'm not going to bother knocking the fabric or workmanship of a $120 suit, but the least they could do it find a size that fits their model. That jacket is HUGE on him and way too long. The pants look like they are his father's. I think they could probably sell a bunch of these to people like the OP who want an inexpensive suit if they spent some time to make it look good on the web site.

I think your idea of fit is SF-skewed. The jacket cuts him in half visually and is just past his behind. The pants are not Eurotrash tight, thank God, but fit quite passably. The shoulders are built up, but not over-large.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
The suit you've pictured is fine for a job interview as a paralegal. I've hired a number of paralegals at my lawfirm (personal injury practice) and how they dress is not nearly as important as their prior job experience and the ability to perform what will be expected of them. It's nice if they know how to dress, but not nearly as important as being able to perform a job.

shasta

Reaction score
Macy's Alfani Red Separates can be kopped for sup $200 - and at least they are slim fit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads