• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I can't wear lambswool on the skin at all due to itchiness. Cashmere I can deal with, but then again, I don't see any time when I'd be wearing nothing but a cashmere sweater. Especially if it's a v neck

Many people have trouble with one wool or the other ... thankfully, I can wear any most kinds of wool on my skin and be okay. The only time I had this itchiness issue was with a cheap lambswool sweater that I had years ago. I had to give it away.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not allergic, it's just coarse as hell. There's no way I'd ever wear this thing. I put on an undershirt and tried it on, and even though it fit perfectly, it was so damn coarse, even on my forearms, I realized it has to go back.

Was a little ticked when I looked on the receipt and read "no cash refunds". When I called for a return auth #, I mentioned the discrepancy with what the website states, and he assured me that I would receive a full refund, minus shipping.

I'd really like to find a nice cashmere sleeveless cardigan but they don't have any.

I bought the light grey NOS shetland sweater, BTW

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a fairly low tolerance for itchy wool as well and did not have any problems with the O'Connell's shetlands.

I did wear a Black Fleece buttondown underneath, though.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Not allergic, it's just coarse as hell. There's no way I'd ever wear this thing. I put on an undershirt and tried it on, and even though it fit perfectly, it was so damn coarse, even on my forearms, I realized it has to go back.

Was a little ticked when I looked on the receipt and read "no cash refunds". When I called for a return auth #, I mentioned the discrepancy with what the website states, and he assured me that I would receive a full refund, minus shipping.

I'd really like to find a nice cashmere sleeveless cardigan but they don't have any.

I bought the light grey NOS shetland sweater, BTW

Oconnells is a great shop, they have excellent customer service.

Did you consider trying out their newer shetlands? They have new ones for the same price as well. They are excellent too ...

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I'll either just go with something in cashmere that fills a gap in my wardrobe, or go with the wool sleeveless cardigan to wear under a SC. without the sleeves, there'd be no itch complaint.

To be honest, I really don't get the appeal of these sweaters. But I realize to each, his own.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
To be honest, I really don't get the appeal of these sweaters. But I realize to each, his own.

Too bad you don't like em ... cashmere is great, but I just happen to like the rustic look of these older shetlands. It is probably an acquired taste.

If you live in a city with a J. Press store, go and check out their shaggy dogs, I think you might like the looks of it better.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Oconnells is a great shop, they have excellent customer service.

Did you consider trying out their newer shetlands? They have new ones for the same price as well. They are excellent too ...

Agree on both accounts. All 5 of mine are new ones and the fit and quality is perfection!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I could really use a nice wine colored vest. I'm headed down to Franz Tailor in downtown SF, to pick up my Spano jacket that I've had converted into a three button and had the sleeves slimmed. I will likely wander around many of the shops while I'm down there. I'm going to google J. Press and see what I find.

Borrelli (or de corato now) sent me a 30% off coupon for certain unnamed items, I might go see what they've brought in since the change.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The J. Press are Shaggy Dogs are nice but a compeltely different look. They take fuzzy to a whole other level.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I am going get one later this year. Need more shetlands
smile.gif
What color(s) do you have?

I got these 5 from O'Connel's:

blue danube
heathered oatmel
charcoal
dirt (my favorite name)
lagoon green

I have these 3 from J.Press

mauve purple
persimmon
navy

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Agree on both accounts. All 5 of mine are new ones and the fit and quality is perfection!

I just recieved my size 38 NOS. Threw one on and headed out. I love it thus far...surprisingly warm for the weight.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I just recieved my size 38 NOS. Threw one on and headed out. I love it thus far...surprisingly warm for the weight.

Super warm, I agree. I just love the fit, almost bespoke-like.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman

Super! Post a pic.

Super warm, I agree. I just love the fit, almost bespoke-like.

The warmth for (how thin they are) is one big reason why I love them. As I wrote before, cashmere is good, but it is overhyped in my opinion.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you mention that these have a longer sleeve? This is my biggest issue with sweaters - I take a 38-40 in suits, but take a 27" sleeve on dress shirts. Yes, monkey arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics