• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lamb chops with pomegranite basalmic vinegar reduction and steamed broccoli.

Ilmari

Reaction score
Portuguese chorizo sausages and beluga lentils cooked with onion and garlic. It was excellent.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bunch of pics from the last few weeks. Clams:
dsc3037o.jpg
Christmas-y dinner:
dsc3040.jpg
Kaiten sushi in Sapporo:
dsc3110q.jpg
Salmon Roe sushi:
dsc3118.jpg
Cod unmentionables sushi:
dsc3121u.jpg
Crab sushi:
dsc3124t.jpg
Ramen:
dsc3485.jpg
Ramen:
dsc3631y.jpg
***** tuna sashimi (that's was some freakin ***** toro!):
dsc3712ob.jpg
Salmon roe:
dsc3713.jpg
Various sashimi:
dsc3716.jpg
Pork belly braised with kombu:
dsc3718s.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
A bunch of pics from the last few weeks.
As always, you manage to eat amazing grub every day. But, I do want to ask: do you ever get tired of eating the same type of food all the time? How about a little fried chicken, cheesesteak, or curry thrown in the mix?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
As always, you manage to eat amazing grub every day. But, I do want to ask: do you ever get tired of eating the same type of food all the time? How about a little fried chicken, cheesesteak, or curry thrown in the mix?
Yea, I eat a wide variety of stuff, had curry for dinner last night actually, but don't usually have a camera around. The pics above are from special events like xmas, new year and a few days on holiday in Hokkaido...not my usual everyday fare. I think I usually end up posting from those sort of events as I don't snap pics of more regular meals. But now that you mention it...haven't had a good cheesesteak in ages. BTW...been meaning to send you thanks about the hand grip recommendation. Good call...I love it!

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alter, I'd be interested in a Ramen soup recipe, should you be willing to share. Something not too spicy, it would be for my son, who adores all types of noodle soups.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made some osso bucco that was cut from 70 pound calves. I used the traditional Milanese recipe, but instead of straining the sauce and reducing it, which then often creates a sauce that is too rich for the level of thickness desired, I pureed the sauce without straining. This lead to a sauce that was perfect in it's richness and overall body.

I served it with saffron risotto and a simple green salad.

We also experimented with a lot of different wines, just to see how they worked with the meal:
Barbaresco
Tinto de Toro
Chateauneuf du Pape
Burgandy

I personally thought the Chateauneuf du Pape was delicious with the dish.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
***** tuna sashimi (that's was some freakin ***** toro!):
dsc3712ob.jpg

drool.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alter,

that is some tuna. mmmmm. the ramen looks great, too.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Alter, I'd be interested in a Ramen soup recipe, should you be willing to share. Something not too spicy, it would be for my son, who adores all types of noodle soups.

From scratch?

Ramen is one of those foods that is so good (and cheap) in restaurants that we usually eat that when we are out. It is like Japanese fast food...shops are everywhere.

Actually, it is rare for anyone to make the soup stock, roast pork or noodles at home. If we eat it at home we just use a packaged version and sometimes add a 7-minute boiled egg, some thinly sliced green onions or other vegetables and throw it all together.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
God I love ramen.
When we make it at home, which we have to do b/c the closest decent ramen is all the way in San Francisco, we just make a basic tonkotsu ramen stock. It's basically pork stock enriched with onion, ginger, leek, garlic, and konbu. After that, it's just the noodles, some pork, some green onions, some corn, and a hard boiled egg. If we had the patience to make pickled ginger at home, it'd be good on tonkotsu. Ours isn't really a true tonkotsu though, since we have a pretty rich, dark stock, compared to the more clear traditional kind.
It looks like Alter's ramen was a shoyu ramen. Yeah?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From scratch?

Ramen is one of those foods that is so good (and cheap) in restaurants that we usually eat that when we are out. It is like Japanese fast food...shops are everywhere.

Actually, it is rare for anyone to make the soup stock, roast pork or noodles at home. If we eat it at home we just use a packaged version and sometimes add a 7-minute boiled egg, some thinly sliced green onions or other vegetables and throw it all together.

I've found a place that has pretty good chinese packaged ramen, and I like to beef it up with roast pork, chile, chopped up veggies etc. but I really like to get good ramen at a resteraunt.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It looks like Alter's ramen was a shoyu ramen. Yeah?
Yup! The top one is shoyu and the lower one is Sapporo style, which uses a miso base. My favorite is Kyushu style, which uses a rich milky tonkotsu stock. Mmmmmmmm. Got a great place to take you for that when you come, Kwilk.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had chicken pot pies, made from scratch by my wife. Delicious puff pastry on top, yummy!

chicken.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads