• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Shinya Aoki is such a ****.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Daley will make it to GSP/if we'll get to see GSP absolutely demolish him.

I was bummed too. I thought Hazelett was doing alright but he probably should've shot sooner. Hopefully dude will keep fighting and keep improving.

Rashad was doing some pretty explosive stuff during the first two rounds, kind of a crazy strategy though it worked. I kept thinking he's gonna gas from all that ****, picking up Silva and running him across the Octagon looking for those takedowns. I would've liked to see him strike more but he played it safe.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I absolutely loathe the strategy of "take downs with no follow up for a sure-fire decision victory!" Just found this, from http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/3/...rt-for-ufc-108
Despite landing eight takedowns throughout the match, Evans managed to land only three strikes on the ground. It is exceedingly rare to see an instance where a fighter lands more takedowns than ground strikes. In fact, Evans now holds the record for least strikes landed by a fighter with five or more takedowns landed. ... This, of course, begs the question represented by the equation in the title: In the absence of any striking (or submission attempts, for that matter) once on the ground, are takedowns really an effective offensive technique?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Do you train or fight? I apologize if you do and if your comment comes out of experience rather than ignorance, but this is the type of attitude that makes me dislike casual fans. I have a striking background, but the clinch and ground game is remarkable, and really, the core strength of MMA. The striking at the top levels of MMA is subpar to similar levels in other sports - K-1, boxing, etc..., with few individual exceptions (** Penn, Shogun, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Moussasi, Fedor (who looks crazy and sloppy, but has great striking, nearly perfectly geared for MMA).)

Edit: That transition from rubber guard to a very tight Oma Plata with the opposite leg across the body is pretty amazing and really makes the natural rollout escape nearly impossible. You don't even need the arm across the back, which is the usual way to prevent the escape. McCrory made a big mistake posting that arm so low on an accomplished 10th planet guy.

i understand what youre saying, but i can say there is nothing worse then watching a fight with some guy who just got into the whole mma bullshit wave and wants to tell you about everything thats going on like he knows. OMG look at that double arm sweep take down! SO CRISP! yet he just read everything on the internet and went to 1 bjj class. it gets very annoying.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

A big fat plus one to that. I hope someday he fights ** just so I can watch him get the **** kicked out of him.

The card was decent. Lots of finishes, which usually means lots of mismatches. Only really two or maybe three relevant fights on that card but I did enjoy watching it. Silva needed to just go balls out in round three. Its not like he had anything to save himself for. That's what makes Fedor so good, he is ALWAYS trying to end the fight.

Hazeleet should have tried a takedown, a clinch something. I don't understand why guys fall in love with their c level kickboxing. His only chance, and it was a very good chance, was in getting the fight to the ground. Throw a few shots and get in the clinch at least. Damien Maia was/is great at this, at least until he decided to get stupid with a ******* head kick against a vastly superior striker.

track309

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

Yeah, what was up with giving your opponent the bird after you broke or dislocated his arm? Props to Hirota for not tapping out. That was CRAZY!!!

Also, if you watched the fight in HD, it is clear that Oveerem is taking steriods with all that acne on his back. He has been getting bigger and bigger at each event.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
So bummed at the outcome of the Hazelett fight

Ditto, but I think that this is the current trend. Randy Couture, much to the dismay of my BJJ loving friends, said that he thinks that submissions will eventually become a non-factor in MMA, and especially submissions from the back, because defensive BJJ + GNP is so much easier than pulling off a something technical and difficult at the best of times. This really puts a mainly BJJ guy like Demian Maia or Dustin Hazelett at a big disadvantage. Take the Mike Pyle fight, for example. In a submission wrestling match, he was well ahead and would have won that fight. But an opponent with heavy hands only needs to posture up and couple of good shots to negate all of your hard work . Like all things, I think that submission artists will find safer neutral positions, and the pendulum will swing back. However, it doesn't seem like it's going that way right now.

Re. instant experts - yeah, annoying. But at least they are trying.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by track309
Yeah, what was up with giving your opponent the bird after you broke or dislocated his arm? Props to Hirota for not tapping out. That was CRAZY!!!

Also, if you watched the fight in HD, it is clear that Oveerem is taking steriods with all that acne on his back. He has been getting bigger and bigger at each event.

Umm, no? Hirota should have tapped. Bottom line. That was his own fault.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
I think only because of this was he able to throw evans off his game and win the 3rd round.

Exactly. I don't think Silva is an idiot at all. He baited Rashad and it worked perfectly.

I personally think Silva should have won that final round 10-8. A fighter who BARELY makes it out of a round should not be awarded 9 points.

track309

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Umm, no? Hirota should have tapped. Bottom line. That was his own fault.

No, I was baffled as to why Aoki gave Hirota the finger after defeating him...seems out of character for Aoki. He usually cries after fights, win or lose.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by track309
No, I was baffled as to why Aoki gave Hirota the finger after defeating him...seems out of character for Aoki. He usually cries after fights, win or lose.

I thought it was because Hirota didn't tap, he was pissed that he broke his arm.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
If I was Japanese and fighting in MMA, especially in Japan, I probably wouldn't tap either.

Lendo

Reaction score
There was "beef" between their respective dojos leading up to the fight. That's why Aoki acted that way. That break was pretty brutal, but that's what happens when you don't tap.
UFC was an alright card, glad i didn't shell out the $ to watch it though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads