• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skagen Watches

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I received a Skagen Watch from my father this summer from St. Kits and Nevis and I love it, does anyone else own one? What other watches do you like?

full.fx.fx

cgo

Reaction score
Yup...got one skagen watch myself here,...they are nice minimalistic watches.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, clean and simple.

I'm not a fan of quartz and stick with mechanical watches.

Entry level -- Seiko, Oris, Hamilton, O&W
Mid tier -- Omega, Chronoswiss, IWC
High end -- FM, PP, GP, AP, Breguet

Twotone

Spizzy

Reaction score
For the price there isn't anything I like more. I have one and wear it all the time.
IMG_2569.jpg

Scuttlebutt

Reaction score
I have one. Similar to that. Thin as hell for pretty cheap.

2 weeks of wearing it, the leather band begins to separate. I emailed Skagen asking for a replacement, and they took my name and address and I never heard from them again. I still wear the watch casually, but as far as I'm concerned, the watches and the company are crap.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spizzy
For the price there isn't anything I like more. I have one and wear it all the time.

IMG_2569.jpg

I've the same one as above -- I'm a big fan of it, and I've received nothing but compliments on it.

I do not see the point behind spending a lot of money on a mechanical watch while ignoring modern technology, but hey, whatever.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm a big fan of Skagen -- their watches are simple, elegant, minimalist, and very sleek. To top it all, I've never had any problems with them, and they seem to last a very long time.

A few forum members (LawyerDad, if I remember right) have had problems with them -- but my personal experience has been quite pleasant.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one about 10 years ago and it lasted about 5 years before it broke down. Took it to my jeweler and it worked for like 3 days and died again and has been sitting since. If I needed to buy a watch I'd buy another just for the fact that I like a lot of the designs and they're one of the thinnest watches available...at a very reasonable price. I've got a couple old Seiko Lasalles that are the sheeot if you have small wrists and need a thinner watch. Good luck trying to find a nice design in good shape though...they're becoming rare. Nothing wrong with a Skagen Denmark (made in China) though.

Godot

Reaction score
They make a beautiful thin functional watch and can be found really cheap. What's not to like?

musick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spizzy

IMG_2569.jpg

Sweet watch!

How does the 2nd hand move? I only ask because Amazon says, "Silver-tone luminous hands are complemented by a sweeping seconds hand..."

Since its quartz, I have a hard time believing the sweep statement.

Regardless and as you said, for the price point, Skagen makes a VERY fine watch IMO.

Na Zdrowie!

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
I got one about 10 years ago and it lasted about 5 years before it broke down. Took it to my jeweler and it worked for like 3 days and died again and has been sitting since. If I needed to buy a watch I'd buy another just for the fact that I like a lot of the designs and they're one of the thinnest watches available...at a very reasonable price. I've got a couple old Seiko Lasalles that are the sheeot if you have small wrists and need a thinner watch. Good luck trying to find a nice design in good shape though...they're becoming rare. Nothing wrong with a Skagen Denmark (made in China) though.

Yeah that tends to be my problem, I have small-ish wrists. I am roughly 5'6" and 140-150 lbs with an athletic build, so large clunky watches look terrible. I love the slimness of the Skagen watches.

Since some people here have had rough pasts with them, what are some other brands that make similar thin style watches, but I do not have to give and arm, leg, and my first born son to get?

Spizzy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musick
Sweet watch!

How does the 2nd hand move? I only ask because Amazon says, "Silver-tone luminous hands are complemented by a sweeping seconds hand..."

Since its quartz, I have a hard time believing the sweep statement.

Regardless and as you said, for the price point, Skagen makes a VERY fine watch IMO.

Na Zdrowie!

It ticks, does not sweep.

I've worn this watch 3-4 days a week, for the last 10 months or so and it is in perfect shape. I don't treat it too well either...

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Since some people here have had rough pasts with them, what are some other brands that make similar thin style watches, but I do not have to give and arm, leg, and my first born son to get?

Yeah, I don't know, I'm not really a watch guy but those old 80's era Seiko Lasalles are the thinnest watches I've ever seen and my watch guy says that they have "the most beautiful movement he's ever seen", FWIW. The problem is that 90+% of the line was some really gaudy stuff and they used a gold plating that would wear off over time...so it is hard to find anything that is decent in good shape. But the watches themselves are bulletproof. I sold them way back when and they retailed from about $650-1200 (25 years ago). Fortunately I only wear a watch 10 or 12 times a year so I doubt that I'll wear mine out.

You can Google them and see what's out there. When you can find them they go for cheap...about $200-300. I really did like that Skagen though and got a ton of compliments on it. I'd buy another if I was in the market. The only thing I didn't like about it was the face that said "SKAGEN Denmark" and the back plate that said "China".
facepalm.gif

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I've the same one as above -- I'm a big fan of it, and I've received nothing but compliments on it.

I do not see the point behind spending a lot of money on a mechanical watch while ignoring modern technology, but hey, whatever.sant.

if you want technology get a digital watch

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
if you want technology get a digital watch

I wear digital watches all the time. Your point?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one with a deep blue dial and like it. They are thin, sharp and sleek. Very appropriate for daily wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads