• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Temple of Jawnz Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwydion

Reaction score
So I can send you my payment as soon as the sizing gets up? To the bank I go!
laugh.gif

JonB27

Reaction score
I got a brown bomber jacket from TOJ about a month back, quality and fit were spot on. I will definitely be a return customer.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Well, not to drum up any peacoat wars here, and they are two entirely different things in the end, but pre-ordering is going to work just like anything else I've made; if you like it, send a payment over, wait patiently for 2-3 weeks, receive, be pleased, report back. That seems to be the regular pattern for TOJ items, I get a lot of private emails from satisfied people and the second and third timers have the faith. I know it's super asshole-y of me to be like this, but 1) I am running out of time on these things and I must get them out, even if I die trying, and 2) there's no more money or time to make more samples for photographing, so the one sample will have to suffice. In the future I do hope to have samples in more colors and stuff if I offer them that way, but for now, colors you can entrust to me, I make sure they match well. This isn't the hardest part of the process by any means. When I say 'black and white mini herringbone peacoat with black leather collar and pocket trim' I think it's easy enough to picture it in your head somewhat, and navy, black, and loden green should be even easier to imagine, you've seen a black or navy peacoat before I am sure, and I will make sure they look great. The sample is the final pattern, with final sizing announced tomorrow. The wool will be upgraded to an insane level and the leather is good, as you guys probably already know. The standard lining will be cupro, which I recommend you stick with as standard. It will allow the coat the best overall look, and give you room to layer from the inside. I want you to wear this peacoat for years and years. I will wear mine forever, it'll be that peacoat in my closet where I say 'yo I remember back when I made this in 2010' and I bet that odds are, it's still going to look cool as **** in 10, 20 years
Man, I should not have made the WvG comparison. I realise they're different situations (and said that), but people end up getting the wrong idea anyway. I'm just trying to say that when we're talking about a $500 peacoat, it's hard to swallow that on faith. Pictures of the fabrics, sizing charts, a more exact idea of how heavy the fabric is, etc would all be helpful, that's all. There are plenty of possible shades loden green could refer to, which is probably the hardest one to visualize. Black is easy, obviously. Definite no on 18.5" shoulders, or should I just wait for the sizing chart (if there's going to be one)?
Originally Posted by joel_954
Is it similar to satin? Like I said before, I want a slick lining. Something that makes the coat easy on and easy off. The WvG peacoat has a cotton lining and it is difficult to put on and very difficult to take off. Any lining that is not like satin will be like that. It is hard on sweaters and pulls and stretched them, especially to bulky sweaters. I've also seen coats that have fleece for a lining, even the sleeve was lined with fleece. Talk about a nightmare to get on and off. For a summer piece it isn't as much of an issue since short sleeve shirts are worn more regularly. I can't stress enough how much I would like a smooth, slick lining (I'm not sure how else to describe it). Something satin-like please. I think most people know what satin is like.
Dude, cupro's easy. Chill. Cotton lining isn't even that bad unless you make the mistake of lining the sleeves with it, which I guess Mauro did? I didn't really follow the details of that one.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I was worried about the shoulder measurements too arethusa, but front shoulder measurements are usually an inch shoulder than back shoulder measurements (which is what most people think of when they think shoulder measurements).

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the leathers or the peacoat? The moto has identical front and back shoulders, which if anything makes the 50 with 19.5" shoulders even closer to an XL. The 50 double rider has 18" shoulders, which seems narrow but is at least closer to making sense to me. I just don't know about the peacoat, but I'm assuming the 17" = S, 1" gradations that drew reported for it refers to the back shoulder measurements, and even if it doesn't, I don't see how that helps.

Alex can jump in with his "SF people don't understand measurements" textblock again, but he's built like a hipster skeleton.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
satin is a weave, cupro is a material in that weave.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

Dude, cupro's easy. Chill. Cotton lining isn't even that bad unless you make the mistake of lining the sleeves with it, which I guess Mauro did? I didn't really follow the details of that one.

Ya I got carried away. Yes the sleeves are lined with cotton, denim to be exact. I asked him to make it with a liner like satin, but he went with the denim.

schrike

Reaction score
Hey, could you answer a quick question about the mini-herringbone for the peacoat? What does it look like from a distance -- a dark grey, or can you still see the pattern? I like the idea of a nice grey peacoat that resolves to a detailed mini-herringbone; but not sure about it if it looks kind of speckly...

I also sent you an email about this and sizing yesterday -- if you could get back to me on that soon, I'd love to place a pre-order with the first batch, which it sounds like is nearly set.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Jeff

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

Cupro is actually made from regenerated cellulose from cotton plants. I personally have no problem with a rougher lining on coats like peacoats, nor do I really understand how guys really have that much trouble getting their arms into their jackets. I do like the cool, smooth hand of cupro though.

user7

Reaction score
could anyone post a pic of loden gray and herringbone for those of us who are worried we are imagining it incorrectly? Even an internet picture of someting not TOJ, just same color?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll get color swatches of both the fabric and leather up tomorrow (actually later today) for everyone. I don't have the updated materials at my house, nor do I have anything but the black leather, but I can grab swatches of each and sew them together in combos so you can see what they will look like.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Cupro is actually made from regenerated cellulose from cotton plants. I personally have no problem with a rougher lining on coats like peacoats, nor do I really understand how guys really have that much trouble getting their arms into their jackets. I do like the cool, smooth hand of cupro though.

That's awesome, didn't know that. Cupro is very standard material though, many garments you end up with (and almost everything tailored) comes with it usually.

I didn't know the WvG peacoat had the denim lining in it til I read that in this thread and went and checked; that's actually pretty cool. I had considered an oxford cloth body + cupro sleeve lining in my coat, but nixed that idea, I prefer slick linings too on coats like this.
I can tell you that Mauro put a lot of money into that WvG peacoat though, that lining would've been a lot of money he didn't really need to spend, as cupro is honestly only about $1/yard and that denim lining he has is more than several multiples of that, cotton woven fabric is not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads