• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for a Date

Barnabus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
How about this?

ManShowkid.jpg

or maybe this as well
lol8[1].gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color of those shoes is nice, but the shoes themselves are horrible.

But keep in mind that women can sense immediately when a man is trying to impress them - and that's a turnoff to many, if not most.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer
Chicks dig ugly shoes on guys. You should be good to go with your outfit.

Actually, that seems to be the case time and again!

I was out on a "shopping date" with a girl recently. She took me to Aldo and showed me all the shoes she loved there - they were all ugly, square-toed, cheap-looking, typical Aldo-style. Then I took her to a RL store and showed her the RLPL Denver in dark brown. Her eyes almost popped out and she said: "Wow! These shoes are WAY better than any of those ones! There is no comparison!"

She's learning... :)

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
If your date is worth dating, aim to get to know her and don't worry about getting laid.

This way you'll get laid.
smile.gif

+100000000000000

Mr. White

Reaction score
First date: Casual but not careless. Don't dress to impress. Just make sure your clothes are clean and don't have any holes or tears. The first date is always supposed to be inexpensive (but not Burger King), daytime or early evening, public places, no going into the other's home unless family present. Going out with a group is the safest. Tell her in advance where you're going so she won't freak out about her clothes and hair. NO SEX. Do yourself a big favor and masturbate a couple of hours beforehand. Get that stress level low. Don't talk a lot, let her ramble on and be positive about her opinions. Say a lot of things like "uh, huh" and "what did you do next?" Don't drag out the goodbye, be cool about parting.

Second date: not pricey, but better be nice atmosphere and service. Second date is all about flirting. Be playful. Dress up some since you're making more effort for her enjoyment. Kissing great, some touching, no heavy pressure to make out. Sex not recommended this early in the relationship if you want to have months or even years of sex with her.

Third date: if you don't score, you did something wrong. Women know that the third date ends in sex, so if she accepts your invitation, she's expecting you to be manly and mature and romantic.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
First date: Casual but not careless. Don't dress to impress. Just make sure your clothes are clean and don't have any holes or tears. The first date is always supposed to be inexpensive (but not Burger King), daytime or early evening, public places, no going into the other's home unless family present. Going out with a group is the safest. Tell her in advance where you're going so she won't freak out about her clothes and hair. NO SEX. Do yourself a big favor and masturbate a couple of hours beforehand. Get that stress level low. Don't talk a lot, let her ramble on and be positive about her opinions. Say a lot of things like "uh, huh" and "what did you do next?" Don't drag out the goodbye, be cool about parting.

Second date: not pricey, but better be nice atmosphere and service. Second date is all about flirting. Be playful. Dress up some since you're making more effort for her enjoyment. Kissing great, some touching, no heavy pressure to make out. Sex not recommended this early in the relationship if you want to have months or even years of sex with her.

Third date: if you don't score, you did something wrong. Women know that the third date ends in sex, so if she accepts your invitation, she's expecting you to be manly and mature and romantic.

I agree with the above advice in general, except the 3rd date part. Just because a woman accepts your invitation to a 3rd date doesn't necessarily mean she has sex on her mind. Many women go out with a guy just because he is spending money on them even if they have no intention of sleeping with him. Many women are happy to provide "company for money", as they (proudly) call it.

The 3rd date should be the filter to see whether she is interested in something or whether she is just stringing you along and enjoying the "wining and dining". You'd be surprised how many fall into the latter category!

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Every girl I know understands that if by the 3rd date sex doesn't happen, then she is not really in to the dude, and that the dude will not stick around after that.

I am in a position where I am approaching the 3rd date with woman. If nothing happens I am out like fire. I think she has been holding out to the third date so she doesn't feel like a slut. I respect that.

Too bad for her, I have already mentally kicked her out of my life and I am only waiting to "close the deal" before I delete her number.
devil.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If she is blind and does not see your shoes....you will be set!

DavidinGray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer
Every girl I know understands that if by the 3rd date sex doesn't happen, then she is not really in to the dude, and that the dude will not stick around after that.

I am in a position where I am approaching the 3rd date with woman. If nothing happens I am out like fire. I think she has been holding out to the third date so she doesn't feel like a slut. I respect that.

Too bad for her, I have already mentally kicked her out of my life and I am only waiting to "close the deal" before I delete her number.
devil.gif

You are a pig.

DIG

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience, third date does not equal sex. I feel that it is dependent on the girl...

And as for advice to the OP... Seriously just wear what is comfortable to you. As soon as you start worrying, anyone will be able to tell that you are on nerves. Just don't worry about it too much, and just go with it. The more you think about it, the worse off you are going to be. I would also stop reading this thread, because I feel that everyone is giving you conflicting advice
smile.gif

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the dating tips and what not, but I think I am fine in that department, I know to do's and don'ts and all of that.

My question is, what looks good under a v-neck sweater like the one i posted? I like the look of the white dress shirt with a tie under the sweater, but I feel like that would be at the risk of looking pretty Fratty (yes, yes, I am in a fraternity....) and fratty does not ever equal stylish.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Considering both all the 3rd date advice here and the thread topic, don't forget this in your outfit:

0ae8_1.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads