• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for a Date

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before anyone could give good counsel on this, as others have partially indicated, one would have to know something about the girl, her background, tastes, etc., and what kind of date is planned.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it would be nice to see pictures of all 4 but I think you have a great look picked out.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottw
i'd say that a tie might work if it's knit. especially with a pair of dark jeans, but it's all in the details. i could see those shoes with some boot cut jeans, and well everything going south without more info to judge.

i agree with everyone else. be yourself and be comfortable.

yeah they are a slim boot cut pair of jeans so they won't look awkward.
thank you everyone for the positive comments.
everyone else, im a poor college student and don't have the funds to drop on a more expensive pair of shoes. i like them and they look good on me and thats what matters.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
it would be nice to see pictures of all 4 but I think you have a great look picked out.

1) jeans (http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=62)

2) sweater (http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=60)

3) watch - they discontinued the model i have. it looks like this but is a rose gold with a brown leather strap (http://www.skagen.com/item/803XLTRB.fx)

4) shoes (http://www.dockersshoes.com/p/43919/...CTIVE-Tan.aspx)

5) and this is me (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink)

again, don't knock the prices/brands
im doing what i can as a poor college student

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck on losing your virginity.

Oh, and
lurker[1].gif

Barnabus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
ok, **** the details and what anyone else will or wont say about your brands of clothing

what truly matters is that you wear whats comfortable to you. if you wear whats comfortable, you'll come across genuine and relaxed. if you wear something thats not you, you'll be a little more on edge and with doubt. a good 95% of getting a chick is confidence confidence confidence. thats it.

wear clothing that you are confident in. if that's a pair of dockers, then you'll do better in them than a pair of loaks you feel like a fake in.

and if you wear what is truly you, whatever that is, it lets her decide if she likes who you are, not some silly front you're anticipating she might like.

this guy hit the nail on the head listen to him

aguydude

Reaction score
just wear what you wore when you met her the first place. Don't change your whole wardrobe just because it's a date, that's so try-hard.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
for college student attire those clothes, although not my cup of tea, are probably ahead of the curve. don't overdo it trying to impress here either. college guys don't get laid b/c they dress well, they get laid b/c they are confident. the clothes will be more of a factor as you get older.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I'm def. not changing my wardrobe for her by any means, I've always dressed pretty much the same, I just wanted to do something new and fresh and i haven't worn before. But I am not changing myself for her at all.

Thank you for your opinions!!

DavidinGray

Reaction score
I would substitute the express jeans for a pair in a plain wash, such as these:
http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3692026
A jean with such a pronounced distressing effect won't very well compliment an otherwise lush-looking sweater. The shoes are not as bad as others have said, and I've always felt that a man comfortable in $50 shoes will always look much better than a man uncomfortable in $600 shoes.

Good luck on your date.

DIG

PS: I know you're a college student, but I would stay away from Express clothing in most scenarios. Overpriced and without the quality to back it up; there are much better options for the money. Just my $0.02.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
again, don't knock the prices/brands im doing what i can as a poor college student
Those shoes
eek.gif
You'd be much better off with a pair of Clark's Desert Boots. Also, they're significantly more versatile. They run 1/2 size large, so take that into mind when ordering. And it it's between Chucks or the Dockers, I would take the Chucks. By a landslide.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
I'm def. not changing my wardrobe for her by any means, I've always dressed pretty much the same, I just wanted to do something new and fresh and i haven't worn before. But I am not changing myself for her at all. Thank you for your opinions!!
If your date is worth dating, aim to get to know her and don't worry about getting laid. This way you'll get laid.
smile.gif

CashmereLover

Reaction score

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah they are a slim boot cut pair of jeans so they won't look awkward.
thank you everyone for the positive comments.
everyone else, im a poor college student and don't have the funds to drop on a more expensive pair of shoes. i like them and they look good on me and thats what matters.

If you like them and they look good on you, then you shouldnt go around asking for opinions about them?

Honestly, I worked through college and made enough to buy what I wanted, so did alot of my friends. Hell, one of them bought a stainless/gold Breitling with the money he made trading stocks and interning while in school. So thats not a passable defense in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads