• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dawit
A nobrainer. Whats the benefit when soaking?

strengthens fibers and shrinks further.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Quick: what's a jean that looks very similar to the Thin Finn cut? My legs are about as skinny as they come and I'm into a skinny fit - not skin tight, but form-fitting.

dawit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wahwho11

OK, whats the point of shrinkin even more if I sized 2 down and the jeans feel really slim.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dawit
OK, whats the point of shrinkin even more if I sized 2 down and the jeans feel really slim.

The point is to get all the shrinkage out, since sanforized denim does shrink a bit if you wash it, be it only 3%.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wahwho11
It won't strengthen anything...... Soaking sanforized denim is good because it gets what little shrink it can out (ALL denim will shrink when first exposed to water and when exposed to heat) as well as "loosen up" the indigo dye (getting rid of any excess allowing for the jeans to fade faster)

pdeng

Reaction score
So my PBJ XX-005s have been my bread and butter jean for the past four months. Some of the thread is ripping off (mainly in the crotch and the pocket, but it doesn't seem like a big deal). Should I get someone to punch those suckers back in?

This is a more pressing question though, so I was at a bonfire last night and we were having a grand old time as it was raining and drinking. Now the problem was that everyone was acting a fool and I got a shitload of mud, vomit, and alcohol all over them. I'm kind of curious if I should wash them or just rub the dirt off and keep it clean off the washer/dryer.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdeng
This is a more pressing question though, so I was at a bonfire last night and we were having a grand old time as it was raining and drinking. Now the problem was that everyone was acting a fool and I got a shitload of mud, vomit, and alcohol all over them. I'm kind of curious if I should wash them or just rub the dirt off and keep it clean off the washer/dryer.

You really ought to wash them. Hang them dry, but you don't want to wear all that **** around.

c00kz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
It won't strengthen anything...... Soaking sanforized denim is good because it gets what little shrink it can out (ALL denim will shrink when first exposed to water and when exposed to heat) as well as "loosen up" the indigo dye (getting rid of any excess allowing for the jeans to fade faster)

Not strengthen literally, but cotton fibers when starched become brittle and dry and more prone to tear, don't they? I'm looking at the number of washed denim blow-outs versus dry denim blow outs (on jeans which ironically cost 3x as much). Cotton absorbs moisture and can flex after being submerged in water, you put lots of strain on your cotton jeans, so go ahead and soak 'em.

pdeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zzzzzard
You really ought to wash them. Hang them dry, but you don't want to wear all that **** around.

I just soaked them in tepid water and agitated the **** out of them with my hands. The water was probably the grossest water I've ever seen. Now I know why we invented the washing machine.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
Not strengthen literally, but cotton fibers when starched become brittle and dry and more prone to tear, don't they? I'm looking at the number of washed denim blow-outs versus dry denim blow outs (on jeans which ironically cost 3x as much). Cotton absorbs moisture and can flex after being submerged in water, you put lots of strain on your cotton jeans, so go ahead and soak 'em.
Actually, the majority of damages aren't because the denimis inferior or weaker or anything, it's simply because people who wear raw denim tend to wear their jeans continuously for far longer than most people. If you were to wear "normal" washed jeans for months day after day, in most cases they'd fall apart far before a pair of quality raws

praguewatermelon

Reaction score
I bought a pair of raw denim, and the label says that it can shrink up to 3%. Does that mean it is not sanforized? Thanks!

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by praguewatermelon
I bought a pair of raw denim, and the label says that it can shrink up to 3%. Does that mean it is not sanforized? Thanks!
3% is well within sanforized ranges

Tim_Whatley

Reaction score
ok so i've been breaking in a new pair of 3sixteen straight legs and they're the first pair of raw jeans i've ever owned. I always wear 33 waist but i sized down to 32. i've noticed that because they're a bit smaller and because they're still so stiff (after 3 wears) that it's kind of hard to sit down, especially without 'saying yes to crack'. does this problem go away as they get worked in? particularly the ass cleavage, as that makes me quite self conscious.
thanks

JasonHe

Reaction score
Tim, are your jeans extremeley stiff? If so they might stretch if they have any elastane in it which you can check, personally ive had jeans that were tight to begin but they werent stiff, but they did have elastane and the ass did get looser. hope that helps.

I have jean.... Bought cheap mondays raws today, does anyone have a picture of a pair that are actually worn in, like specifically cheap mondays, i have yet to see one :S

ivan k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emeterioy
hey guys I dont know if this is the right thread for my question. Im trying to find my waist size for jeans, when I measure the part where my jeans sit it measures at 36 inches. im 5'10 165lbs. I can fit into sz33 levis 514 and it would be a liitle loose but can still be worn without a belt and a size 32 levis would fit alittle tight. any help?

I was hoping for an answer to this too, since I'm in the same boat and I don't really understand it since everyone says to measure around where your jeans sit and that's your waist size. When I measure around I'm 36 too, but I wear size 33 comfortably.

I found my waist size by finding a pair of jeans that fit well and measuring them. Take a measurement of your levis across the waist, aligning the top, and that should be it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads