• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Res at Opus. Anyone been?

No. Should I?

Originally Posted by ersatzmoe
Worth looking into O Noir.
http://www.onoir.com/TO/frames.htm

I went shortly after it was open. My review is something like 10 pages back. It's worth trying once. I didn't think I'd go back again. One thing to be sure is NOT to bring some claustrophobic mate or date to the dinner.

I only got back from London this week. It sucks the only place I've been is Marche where I rang up a tab so big, I should've just claimed my card was lost. Also rocked out at the little bar at the Royal York today - free food with paid drinks. Hurray!

You know what's sad is BlogTO did a 15 lunch places that suck at your wallet (okay I paraphrased liberally) and I went to all of them! I need to broaden my horizons perhaps.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the Eight Wine Bar at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. The place was empty so my reservations were totally unnecessary. Main portions were a bit small. I had the Arctic Char with the Scallop to start. My friend had her Fried Veggie Lasagna. We split the desert (some banana caramel thingy).

Altogther $125+tip including a bottle of wine and two scotches.

Service was okay but they gave us a terrible seat despite the place being empty! And the reviews are true - for a wine bar they never have any wine you choose. They keep substituting some other wine.

Night cap at Just Desserts (?) near her place kahluas and spanish coffees.

Anyway, not going back.

sjg22

Reaction score
I've had a number of bad experiences at Mercatto - now I just go to Terroni and get better food, and quickly.

Originally Posted by fwiffo
I had a very soft veggie pizza at Mercatto next to Rosewater.

No seat at all for Monday lunch (geez, and I thought I was going to the less busy one compared to Bay Street) so we sat at the bar. You ask for a glass of water, you just get the glass. I guess you pretend the water is in there. Menus were left sitting in front of me throughout the meal until they couldn't fit the dishes in. And then I checked my coat but they got the wrong one. Good thing I brought a chesterfield so I could point out I have a velvet collar.

Pretty crappy for a $40 lunch that lasted 60 mins.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjg22
I've had a number of bad experiences at Mercatto - now I just go to Terroni and get better food, and quickly.

I wholeheartedly agree now thinking back to my previous 2 experiences at different Mercattos.

I was at Sultan's Tent last night getting sloshed. Fixed price but we still racked up 180 + tip. They have a pretty good selection scotch for a theme restaurant. My work mate wanted to try the Middle Eastern liquers but even the waiter discouraged us from doing that.

The dancer was unremarkable.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Team lunch yesterday so I picked up a $225 tab at Queen & Beaver. Who knew Gastropubs could be that expensive.

Had the rabbit and potato pie, which was nice. Portions were nicely sized and not too big. London Pride is a bit colder here than when I had them over in London couple of weeks ago.

Dinner date cancelled on me and I had a tickle in my throat - hope this doesn't ruin Christmas Eve!

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captain John is closing - yes I'm bored on New Year's Day.

Has anyone been to the Reservoir Lounge? It's pretty close to me and I've been looking for a watering hole after work when I want to grab a drink alone.

Sports bars are too loud and other than hotel bars, there doesn't seem to be any old fashioned ones left.

Albern

Reaction score
Captain John is closing - yes I'm bored on New Year's Day.

Has anyone been to the Reservoir Lounge? It's pretty close to me and I've been looking for a watering hole after work when I want to grab a drink alone.

Sports bars are too loud and other than hotel bars, there doesn't seem to be any old fashioned ones left.

Hey Fwiffo,

First I just want to thank you especially for all of your recommendations. It helps someone like me who is especially picky when it comes to food and restaurants.

As for Reservoir Lounge, I've been there a few times during the first half of the past decade and it was (at the time) or still could be a pretty cool place if you're into jazz. The crowd is anywhere from ages 20 to 40 and a lot of people were dancing on the dance floor too. Keep in mind this was back when big band and swing were really popular (thanks Gap commercials for ugly khakis).

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Hey Fwiffo,

First I just want to thank you especially for all of your recommendations. It helps someone like me who is especially picky when it comes to food and restaurants.

As for Reservoir Lounge, I've been there a few times during the first half of the past decade and it was (at the time) or still could be a pretty cool place if you're into jazz. The crowd is anywhere from ages 20 to 40 and a lot of people were dancing on the dance floor too. Keep in mind this was back when big band and swing were really popular (thanks Gap commercials for ugly khakis).

Wow - thanks, you made may new year's when you think I'm a foodie. Of course, I don't quite dine at the exclusive places as those who do at Colborne Lane and audiophilia seems to frequent some posh places that I haven't made it out to. I'm glad my rants come to some kind of an effect
wink.gif

I'm in love with Sophie Milman so I'm pretty into jazz I think. Just wanted to find a place to crash after a long work day to be honest. The cover doesn't scare me so much as I didn't know what crowd it attracted. I'll definitely try it out on Monday and see.

Albern

Reaction score
Wow - thanks, you made may new year's when you think I'm a foodie. Of course, I don't quite dine at the exclusive places as those who do at Colborne Lane and audiophilia seems to frequent some posh places that I haven't made it out to. I'm glad my rants come to some kind of an effect
wink.gif
I'm in love with Sophie Milman so I'm pretty into jazz I think. Just wanted to find a place to crash after a long work day to be honest. The cover doesn't scare me so much as I didn't know what crowd it attracted. I'll definitely try it out on Monday and see.

No problem, and yes your "rants" are indeed helpful. Please let us know how Reservoir Lounge is when you go. At least there's no cover on Mondays.

Histrion

Reaction score
I've had luck with Mercatto, I guess. I went for lunch at the Bay St. location the other day and my gnocchi with rabbit stew was okay and the turnout was quick. I also had the privilege of enjoying water with it.
smile.gif

Crush Wine Bar is also pretty good, though nothing special. The Drake also has some good stuff. For steak, I was content with what I had at Morton's, but even more content that I didn't have to pay the bill.

The Avenue at the Four Seasons seems to have good food, too. I go to the bar regularly (decent scotch selection), and the menu looks quite tantalizing.

I'm not much of an expert on Toronto, though. I'm just there a couple of days a month...

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
No problem, and yes your "rants" are indeed helpful. Please let us know how Reservoir Lounge is when you go. At least there's no cover on Mondays.

I'd say there were less than 12 patrons in the place when I left and most are regulars for the singer & band (lots of hugs and what's your new year's resolution). No cover doesn't mean they don't come around with a tip jar though. She did a rendition of Fine and Mellow but Billie Holiday she is not. I swear the band was drinking or it could be very dark cranberry juice with bubbles in it. Service was nice - the girl came by every 15-20 mins (about 2 songs) to ask me for a drink. Nice place to catch music. I didn't get any food but it look liked the usual fare.

On the weekend I finally went to the Three Brewers. It's almost criminal because I work in the area. I was surprised they had so many scotches/martinis for a beer place. The beer tastes alright - different taste from the regular stuff since it's not pastuerized. My mate said his ale tasted "young". Food was so-so, just Europeanized chain stuff (lots of sausages, cheese, etc.). Bartender girl loves striking up a conversation but frequently forgets about stuff and disappears mid-sentence.

Also went to Dynasty up at Yorkville for dim sum. I scoffed at the fact that we needed reservations on Saturday morning but that place was packed after 12pm. Maybe I'm spoiled with other places but the dim sum variety is looking less and less exotic there. For the price we paid, the washroom needs a serious renovation.

Originally Posted by Histrion
The Avenue at the Four Seasons seems to have good food, too. I go to the bar regularly (decent scotch selection), and the menu looks quite tantalizing.

I'm not much of an expert on Toronto, though. I'm just there a couple of days a month...

If you like hotel bars and you're in that area, you should try the Rooftop one at the Hyatt. It has a nice view north & south of the city. There's also a very windy patio that opens in the summer.

Whereabouts are you from?

Histrion

Reaction score
If you like hotel bars and you're in that area, you should try the Rooftop one at the Hyatt. It has a nice view north & south of the city. There's also a very windy patio that opens in the summer.

Whereabouts are you from?

I live in Ottawa now. I usually stay in Yorkville. As a matter of fact, the Hyatt is right across the street from my regular hotel. I'm not *that* big a fan of hotel bars, it's more of a commodity thing. If you know good places in Yorkville, I would appreciate. I have been to One and Hemingway's before, both were alright (though very different).

ersatzmoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
I live in Ottawa now. I usually stay in Yorkville. As a matter of fact, the Hyatt is right across the street from my regular hotel. I'm not *that* big a fan of hotel bars, it's more of a commodity thing. If you know good places in Yorkville, I would appreciate. I have been to One and Hemingway's before, both were alright (though very different).

Why not walk over to the Manulife and hit Panorama?

sjg22

Reaction score

Sophie is a friend of my girlfriend, so I know her a little bit. Really cool girl, totally unpretentious.

Ate at Jamie Kennedy at the Gardiner last week; had the fish sandwich and it was great for $10. My girlfriend had the vegetable plate and it was actually good as well (or as good as a cooked vege plate gets). With the fries as an appetizer, a really cheap lunch in a very pleasant environment (although they've changed it around since the last time I've been and the space isn't as big or as nice...).

Felt like a burger and so I hit Wayne Gretzky's after the Raps vs. Spurs game on Sunday night. The burger was generally tasty, but the bun smelled exactly like cigarettes. Upon closer inspection, they burn "99" on the bun and that was the culprit. Peeled off the burned bits and it was fine. Nonetheless, a bit off-putting. The lounge off the bar was empty save for myself and my buddy, so we essentially got a private dining room with comfortable chairs, so that's worth checking out.

Got sucked into going to North 44 on New Year's Eve. It was my first visit and I was expecting the worst with the prix fixe New Year's menu, but it was actually a well-done meal. I'm expecting a regular night would be even better, so I'd give it a solid thumbs up. Word of advice though: I couldn't quite recall how far a walk it was from Eglington subway station and so I took a cab from there. Turned out to be a good call as it would have been quite the hike in cold weather with a girlfriend in boots that aren't great for long walks. So, my advice is drive or take a cab.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ersatzmoe
Why not walk over to the Manulife and hit Panorama?

Thanks for the recommendation!

I don't know Toronto well and my numerous outings at The Avenue's bar are due to the fact that I only have to take an elevator to get back to my room. I will check out Panorama sometimes though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads