• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

heisenberg

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to reiterate a previous statement - goddamn you guys for turning me on to Paul Smith, and better shoes in general.

From last year, I took my everyday shoes from:

shoes002.jpg

(in before "LOL Ecco", "LOL square toe", and "LOL no shoe trees")

to this:
shoes004.jpg

(DBs in Taupe, Paul Smith York, and AE Park Aves).

Definitely better, but I've got some gaps. Biggest one now is a pair of black boots - thinking some sort of a chukka to keep things versatile, but still doing research. Would like to keep it at $150 or less - I copped the PS for like $225 at a retail shop sometime last year and that took a lot of deliberation. Any quick suggestions on seeing my current style?

After that, it's finding something in a leather with a similar look to my Eccos, except somewhat less ******. That'll happen later, though.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
I'm gonna have to reiterate a previous statement - goddamn you guys for turning me on to Paul Smith, and better shoes in general. From last year, I took my everyday shoes from:
shoes002.jpg
(in before "LOL Ecco", "LOL square toe", and "LOL no shoe trees") to this:
shoes004.jpg
(DBs in Taupe, Paul Smith York, and AE Park Aves). Definitely better, but I've got some gaps. Biggest one now is a pair of black boots - thinking some sort of a chukka to keep things versatile, but still doing research. Would like to keep it at $150 or less - I copped the PS for like $225 at a retail shop sometime last year and that took a lot of deliberation. Any quick suggestions on seeing my current style? After that, it's finding something in a leather with a similar look to my Eccos, except somewhat less ******. That'll happen later, though.

Now that sales are on, you may be able to find a pair of PS Ricards for $300ish, and they're great boots (considering getting a pair of blacks to balance out my browns) or Corsos which are a wingtip boot

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Asked this in the should I cop or not thread but no response.

Barker Black Suede Desert Boot for $219.

med.jpg

I really want the Alden unlined chukka but they're expensive, same with PS Miller Brogue. I'm also interested in Grenson Cooper. Only item on my queue now is Red Wing Beckman 9012.

I'm not into boots and prefer sneakers but want suggestions.

toade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Elios

It's definitely not a waxed suede, or any suede for that matter.

Barney's has had most F+B (definitely this model) on sale for a while now. Last I checked thay were 40% off, not sure if they went higher

Pretty sure they are not Elios, but #745. As for them being a waxed suede, just going off what gimmeshoes.com says, but I've never seen them in person.

I was just at the Barney's CO-OP in South Coast Plaza, CA, a couple days ago and they were definitely not on sale (I asked the sales guy). What Barney's did you find them 40% off? I may have to stop by Beverly Hills Barney's and see if they have any on sale.

toade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
How do the #745 F&Bs fit? Gimmeshoes says size down 1 full size, like Butteros. Anybody confirm this?

I usually wear a 10, and got a 9 based on gimmershoes recommendation. Unfortuantely a 9 was way too small. For me it was more about the width then the length. Today I was able to try on some 745s at the Barney Outlet, and they were a 9.5 and fit pretty well. Snug, but a good fit. I do have a wide foot though. I'd say if you have a wide fit, a half size down would be best.

JonB27

Reaction score
I was at the Bev Hills Barneys and they weren't on sale...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
Asked this in the should I cop or not thread but no response.

Barker Black Suede Desert Boot for $219.

med.jpg

I really want the Alden unlined chukka but they're expensive, same with PS Miller Brogue. I'm also interested in Grenson Cooper. Only item on my queue now is Red Wing Beckman 9012.

I'm not into boots and prefer sneakers but want suggestions.

I'd be all over those Barker Blacks for $219.
Define "expensive" for the Millers. Shop around for a while and it shouldn't be difficult to find a pair under $300.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by toade
I usually wear a 10, and got a 9 based on gimmershoes recommendation. Unfortuantely a 9 was way too small. For me it was more about the width then the length. Today I was able to try on some 745s at the Barney Outlet, and they were a 9.5 and fit pretty well. Snug, but a good fit. I do have a wide foot though. I'd say if you have a wide fit, a half size down would be best.

Were they the smooth leather or the nubuck-looking version? If they were the smooth leather, which Barney's outlet? Sounds like I need a 9.5

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
BB's look like some rockport type steez, take a pass unless you want to look like shonuff strolling through bloomingdales lookin at 'gamos in the shoe department.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I'd be all over those Barker Blacks for $219.
Define "expensive" for the Millers. Shop around for a while and it shouldn't be difficult to find a pair under $300.

best i've seen was about $330. PSUK had the best price at 144 GBP but not the color I wanted. My limit is around $200+ unfortunately for me I'm a US 12 and from what I've seen its hard to find deals in that size.

rotflmao.gif
@ jet.

Veggie

Reaction score
600_600_1711_4.jpg

I've been looking around and around $200 the Loak Shilton were the best ones I could find for boots that would go well with stacked jeans. Anybody have any recommendations?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely better, but I've got some gaps. Biggest one now is a pair of black boots - thinking some sort of a chukka to keep things versatile, but still doing research. Would like to keep it at $150 or less - I copped the PS for like $225 at a retail shop sometime last year and that took a lot of deliberation. Any quick suggestions on seeing my current style? .
just upthread I posted Grenson black chukkas I just bought for $90 (+ $30 for shipping) from England, on ebay. now, they are seconds, so we'll see what/if defects exists, but the same seller has ton of grenson seconds and gets good feedbac

Racove

Reaction score
Re: Loake Shilton.

Looks pretty great. I know some MC folks think Loake is cheap but usually compared to much fancier English brands. Value seems good. Dressier version of the LL bean Katahdin (standard, not the uglier 'waterproof'). Probably similar quality (?) but you are deciding between dressy version of a rugged boot maker vs. rugged version of a dressy boot maker.

I wonder which is better for snow? Neither look perfect, but both probably OK for city living. Seriously, I'm considering both, so advice on dainite vs. Katahdin-sole would be appreciated. Slight dressiness is an advantage for me right now, but practicality trumps all.

Looks pretty great. I know some MC folks think Loake is cheap but usually compared to much fancier English brands. Value seems good. Dressier version of the LL bean Katahdin (standard, not the uglier 'waterproof'). Probably similar quality (?) but you are deciding between dressy version of a rugged boot maker vs. rugged version of a dressy boot maker.

I wonder which is better for snow? Neither look perfect, but both probably OK for city living. Seriously, I'm considering both, so advice on dainite vs. Katahdin-sole would be appreciated. Slight dressiness is an advantage for me right now, but practicality trumps all.

Racove

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to reiterate a previous statement - goddamn you guys for turning me on to Paul Smith, and better shoes in general. From last year, I took my everyday shoes from:
shoes002.jpg
(in before "LOL Ecco", "LOL square toe", and "LOL no shoe trees") to this:
shoes004.jpg
(DBs in Taupe, Paul Smith York, and AE Park Aves). Definitely better, but I've got some gaps. Biggest one now is a pair of black boots - thinking some sort of a chukka to keep things versatile, but still doing research. Would like to keep it at $150 or less - I copped the PS for like $225 at a retail shop sometime last year and that took a lot of deliberation. Any quick suggestions on seeing my current style? After that, it's finding something in a leather with a similar look to my Eccos, except somewhat less ******. That'll happen later, though.

If you only have a 3 shoe rotation, you've pretty much done a perfect job. Bravo. I think you need a burgundy/oxblood shoe next and you'll be amazed that its the most versatile color. Red Wing Gentleman Traveler is the perennial choice. Papashoe.com has been offering the best prices, but it almost seems like their inventory is drying up. Search around for a 15% off coupon. Maybe they are upsetting the manufactures with lower prices. Alden has the only shoes I can recall that looks iike your Eccos, but they are probably much more than you want to pay. I"m sure other options are out there.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove

Alden has the only shoes I can recall that looks iike your Eccos, but they are probably much more than you want to pay. I"m sure other options are out there.

Allen Edmonds has a few options for plain toe bluchers like these

Leeds (leather soul)

and a few others with rubber souls

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads