• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Calden

Reaction score
I'm attending my friends wedding in few weeks and needed a pair of shoes. I purchased a pair of Tricker's blucher / derby shoes from Yoox, but I am starting to have second thoughts. I understand that bluchers are generally less formal; but since I work in a creative field and own no other dress shoes, I would like to buy one pair of quality black shoes I can wear with suits, but also wear for more casual occasions.

Do the shoes in the attached picture fit the bill, or does anyone have any other reccomendations I could purchase on the internet? I also just noticed the Yoox site says 1.6" heel height, that sounds huge! Is that normal for a double leather soled shoe? Or are these going to feel like platforms?

trickersderby.jpg

Thanks for any help and advice!

EricM1229

Reaction score
Can anyone assist with where to possibly go to get belt buckles in silver refinished or dipped?
Ones that are chipped or discolored, etc?
I'm right outside Philadelphia in the suburbs but have never gotten an answer. I tried my jeweler to see if he could redip, but wasn't successful.

Would appreciate any ideas or help!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Calden
I'm attending my friends wedding in few weeks and needed a pair of shoes. I purchased a pair of Tricker's blucher / derby shoes from Yoox, but I am starting to have second thoughts. I understand that bluchers are generally less formal; but since I work in a creative field and own no other dress shoes, I would like to buy one pair of quality black shoes I can wear with suits, but also wear for more casual occasions.

Do the shoes in the attached picture fit the bill, or does anyone have any other reccomendations I could purchase on the internet? I also just noticed the Yoox site says 1.6" heel height, that sounds huge! Is that normal for a double leather soled shoe? Or are these going to feel like platforms?

trickersderby.jpg

Thanks for any help and advice!

Those look nice, but the heel might be too big.

404Jeff

Reaction score
Yes, a quick question...

I am looking at some Alden Monk Straps in Cordovan

As for color, Black is more versatile, but cordovan color really shows off the quality of the shoe..

Any advantage to going with cordovan leather is I choose black, or go with calfskin and save $150 or so..

404Jeff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Now, a question of my own. Do you think these shoes are worth the price and are they good enough to be the general dark brown shoe to wear with everything type? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT Thanks!
I have these myself, bought them in Frankfurt because I needed something for one evening - they are ok, very styleized (sp?) with a limited shelf life and kinda hard to wear with an everyday kind of office look- but I liked em enough to buy them- paid over $200 for mine..but agree with other posters, they are kind of cheap shoes,,

brianoh

Reaction score
Hi. Lurker here, about to drop 1k over ebay, internationally, so I'm seeking advice.. Looking to purchase: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT I asked the seller a question, asking the specifications, measurements, etc., just now. Looking at it, do you think it would be warm enough for the blistering cold of NYC? Thoughts on the overcoat? I'm 5'10, 145, so I'm assuming it would fit (I'm a 36R). Also, looking to purchase this Zenga suit from the same seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/TESSUTO-ZEGNA-Su...item4a9b44928c From what I understand, it should be canvased (not sure whether it will be fully or half). What are your thoughts? The seller is very reputable in on ebay.de. Also, I live in NYC and was thinking about perhaps just going up to Woodberry Commons to buy a suit/overcoat this weekend. Will I be able to find deals as good as these up there?

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianoh
Hi. Lurker here, about to drop 1k over ebay, internationally, so I'm seeking advice..

Looking to purchase:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I asked the seller a question, asking the specifications, measurements, etc., just now. Looking at it, do you think it would be warm enough for the blistering cold of NYC? Thoughts on the overcoat?

I'm 5'10, 145, so I'm assuming it would fit (I'm a 36R).

Also, looking to purchase this Zenga suit from the same seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TESSUTO-ZEGNA-Su...item4a9b44928c

From what I understand, it should be canvased (not sure whether it will be fully or half).

What are your thoughts?

The seller is very reputable in on ebay.de.

Also, I live in NYC and was thinking about perhaps just going up to Woodberry Commons to buy a suit/overcoat this weekend. Will I be able to find deals as good as these up there?

This is just me, but I would hold off on those ebay purchases.

You live in NYC. So between C21, Daffy's, and your previously mentioned proximity to Woodbury you can find some really good deals on very common items (such as a dark overcoat and a gray suit). Personally I don't think those prices are great (with patience you can do better on the B&S Forum).

For that kind of money on ebay you will want to make sure that whatever you're going to buy is guaranteed to fit. So unless he provides detailed measurements, and you are very confident in how those measurements apply to you, that could be a big source of risk.

Personally, I tend to use ebay only when I find an exact match of something I've seen in person know will work on me.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 404Jeff
Yes, a quick question...

I am looking at some Alden Monk Straps in Cordovan

As for color, Black is more versatile, but cordovan color really shows off the quality of the shoe..

Any advantage to going with cordovan leather is I choose black, or go with calfskin and save $150 or so..

Cordovan is unique because it can get very shiny. In black, it means that it can look like patent leather.

I was thinking the same thing as you but decided against it after reading about it on SF.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Looking for anyone with experience with www.mytailor.com,

Why does it ask whether you want a slim fit, regular fit, or loose fit even when you specify the measurements off of your best-fitting shirt? Isn't the point of entering the measurements this way to get a shirt to match these measurements exactly?

Because some prospective customers have no idea what's their "best-fitting" shirt but just take any random one.

404Jeff

Reaction score
Wetnose

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean you decided against the cordovan color or cordovan leather altogether?

Thanks!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Looking for anyone with experience with www.mytailor.com,

Why does it ask whether you want a slim fit, regular fit, or loose fit even when you specify the measurements off of your best-fitting shirt? Isn't the point of entering the measurements this way to get a shirt to match these measurements exactly?

Because MyTailor asks for a set of measurements that can be interpreted in a number of ways, and they want to gauge how to taper the shirt accordingly. Also, the style you choose will affect how much leeway/give that they add to the measurements. Some customers want a looser-fitting shirt; others want a tighter fit. Finally, the system is set up as sort of a failsafe against customer ineptitude. If someone enters really thin/tight measurements and opts for a loose taper, for instance, the contradiction will stand out and get the tailor's attention, causing him to call you to verify things.

brooklyn

Reaction score
I went to my local Marshalls and found a wool overcoat made my cristian seyban. I tried to find some information on the company but only found the following information on another website:

CRISTIAN SEYBAN _This line has coats and jackets with a classic style.
The collection is completely Made in Italy with the most refined italian fabrics like Colombo, Loropiana and Piacenza, from the wool to the cachemire.
This collection is made by one of the leading factories in men's clothing and has great prices combined with the highest quality of the garments.

does anyone have any additional information on the company and their products?

Reaction score
Could anyone give me an indication of my size in C&J Handgrade shoes - 337 last
27cm long feet (10.8 inch)
10cm wide. (4 inch)

I'm actually heading to the city tomorrow to try on some Loakes but if possible I'd rather not guess the downsizing from US sizes if I do not have to.

Cheers.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brooklyn
I went to my local Marshalls and found a wool overcoat made my cristian seyban. I tried to find some information on the company but only found the following information on another website:

CRISTIAN SEYBAN _This line has coats and jackets with a classic style.
The collection is completely Made in Italy with the most refined italian fabrics like Colombo, Loropiana and Piacenza, from the wool to the cachemire.
This collection is made by one of the leading factories in men's clothing and has great prices combined with the highest quality of the garments.

does anyone have any additional information on the company and their products?

I think I saw this brand on yoox.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads