• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Yogurt

Reaction score
Hi, I have just recently signed up for SF but I've been reading up for the past 2 months or so and now I am thinking about buying a new pair of dark, fitted jeans (preferably with a taper) that will develop "nice fadez".

I do not earn a steady income so the denim would preferably be around $150 dollars.

My measurements are;

Waist: 30"(measured 2" beneath navel).
Thigh: 20.5"
Knee: 15"

These measurements were taken while I wasn't wearing jeans and I was thinking if anybody with a similar build to mine could recommend me a good pair of jeans. Personally I was leaning towards size 29 Deep Indigo WeirdGuys from Naked&Famous, but after reading the N&F thread thoroughly I have my doubts.

Thanks,
Tom.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yogurt
Hi, I have just recently signed up for SF but I've been reading up for the past 2 months or so and now I am thinking about buying a new pair of dark, fitted jeans (preferably with a taper) that will develop "nice fadez". I do not earn a steady income so the denim would preferably be around $150 dollars. My measurements are; Waist: 30"(measured 2" beneath navel). Thigh: 20.5" Knee: 15" These measurements were taken while I wasn't wearing jeans and I was thinking if anybody with a similar build to mine could recommend me a good pair of jeans. Personally I was leaning towards size 29 Deep Indigo WeirdGuys from Naked&Famous, but after reading the N&F thread thoroughly I have my doubts. Thanks, Tom.
Dark jeans /= raw jeans. Dark washes won't fade (well, they may fade but barely if at all). Don't measure '2" beneath navel' unless that's where you wear your jeans. Measure where you want them to be (ie if you wear your jeans at the hips a measurement of your waist would be completely useless) Also, for those looking into getting into the raw game, might I suggest Left Field? I don't have any experience with the company but I think mlyngard might. Tons of details neatly rolled up into a $99 package.

Yogurt

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion KitAkira, I don't think I'm looking for a very slubby jean, as the last pair I bought with "high slubbiness" honestly looked horrible on me. And not to sound picky; but perhaps something with a lower rise?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yogurt
Thanks for the suggestion KitAkira, I don't think I'm looking for a very slubby jean, as the last pair I bought with "high slubbiness" honestly looked horrible on me. And not to sound picky; but perhaps something with a lower rise?
Browse through the latest 'sub-200 raw selvage jeans' thread. There's tons of options. Those Tellason jeans might be perfect at $195.00. or the new EP jeans. Most sanforized raw jeans will have pretty smooth dark denim.

Jay687

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Fiest, don't go by tagged waist size. Also, I wouldn't really go by your actual hip measurement, since jeans will ride all over the place, fit is determined a lot by top block snugness and rise, and your real fitted (measured) size of jeans may be smaller than the waist dimension you took. I also measure ~33, and I wear actual 30 and 31w.

Measure a snug but well-fitting pair of pants for a more accurate dimension.

Since your worn jeans are a 32 waist, I'd say consider a 30 or 31 in most jeans. I don't know Nudie sizing, but make sure to account for stretch on any jeans (i.e. - downsize).

Thanks for the response.

I'm thinking to go for 30x30, if they stretch at all. Since I was looking at a measurement chart and seems Nudie's are 1" more measured than tagged. So, 30 would be 31... if they stretch up to 1", then they'd stretch to 32" which is the same size as my Levi 514s.

Additionally, I have gained a bit of weight. I'm normally about 30" in my real waist (when I breath out and tense, to get a nice consistent measurement) and right now probably 32". I don't think the weight gain changes my hip measurement THAT much though, but perhaps slightly, somewhere within an inch. This also means that once I get back to working out soon, I'll probably have hoped for the smaller jeans.

You guys think going with 30x30 is the way to go?

I'm also hoping that the 30 length never really shrinks. I should definitely get the length I'm okay with, right? Since 32 would be way too long... I just don't want them shrinking down to 28" or even 29" after the first wash or soak.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking to go for 30x30, if they stretch at all. Since I was looking at a measurement chart and seems Nudie's are 1" more measured than tagged. So, 30 would be 31... if they stretch up to 1", then they'd stretch to 32" which is the same size as my Levi 514s. You guys think going with 30x30 is the way to go? I'm also hoping that the 30 length never really shrinks. I should definitely get the length I'm okay with, right? Since 32 would be way too long... I just don't want them shrinking down to 28" or even 29" after the first wash or soak.
30 waist sounds ideal. Your line of reasoning is correct. Get 32 inseam and develop a taste for stacking or cuffing for a bit. If 29 is too short, 30 will be. They will shrink some with washing. With 32s, you can always hem. If 30 ends up being too short, you're fucked, right? Wear 32s for a while and break the jeans in before you make a decision. I ruined a few pair of expensive jeans by hemming before wash and before I broke them in. Major regret. As for weight gain/loss, you may see a noticable change in waist. so invest carefully now...

Reaction score
Has anyone bought from Rakuten recently?
if you guys notice the site is now in english based
Does anyone know if all of the denim brands on the site now ship internationally?
Currently looking at these flat heads from FRISBEE and 2nd but im not sure if they ship internationally now that the site is english

Jay687

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
30 waist sounds ideal. Your line of reasoning is correct.

Get 32 inseam and develop a taste for stacking or cuffing for a bit. If 29 is too short, 30 will be. They will shrink some with washing.

With 32s, you can always hem. If 30 ends up being too short, you're fucked, right? Wear 32s for a while and break the jeans in before you make a decision. I ruined a few pair of expensive jeans by hemming before wash and before I broke them in. Major regret.

As for weight gain/loss, you may see a noticable change in waist. so invest carefully now...

Okay thanks.

Last question, this one about APC New Standards...

What size would I get these in? I ask because it seems Slim Jims are nearly guaranteed to rip at the crotch. They do get nicer fades/wear than APC NS from what I have seen... but want my jeans to last and don't want to deal with needing to repair them. Additionally, I like the simple style as well. I'm hoping that they truly are a bit more durable... anyone know?

They stretch a great deal though? And they seem to be similar in measurement to the Levi's (30 = 32). So, perhaps getting 29 in those? Since the 30's would hopefully fit similar to the Levi 514s to start but I should allow for some stretching, right?

That would be like 4 sizes down though... is that too much?

Then again, why are my Levi 514s at 32" on my 33" waist but don't feel too tight? I dunno. Weird.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Okay thanks. Last question, this one about APC New Standards... What size would I get these in? I ask because it seems Slim Jims are nearly guaranteed to rip at the crotch. They do get nicer fades/wear than APC NS from what I have seen... but want my jeans to last and don't want to deal with needing to repair them. Additionally, I like the simple style as well. I'm hoping that they truly are a bit more durable... anyone know? They stretch a great deal though? And they seem to be similar in measurement to the Levi's (30 = 32). So, perhaps getting 29 in those? Since the 30's would hopefully fit similar to the Levi 514s to start but I should allow for some stretching, right? That would be like 4 sizes down though... is that too much? Then again, why are my Levi 514s at 32" on my 33" waist but don't feel too tight? I dunno. Weird.
APC sizing (as per general consensus): Down 2 on tag = real size (tagged 29 = 31" actual) Down 1 more: accounts for most stretch Down 1 more: super snug fit when broken in, accounts for last of stretch. Painful. So if you're around a natural 32 waist where you wear your jeans, go -2 for a looser fit and -3 down for a slimmer, comfy fit. SOAK THESE too.

Jay687

Reaction score
Seems like 29" is the way to go then. Thanks for the reply.

I just finally found my soft tape measure... I'm actually 32", I guess using a belt then normal tape measure was inaccurate, lol.

I am 31" above hips, 32" where I generally where my jeans.

So, I'm definitely thinking 30" in SJ and 29" in APC NS.

Not sure which to go for yet. I like the price and simplicity of APC... they seem to fit similarly too (though wish lower rise, but .5" probably isn't much). Plus, I haven't heard of the crotch ripping on them like the Slim Jims...

Are APC actually more durable then?

emeterioy

Reaction score
hey guys I dont know if this is the right thread for my question. Im trying to find my waist size for jeans, when I measure the part where my jeans sit it measures at 36 inches. im 5'10 165lbs. I can fit into sz33 levis 514 and it would be a liitle loose but can still be worn without a belt and a size 32 levis would fit alittle tight. any help?

nooblet333

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emeterioy
hey guys I dont know if this is the right thread for my question. Im trying to find my waist size for jeans, when I measure the part where my jeans sit it measures at 36 inches. im 5'10 165lbs. I can fit into sz33 levis 514 and it would be a liitle loose but can still be worn without a belt and a size 32 levis would fit alittle tight. any help?

LOL... So your a 32.5??

c00kz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nooblet333
LOL... So your a 32.5??

No, if you're a 36" waist you're a 36" waist. There's no practical correlation between measured size and tagged size. Although prior to measuring your waist you may have consistently bought jeans in the same tagged size, this doesn't mean there's any correlation if all your jeans fit ever so slightly different, which I'm almost positive they do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads