• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "One Sock": can a person own socks in just one color?

viator

Reaction score
So one of my pet peeves is sorting and balling up socks when they come out of the dryer. I try to avoid this by owning socks in grey (all the same brand/style) and brown (all the same brand/style). I'm wondering if I can get away with purchasing a whole bunch of these socks, and then just keeping a pair or two in black around for formal business occasions when I want to wear a dark suit with black shoes.

What do you think?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have 12 pair of identical winter socks, charcoal gray with red toes and heels, 12 pair of charcoal summer socks, and then about 20 pair of gym socks (all used to be black but are fading a little) life is too short to spend it trying to find matching socks.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I only own navy and dark brown socks and could probably just wear navy all the time.

Same, except some are argyle.

Though I feel very self-conscious wearing dark socks with light colored trousers.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of my socks are solid navy. I greatly prefer the simplicity, and they basically go with everything. Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem. I've got about three or four brands, and they are all very similar. It takes me extra time to sort through each to determine what matches with what. It's very annoying, and I haven't found a system to simplify anything. I need to just stick to one brand.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall iammatt espousing an exclusively navy sock wardrobe.

DandySF

Reaction score
For tropical and resort settings I prefer light colored socks. While at home I generally choose dark colors. I can't imagine one color could work in all seasons and settings.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are days where I will wear a different sock on each foot simply because I don't feel like hunting.

Occasionally, this leads to some spectacular clown-ish sprezz.

But I can imagine that if you decided to toss all socks and restart, that this would be feasible. You'd just have cycles of purging and binging as socks wore out and needed to be replaced.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
I got hooked on these guys - so I have a lot of black in my drawer, but the quality is very good!

http://blacksocks.com/

Their socks, other than the knee length, all appear rather short in their models. Do you ever have an issue with slippage or exposed ankle/calf?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White tube socks. Look good with everything. Can double as a pocket square.

viator

Reaction score
Guys, I am loving your enthusiasm for this strategy. It seems it is feasible and indeed, preferable. Now the only question remains is whether the color for these socks should be gray or navy.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I would note, though: you really need at least two socks, unless you only have one foot.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
White tube socks. Look good with everything. Taking a page from Moo's Book o' Style Tips, it can double as a pocket square.

teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads