• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nexus One

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
$200 would be my limit, regardless of plan affiliation

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TS:

Sure, makes sense in your situation. But honestly, how often does that happen?

Most people will/can just keep their old phone for a couple of months until they switch.

Take my situation. My contract was up in August. I had a Samsung A717 which I was hanging on to until the TP 2 came out. Then I saw the rumblings of the HD 2 and decided to hold out for it. I was going to keep it until then. Mom's phone bummed out. Long story short, I'm using my sister's iPhone 2G and Mom got my phone (she doesn't use her phone often as "it's for emergencies").

Unlocked handsets, IMO, don't make a ton of sense in the US given the different frequencies/technology of the carriers; particularly in the case of smartphones with data (as most dumbphones will work for voice/texting between carriers - at least for the GSM ones as I don't know about Sprint or Verizon).

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
$200 would be my limit, regardless of plan affiliation

What if Pio pays for your phone?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
@TS: Sure, makes sense in your situation. But honestly, how often does that happen?
I don't really care about any of you. I am only concerned with my own affairs.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Die!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
^ Die!

Someday. When I run out of cigarettes to smoke.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
It would have to be Nexus Two. I've already told you that the 3G chip in the Nexus One cannot receive AT+T's 3G signal. It is physically not capable of transmitting in the necessary frequency . It would have to run a different 3G chip. Everyone already knows exactly what the phone is capable of doing, and what hardware is in it thanks to the FCC... you should pay attention.
smile.gif

I don't get paid to pay attention to this hoopla.
smile.gif

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I don't get in this thread: when HTC phones like the TP2 are retailing around 500-600 EUR (price in Germany), how should the Nexus One made by HTC with the same/better specs be 1/3 of that price?
eh.gif

The only possibility would be if Google subsidizes the device to get market penetration.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
The only possibility would be if Google subsidizes the device to get market penetration.

And you have a problem with that because...

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
And you have a problem with that because...
Not at all. But seeing all the buzz they've created I'm not sure they have to. People are ravaging to buy the iPhone even it runs around 700-900 EUR unlocked, if they can emulate this kind of group think the device would sell for a regular price without problems. I mean, would be nice if they shell out the bucks for us and we can pick up the phone for cheap. I'd guess I'd get one too then as I spend 50% of my time in Germany and the other half in Switzerland with the result of stupid roaming costs so I wouldn't mind to pick up another phone with a Swiss sim card (for us Europeans it really is provider independent). I have the Touch Pro 2 (only moderately pleased) and I'd be curious how the Nexus One will perform.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Every one is making a big deal about the price of the phone. I'm currently on TMobile, so I could do the 2-year contract extension without a problem and get it for $180. No big deal.

What really has me disappointed in TMobile is the price per month. The way I understood it the plan is $40 (for talk time) + about $10 (for some sort of texting plan) + $80 (for unlimited web/data). Wait... $80 f'n dollars a month just for data!!!! My current unlimited data plan with my G1 is $25.
What about this phone would have me use 3+ times the amount of data I'm using now? Maybe I'm spoiled, but I'm not ready for $130+ per month for a cell phone plan.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im quite satisfied with sprint's unlimited data, txt, mobile to mobile calling plan and the webos phone which is actually quite a "smart" os.

only downside is their being on antiquated cdma network means no international access ..quite lame

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Android looks great. I just signed a contract w/ Verizon so I'm with the LG enV Touch for 2 years...but it has no smartphone plan requirement since it's technically not a smartphone. Over the life of the two year contract at 45 dollars for a smartphone plan....that's over 1k a year to use a Droid. No thanks. I'll stick with unlimited text and data.

Hopefully by the time my contract expires the smarthphone plans will come down to Earth and I can get a phone w/ Android!

So yeah, the phone looks great, I hope Google succeeds beyond it's wildest dreams with it, so in 2 years I'll have a lot of hardware choices.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Android looks great. I just signed a contract w/ Verizon so I'm with the LG enV Touch for 2 years...but it has no smartphone plan requirement since it's technically not a smartphone. Over the life of the two year contract at 45 dollars for a smartphone plan....that's over 1k a year to use a Droid. No thanks. I'll stick with unlimited text and data.

Hopefully by the time my contract expires the smarthphone plans will come down to Earth and I can get a phone w/ Android!

So yeah, the phone looks great, I hope Google succeeds beyond it's wildest dreams with it, so in 2 years I'll have a lot of hardware choices.

Damn, even the iPhone only costs $360 more a year for the data plan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads