• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nexus One

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Well, it won't work on Verizon, and it won't work fully on AT+T. So... in the U.S. that limits the choice a bit.

Well...I did include that in my disclaimer.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Well...I did include that in my disclaimer.
smile.gif

Thats sort of like saying, Yes, its $199 unlocked, with a $330 handling fee.
smile.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

1. Not an iPhone

I don't much care for Apple and their policies but other than the non-user-replaceable battery, the iPhone is actually quite a good device IMO. I admit, however, that this is 90% due to the applications available rather than anything specific to the device. It's actually subpar as a phone and there's nothing particularly special about it.

2. Not carrier dependent (to a limited extent)
It's GSM which means T-Mo or AT&T (in the US anyway). It doesn't support AT&T 3G.

I really don't view that as carrier independent. Well unless you live in an area that doesn't have 3G; in which case it doesn't matter.

3. Not contract dependent
I'm with AT&T right now. If the 3G situation were reversed and this thing supported their frequencies, there's no way I'd switch to T-Mobile and be stuck with Edge.

4. You get a phone [supposedly] designed the way Google intended for Android to operate
This is perhaps the biggest plus. Android's multiple versions and various incompatibilities across versions is major suck.

5. Latter hardware than the Droid
Sure, but in the end it just ends up being just another Android device and not really worthy of all the hoopla and buzz generated about Google "entering the game".

That said, it won't have a keyboard, which is a major disappointment for me (try to text/email on a touchscreen while on a bumpy bus/train ride!).
I was always a big proponent of the hard keyboard. Not that long ago I declared that my next phone absolutely must have one. I have very large hands (I'm 6'2" and my hands are big even for my proportions) and touch screens always sucked. Been using an iPhone 2G the last couple of months (freebie loaner) and it honestly hasn't been too bad. The large screen of the HD2 would be even better and it's made me reconsider.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I don't much care for Apple and their policies but other than the non-user-replaceable battery, the iPhone is actually quite a good device IMO. I admit, however, that this is 90% due to the applications available rather than anything specific to the device. It's actually subpar as a phone and there's nothing particularly special about it.

It's GSM which means T-Mo or AT&T (in the US anyway). It doesn't support AT&T 3G.

I really don't view that as carrier independent. Well unless you live in an area that doesn't have 3G; in which case it doesn't matter.

I'm with AT&T right now. If the 3G situation were reversed and this thing supported their frequencies, there's no way I'd switch to T-Mobile and be stuck with Edge.

This is perhaps the biggest plus. Android's multiple versions and various incompatibilities across versions is major suck.

Sure, but in the end it just ends up being just another Android device and not really worthy of all the hoopla and buzz generated about Google "entering the game".

I was always a big proponent of the hard keyboard. Not that long ago I declared that my next phone absolutely must have one. I have very large hands (I'm 6'2" and my hands are big even for my proportions) and touch screens always sucked. Been using an iPhone 2G the last couple of months (freebie loaner) and it honestly hasn't been too bad. The large screen of the HD2 would be even better and it's made me reconsider.

1. Technically, it's carrier independent because you're not contractually obligated to anyone for a year or two. I think the technology is there, and AT&T will allow it to work on their network if they know [and they will] what's best for them.

2. I was with AT&T, which for some strange reason, does not provide me with a signal in the building where I work now. Now I'm with Verizon, and it's just all peachy.

3. +1

4. Whenever Google does something, at least one thing is certain: they'll try to change the game as it existed. For a technogeek like myself, that alone is worth all the hoopla.

I might give this new phone a test drive, but unless it completely blows me away, I'll probably stay with the Droid because of the keyboard [and the fact that this Moto hasn't disappointed me so far].

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. Technically, it's carrier independent because you're not contractually obligated to anyone for a year or two. I think the technology is there, and AT&T will allow it to work on their network if they know [and they will] what's best for them.
It will work with EDGE, but the phone itself does not recognize AT+T's 3G frequency. AT+T Would have to pay T-Mob money for access to their 3G spectrum, since they are not set up to utilize it.. I promise you that will never happen.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will work with EDGE, but the phone itself does not recognize AT+T's 3G frequency. AT+T Would have to pay T-Mob money for access to their 3G spectrum. I promise you that will never happen.

Well...firmware update is always an option.
wink.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It will be unlocked but my basic premise is that if it's crippled on another network/carrier why would you switch? So it's as good as locked.

With something like the iPhone I know people use them on T-Mo and Edge cause there's nothing else like the iPhone out there. But there are lots of Android phones on the market and many more slated to come out next year; including on AT&T I believe.

Snapdragon is going to be more common as well. So why buy a $500 device that's not fully functional on another network when you can buy one for half the price if you were going to switch anyway?

Unless you like going back and forth for some reason.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

You can't firmware update a frequency if it's not in the hardware.

Only way possible is if it's there and just locked off for some reason. I think Apple pulled this BS before with a router or something.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
wink.gif

Firmware updates will not unlock something that does not exist. You would have to solder in a new 3G chip that recognizes 850/1900mhz. (and you would likely completely destroy your phone attempting it)

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't firmware update a frequency if it's not in the hardware. Only way possible is if it's there and just locked off for some reason. I think Apple pulled this BS before with a router or something.
Firmware updates will not unlock something that does not exist. You would have to solder in a new 3G chip that recognizes 850/1900mhz. (and you would likely completely destroy your phone attempting it)
But what if it did exist, but couldn't work because some lawyer said it needed to wait for an okay from AT&T?
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But what if it did exist, but couldn't work because some lawyer said it needed to wait for an okay from AT&T?
smile.gif

Then it would be a fantasy world, and you could probably fly if you jumped off a tall enough building.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I'd be happy.

Not holding my breath though.

I've thought about this in the past but tonight's exchange has brought it to the forefront of my mind again - what's the benefit of an unlocked handset in the US? Well for a smartphone anyway. Something like this phone for example which is nowhere near its mobile potential without the speedier data connection. If you're just using it for calls/texting then the 3G vs Edge thing doesn't matter but since the mobile internet would be much slower on AT&T what's the point of buying a $530 device vs a $200 one and paying the $175 ETF down the line if you decide you want to leave your contract? Of course, this is before Verizon's ridiculous $350 ETF which has the FCC investigating them.

It's not like you can buy this and take it to Verizon or Sprint. The biggest plus I can see for unlocked GSM phones is for frequent international travelers who want to pop in a foreign SIM at their destination.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Then I'd be happy. Not holding my breath though. I've thought about this in the past but tonight's exchange has brought it to the forefront of my mind again - what's the benefit of an unlocked handset in the US? Well for a smartphone anyway. Something like this phone for example which is nowhere near its mobile potential without the speedier data connection. If you're just using it for calls/texting then the 3G vs Edge thing doesn't matter but since the mobile internet would be much slower on AT&T what's the point of buying a $530 device vs a $200 one and paying the $175 ETF down the line if you decide you want to leave your contract? Of course, this is before Verizon's ridiculous $350 ETF which has the FCC investigating them. It's not like you can buy this and take it to Verizon or Sprint. The biggest plus I can see for unlocked GSM phones is for frequent international travelers who want to pop in a foreign SIM at their destination.
How about for someone who's got about 3 months left on their AT+T contract, and was planning on switching carriers - but also is going to need a new phone sooner than three months from now.
smile.gif
That's my dilemma.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then it would be a fantasy world, and you could probably fly if you jumped off a tall enough building.

But Google makes it real.
inlove.gif

Anyways...I think this phone could probably work on AT&T's 3G network. If not, then probably the next generation.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But Google makes it real.
inlove.gif
Anyways...I think this phone could probably work on AT&T's 3G network. If not, then probably the next generation.

It would have to be Nexus Two. I've already told you that the 3G chip in the Nexus One cannot receive AT+T's 3G signal. It is physically not capable of transmitting in the necessary frequency . It would have to run a different 3G chip. Everyone already knows exactly what the phone is capable of doing, and what hardware is in it thanks to the FCC... you should pay attention.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads