• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nexus One

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone see this: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/29/a...stio/#comments The comments are very laffo. I am amazed by how many people are complaining about the $530 unlocked price. What the hell. A 32gb iPhone unlocked in HK (one of the few places that sell official unlocked iPhones) is about USD 800. The G1 is about USD 300 unlocked now and the G3 is about 450. 530 for one of the nicest phones out there? Expensive? Boo ******* hoo.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Anyone see this: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/29/a...stio/#comments

The comments are very laffo. I am amazed by how many people are complaining about the $530 unlocked price. What the hell. A 32gb iPhone unlocked in HK (one of the few places that sell official unlocked iPhones) is about USD 800.

They are complaining because if true, this flies in the face of everything we have heard up until this point.

A: The phone was not going to be subsidized by a carrier
B: That it would be available through Google for a competitive price to subsidized phones.

If neither one of those things is true, then my interest in this device just bottomed out. I don't doubt that it is "worth" $530 unlocked in comparison to the rest of the market - but there is no way in hell I'm spending over $500 on a phone.

It might be worth it to me in a couple months to switch to T-Mob, the equivalent rate plan to the one I'm on at AT&T is $30 less a month. Though I am happy with the coverage and service, I'm also interested in saving money if there is no appreciable downgrade in service.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
They are complaining because if true, this flies in the face of everything we have heard up until this point.

A: The phone was not going to be subsidized by a carrier
B: That it would be available through Google for a competitive price to subsidized phones.

If neither one of those things is true, then my interest in this device just bottomed out. I don't doubt that it is "worth" $530 unlocked in comparison to the rest of the market - but there is no way in hell I'm spending over $500 on a phone.

Agreed.

r...

Reaction score
^ Except GooG never confirmed any of it. So basically, people made up **** then got mad when the **** they made up didnt come true. GooG/HTC make a banging mobile and people get pissed it aint damn near free. That daint make no sense.

Talk to anyone who bought a N95 or a Sony Erickson for use in US about price.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
^ Except GooG never confirmed any of it.

We know that doesn't mean anything. They haven't confirmed THIS either. All I said was that if this latest rumor is true, I will not pay for it. I will not pay $500 for ANY phone at the moment. I don't care if it's perfect (Which to me, would mean having a keyboard).

I might have been willing to shell out $200 for a phone that I could use on a variety of networks, with Android, and all the other hardware - even though it was a touchscreen phone... But not so much if it costs more upfront than one of my paychecks.

r...

Reaction score
My post wasnt directed at your reason for not getting one at that price. 5 notes is a lot to spend on most things. I was commenting on your reasons validatings peoples ire.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We know that doesn't mean anything. They haven't confirmed THIS either. All I said was that if this latest rumor is true, I will not pay for it. I will not pay $500 for ANY phone at the moment. I don't care if it's perfect (Which to me, would mean having a keyboard).

I might have been willing to shell out $200 for a phone that I could use on a variety of networks, with Android, and all the other hardware - even though it was a touchscreen phone... But not so much if it costs more upfront than one of my paychecks.

For me, it's more of a disappointment that IF this is true it's just more of the same old same old.

I was looking forward to a phone backed by Google's might that was unlocked from carriers and their bullshit and available at a reasonable price.

The worst thing about mobile service in the US is the fact that carriers use different frequencies and even different technology (GSM vs CDMA). It makes for a very non-competitive market in that even if your phone is unlocked, it often doesn't even make sense to switch since their data services might not be compatible with your phone e.g. taking an unlocked iPhone to T-Mobile leaves you stuck with Edge as their 3G is on a different frequency.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** man, I thought the $200 figure you threw out earlier was confirmed by an insider or someone intimately connected to the industry (e.g. someone from Redmond).

I wonder what the pain threshold is for Americans? Many of the gadgets (e.g. Nook, Kindle, netbooks, Xbox, PS3) are around $250-300. Maybe this Nexus will be in that range. How about $299? Not a bargain, but no too steep either.

r...

Reaction score
Sorry to say Jumbie but with all the **** youre asking for in a smart fone, 500 sounds more than reasonable.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
**** man, I thought the $200 figure you threw out earlier was confirmed by an insider or someone intimately connected to the industry (e.g. someone from Redmond).

I'm not sure where exactly it started, but it has made official rounds throughout almost all the big tech blogs, who are more than capable these days of picking up a telephone or emailing and asking someone whether or not there is any (off the record) foundation to the rumors.

I know you can't rely on Engadget or whomever in the blog-o-sphere for info the same way you can a newspaper, but I was led to believe that the "rumored price is $199 unlocked from Google" was an unofficial official number.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say Jumbie but with all the **** youre asking for in a smart fone, 500 sounds more than reasonable.
If it were mobile i.e. I could take it from carrier to carrier, I'd more than pay it. My PDA is almost indispensable to me (plus I get subsidized by my program). However, since I'd basically be "stuck" to one carrier in any case (or have to deal with a crippled phone) I guess I'd "prefer" buying a subsidized model for less money since I'd going to end up staying with the carrier anyway. So back to my disappointment if this latest news is true - it's just more of the same old and there is nothing "game changing" about this. Google will basically just be releasing another Android device. The only good thing about it will be the 1 GHz Snapdragon processor which the Xperia X2 (also an Android device; might be the X3 I'm thinking of) will have anyway. So no big deal. What's the great benefit?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

This is not the point. It only sounds reasonable to you because of the current marketplace and the other carriers and their phones.
The exciting part about the Nexus One was that it was supposed to NOT be like that.

r...

Reaction score
They changed the name to X10. The one with 8mg camera and the Rachel UI. Man, I really wanted that phone until they let it loose in the blogshere and no one liked it. @ 800 clams, that phone goes nowhere, although they have a version with a physical keyboard in the works.
The exciting part about the Nexus One was that it was supposed to NOT be like that.
Close but not quite. The exciting thing about it is that GooG had been working on a fone for the last 3 or years and wound up just releasing the Andriod software. This hype train is older than you think. Creating a great phone to compete with the iPhone and allowing anyone to purchase it to place on any carrier is a great accomplishment. Sorry I if think GooG/HTC should be paid for the R&D that went into making this thing. People got overly excited when they started making up their own rumors about the phone for page hits.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
So no big deal. What's the great benefit?

Off the top of my head:

1. Not an iPhone
2. Not carrier dependent (to a limited extent)
3. Not contract dependent
4. You get a phone [supposedly] designed the way Google intended for Android to operate
5. Latter hardware than the Droid

That said, it won't have a keyboard, which is a major disappointment for me (try to text/email on a touchscreen while on a bumpy car/bus/train ride!).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Off the top of my head: 2. Not carrier dependent (to a limited extent)
Well, it won't work on Verizon, and it won't work fully on AT+T. So... in the U.S. that limits the choice a bit. It's already a compromised phone. The only real exciting thing was the hope for something "different"... Which of course, may not happen now. Apparently It was a grand experiment that never actually happened.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads