• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double monks cheaper than the Lowndes?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Hi there. I am in the market for some brown double monks that are cheaper than the C&J Lowndes but still very stylish and was seeking your advice. I noticed some on sale at Shipton & Heneage but they seem to be 'tan' rather than the sort of dark or medium brown that I'm going for. I found the Loake Blackfriars but the straps look too close together, do you think?
2665-1423-photo3.jpg
Other suggestions? Thanks.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
What are you looking to spend?

sub-£200. I am a student and that is pretty much two weeks' wages and no nights out for longer than that.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Other suggestions?

Thanks.

These are Canalis (ones on the left) that I got for $260 at Nordstrom last year. Regular $440. Hard to find now though:

Canali.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sub-£200. I am a student and that is pretty much two weeks' wages and no nights out for longer than that.

Have a look at the Trickers Nottingham from Pediwear.

BTW, the Blackfriars are on sale right now at Pediwear.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Have a look at the Trickers Nottingham from Pediwear.

BTW, the Blackfriars are on sale right now at Pediwear.

The Tricker's Nottingham looks like it has a square toe in the Pediwear pic... does it?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tricker's Nottingham looks like it has a square toe in the Pediwear pic... does it?

It definitely has a more rounder toe than the Lowndes. A member has a pair and posted some photos. Search for it. I am on my wife's laptop without a mouse so cant search and post link.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
It definitely has a more rounder toe than the Lowndes. A member has a pair and posted some photos. Search for it. I am on my wife's laptop without a mouse so cant search and post link.

Also they are out of my price range that I stated earlier in the thread.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also they are out of my price range that I stated earlier in the thread.

Yes, by mistake I had checked the tax free price since I am from India. Regarding the Shipton monks I had started a thread around a week back and posted some pics in it. Have alook at that

viator

Reaction score
What about the AE Mora? I got mine a few weeks ago from the Shoe Bank for $159.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get the Lowndes...you'll regret it buying another shoe. The moras are definitely no substitute.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Just get the Lowndes...you'll regret it buying another shoe. The moras are definitely no substitute.

People on this forum really don't understand that not everyone has £270 to spend on one pair of shoes when there are many other items of clothing and other costs that must be met on a very tight budget.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on this forum really don't understand that not everyone has £270 to spend on one pair of shoes when there are many other items of clothing and other costs that must be met on a very tight budget.

Doesn't sound like our problem.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If 200 is the absolute tops for you, you could

1. Wait for a Shipton sale and see if the double monks drop in price

2. Scour the ebay UK where Lowndes are offered frequently by Elite Forum, English Classic Footwear and Retail Therapy 4 All. However the Lowndes is an in demand shoe and a lot of times there are several bidders for the shoes.

3. Buy the Loake Blackfriars which is a different design than the standard cap toe double monk. I have not come across a lot of pics of the Loake so cant comment how they will look in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads