• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mark & Spencer Suits?

B|aze

Reaction score
I'm looking for a blue or grey suit.
Mark & Spencer have a sale on suits, but what is the quality like?
Is there anyone of their suits here that are worth considering?

I'm a size 50 EU, so that would probably be 40 or 42 i guess UK

Any help is apreciated
smile.gif

JTA

Reaction score
My understanding on the construction of M&S suits are fused with the exception of the Timothy Everest Autograph line which is half canvassed, please correct me if I am wrong here.
Their suits are cut conservatively and not directed toward fashion conscious market.

If you are looking for a decent quality, it may be worth a while to have a look upon Wizard of Aahs on eBay. His Marco Valentino and Baroni are good workhorse suits.
Other options are Benjamin suits or if you know your measurements MTM Thick As Thieves is receiving rave reviews here.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the very top range Marks & Spencer suits are quite well constructed, but don't appear in that sale. Generally an EU 50 would be a UK 40, I don't think most M&S suits will be particularly slim cut (unless they specifically say so). Marks have had a funny reputation in the UK, in the past they were towards the expensive end of the high street and very good quality, the quality and reputation started to dip in the 90s but the last 5 years or so they seem to have improved. I am tempted by the dinner jacket reduced from £250 to £70 with the extra online discount though: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Autog...=n%3A331373031

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000016.html

thomas mahon, savile row tailor, says that m&s suits are as well constructed as anything in that price bracket and even probably most OTR 'designer' labels.
some of their designs are frumpy but if you find a well cut one and have it altered it should look fine.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
I reckon their Italian line in suits are good value. They compare well to any other high street retailer dollar for dollar.

RJE

Reaction score
M&S is decent quality at full price. At half-price, it's great. Take an extra 30% off, and you'd be mad to not buy it. Typically, their Collezione suits were about £300, and are now £110. If that's your budget, go for it.

Inevitably, their different lines will have different fits. Suits are also sold as separates, and if you're not quick, you may not find the pants for your jacket size.

Look at their pants also - Blue Harbour corduroy (was £45 - some sizes now £17, and take 30% off that yet again), moleskin, Collezione cotton.

B|aze

Reaction score
Htank you for all you answers
smile.gif
I'll try to see if I can find something I like. Not many sizes left though in pants

Stanley the 2nd

Reaction score
The £500 m&s suit which is only available online or in their Marble Arch store is fully canvased and has about 20 hours of handwork ie handmade button holes and a working cuff. A very nice suit for the money and even nicer if you can get one half price in the sales! I did try one on but I found it arm too long which was a shame as it seemed like good value.

The sartorial range is half canvased. If you find the suit to be a good fit I would consider it good value for money.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
or if you know your measurements MTM Thick As Thieves is receiving rave reviews here.

Oh yes? Very interesting. Which style is recommended? Is their house cut a bit short?

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stanley the 2nd
The £500 m&s suit which is only available online or in their Marble Arch store is fully canvased and has about 20 hours of handwork ie handmade button holes and a working cuff. A very nice suit for the money and even nicer if you can get one half price in the sales! .

Ok that's sound nice, unfortunately they are not on sale, but I will diffently be looking out for them on sale.
Thanks for the advice

B|aze

Reaction score
Recieved the suits today. The jacket fits nice, but the pants are way to big...too much for an alteration and they are not available in a smaller size
frown.gif
So I have to return them...too bad, the quality seemed nice. And the price was unbeatable. Hope I can find some others suits somewhere at a good price

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads