• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Bedale or Beaufort

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Great, thanks. I've been looking for something like this. Does it run slim? I am 40R,should I get Medium or Large?

I'm not sure if I got the XL or the XXL, but I would say to try to make an educated guess using their sizing chart. It does run slimmer than the Beaufort and isn't lined so it can get sticky sliding it on and off.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I'm not sure if I got the XL or the XXL, but I would say to try to make an educated guess using their sizing chart. It does run slimmer than the Beaufort and isn't lined so it can get sticky sliding it on and off.

Well,size chart says that Mediums are 38-40,I am planning to wear it with a sweater so I am not sure if I should go with M or L,maybe get both and return one of them just to be on the safe side.

Biker30x

Reaction score
Beaufort. Slightly longer, allows you to wear a jacket under it without it peaking out the bottom. I've had mine for a few years now. Until it's cooler than 50 degrees, it can be uncomfortable, even unzipped those coats don't breath. With the quilted vest liner and a suitcoat or tweed jacket underneath, it's comfortable down into the mid-20s. With a thick shirt & a really good sweater, it's good a little lower. If you're in Chicago, I am wearing mine today unlined with a suit and am very comfortable (it's around 45 & rainy).

It's warm because it holds the heat in, but you have to have a good insulating layer or a breeze cools the fabric which cools you. Don't wear it to shovel snow, you'll soak through from the inside. It may be thorn-proof, but it's only water resistant - I went around the block this morning walking dogs in a steady light rain and stayed dry, but a prolonged downpour will soak through. It's my 3rd waxed canvas coat & it's the first without much smell or oil transfer.

It's a great coat you won't regret in either length, I just found the longer beaufort slightly more flexible wardrobe-wise.

If you buy it from a full-service Barbour dealer (like Orvis), every few years take it to them in the summer & it gets sent back to Barbour for re-waxing for a small fee (I think $20 or $30).

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Barbours on stp are not first quality items. They are made in Bulgaria and some other countries and are not the same quality as the made in England items.

atct86

Reaction score
Is Orvis the best place the buy the jackets? Are there any Barbour stores in the US?

Also is there a slimmer version of the jacket?

I tried on a 38 Beaufort, and it fit me perfectly. And I normally wear a 40 Sportcoat.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Those Barbours on stp are not first quality items. They are made in Bulgaria and some other countries and are not the same quality as the made in England items.

I have bought 2 Made in England Barbours from STP in the last month, they are available.

Regards.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
On the East Coast, I see men wearing Beauforts pretty regularly (they are certainly the "norm" in terms of Barbour) and sometime wearing the Border. A few times I've seen men in the Bedale and it doesn't quite look right to me. I see women wearing the Bedale a lot -- I know it is not strictly a women's jacket, but I'm just letting you know how I see it worn. The side cents on the Bedale flap open, accentuating women's curves in the rear. On men what is a mildly-seductive look on women just looks a bit odd.

That said, I think what should really dictate this choice for you are 2 things: desire for functionality and your height. Beaufort is the best length for the band within which most men's height falls - if you're 5'9" to 6'2", the Beaufort will be great. I think it is best at around 6'. The Border is longer and thus looks a bit odd to my eye on men under 6'1" or 6'2" (similarly, a Beaufort looks way too short on a man who's 6'5"). The Bedale is really the only viable option for men who are under 5'9"...everything else looks too long to my eye.

On the functionality point, the Beaufort, I think, wins. The large game pocket in back which spans your entire lumbar region and has access zippers at both hips makes this the most useful jacket I own. Keep a scarf, gloves, AND hat in there in the winter. Carry a book in there. Carry an ultra-portable laptop in there. Carry an extra layer in there. Carry food in there when you go to a movie. A friend of mine has even "smuggled" 3 bottles of champagne in the pocket of his as we entered at BYO restaurant. Man, you could even store dead game in there, as was intended! The Bedale is an equestrian jacket and, as such, has no game pocket at all. For this reason, I find it to be significantly lacking in functionality vs. the Beaufort. Furthermore, the knit cuffs of the Bedale feel very nice and keep you warmer but are extremely awkward if you wear the coat overs a sport jacket. The Border has large game pockets, but there are two and access is from inside the coat. You can store stuff, but they don't zip and there isn't that single huge pocket the Beaufort has.

bkrex

Reaction score
agree with most posters. the beaufort is my falll/winter weekday go-to over a suit or sportcoat. I have the bedale as well, which I wear with jeans/khakis on the weekend. if you're ever going to wear it over a sportcoat. you need the length of the beaufort, though the bedale, particularly if bought on the smaller side, looks far more fashionable.

chethondo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkrex
agree with most posters. the beaufort is my falll/winter weekday go-to over a suit or sportcoat. I have the bedale as well, which I wear with jeans/khakis on the weekend. if you're ever going to wear it over a sportcoat. you need the length of the beaufort, though the bedale, particularly if bought on the smaller side, looks far more fashionable.

Excellent points. I just received my first Barbour for Christmas and it's a Bedale. I thought about returning it and getting a Beaufort but I'm more into the jacket for weekend wear. As far as sizing goes I returned the 40 and am anxiously awaiting my 38 to come in. I don't plan on wearing much more than a sweater under it so I don't need all the room.

tedbearz

Reaction score
Anyone who owns a summer beauforts comment on fit and sizing. I wear a 38 suit. Would small or medium be better?

Chief294

Reaction score
I went to try on both and it was immediately clear that the Beaufort was best for me. I'm 6'1" with 40" chest and the Bedale was far too short on me, the Beaufort was just the right length.

Barbour jackets seem to be all the rage at the moment and most of the chaps in London are wearing the Beaufort or the Liddesdale. I believe the Bedale is shorter because it's designed to be worn whilst riding.

When I go to the country most of the farmers have the Beaufort, for purely practical reasons (and accuse me of being a charlatan for wearing a Barbour in London!).

nozorro

Reaction score
would size 38 Beaufort be a good size over a 38 sc? or is 40 a better option?

ville_e

Reaction score
The Northumbria model looks the best if you are slightly taller. It is a longer model of the Beaufort.

matt22616

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting either the bedale or the beaufort for some time now. I searched around and saw pretty much all of these arguments. Here's the rub: I feel like this is a very country jacket (hence the game pocket). Wearing one over a suit just seems odd to me. If it's raining and you're wearing a suit, wear a trench coat, yes? Now, maybe if you're wearing an odd sport coat/tweed number, I can see it.

Essentially, in two years and change I'll be working for a law firm, where dressing conservatively is important. I shouldn't mix country and city.......right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics