• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's it.

ah, thx. BTW 5:45 is of course fast as hell. I just thought the WR must be below that, and it is but not as much as I thought.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a rest day but I decided to jump on the erg after my run for a bit. Did a 7:09. I'll rest tomorrow and get back to speed on Sunday.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wire connecting the computer on my erg to the erg itself has been broken since the day after I bought it. I'm getting it fixed on monday, but until then, I'm rowing lightly for 20-30 minutes a day, focusing on form. This was probably a blessing in disguise.

Luddite

Reaction score
Yesterday, 10 minutes and just shy of 2400m. Pretty slow; its been a while.

At high school, I pulled 6:43 for 2000m and 5300m in 20 minutes. Then my shoulders collapsed.

I'm 6 foot 1 and 80kg. At 16, rowing, I was closer to 90kg.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2K @ 7:24
2K @ 7:25
2K @ 7:27

Then a few miles cycling (I decided to take advantage of decent weather).

amnesiac

Reaction score
back in high school when i weighed in at 143 5' 9" i pulled a 7:11.

it wasn't great but it got me in the boat and we did just fine.

i tried out 2k's the other day and couldn't break 7:45. still not bad i guess. i weigh 20 lbs more these days. man i need to get my fat ass back in shape.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why: Do you do any distance other than 2k? I rowed in college and our coach had us do a lot of 3x2500 at +2-3 sec on our 500m split, along with a bunch of other different workouts. It'd be worth a try.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
Why: Do you do any distance other than 2k? I rowed in college and our coach had us do a lot of 3x2500 at +2-3 sec on our 500m split, along with a bunch of other different workouts. It'd be worth a try.

I do 5Ks and warm-up 1Ks from time to time but everything I do is based around the 2K. 2500m at +2-3 sec/500m is crazy fast and would put my 2K time alone well under 7:00 (somewhere around 6:30). I don't think I can go that fast for a 2K...

I'm still very new to this, so anything that gets me faster is worth a try.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should clarify (not remembering/writing correctly).

I'm assuming your 2k split is around 1:45. For the workout, try holding ~1:52 for all three 2500m pieces. We also had a bunch of 10x500m (or similar) workouts.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'm still very new to this, so anything that gets me faster is worth a try.

2 x 60min pieces; 5 mins active rest between. Those were fun.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
Sorry, I should clarify (not remembering/writing correctly).

I'm assuming your 2k split is around 1:45. For the workout, try holding ~1:52 for all three 2500m pieces. We also had a bunch of 10x500m (or similar) workouts.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. I was thinking you guys either had really fast 2.5Ks or really slow 500s.
tongue.gif

Tarzan

Reaction score
The only rower my gym has is a Liferower, you know that thing from the 80s that has a screen like an arcade game? Some days ago I tried it for the first time, did some warmup and then chose level 5 which was tagged " regular" . I did a little more than 6100m in 12 minutes but it was obviously a very easy setting, the machine has more than 12 levels if I recall correctly. How do you find out which level to choose on a rower? And since I am just starting can you give me a plan on how to work with a rower 2-3 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. On other days I will also lift weights about 2-3 times per week. Thanks

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarzan
I did a little more than 6100m in 12 minutes but it was obviously a very easy setting...

snork[1].gif

I wonder how that was calculated...

Originally Posted by Tarzan
How do you find out which level to choose on a rower? And since I am just starting can you give me a plan on how to work with a rower 2-3 times a week for about 20-30 minutes.

It sounds like you have a plan.

Tarzan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
snork[1].gif

I wonder how that was calculated...

It sounds like you have a plan.

The computer said I was doing 25-27 strokes per minute.

What I mean by a plan is do I row continuously on a specific level or there are better suggestions?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the 2500m splits today:

2.5K @ 9:21
2.5K @ 9:25
2.5K @ 9:29

My average split for the 3x2.5K was 1:53 and I shoot for 1:51 for my usual 4x2K, so I did them all at +2s/500m.

They were pretty rough, but I'm not sure if it's the extra distance or some of the fatigue from yesterday. Probably a bit of both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads