• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes to wear to work- Dos and Don'ts!

leonuk

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope you had an amazing Christmas.

I think it would be useful to stick up a list of tips on what to wear and what not to wear for those new to a business job (such as graduates going into accountancy).

Would anyone be able to suggest some tips (or even pictures) to kick me off?

It will be interesting to hear what you come up with- I need to kop some new clothes ASAP. If this works out I would like to stick it on my online blog along with a massive SF link and contributors list (but only if thats allowed). It might let me compete with my workmate that rocks Purple Label in his M3 all day long...

Ho ho ho,

Leon

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I can tell you some of my pet peeves working in an office I am constantly getting on my employees for poor faashion choices, the worst is when I am interviewing for new positions. You wouldn't believe some of the things people try to get away with. These are pretty basic things but anyways, no clip on ties, shirt neatly tucked in, never tuck without a belt, ties and short sleeves shirts don't mix, make sure everything you have on fits(it's better to be a bit tight then to be too big). Those are the basics I deal with on a average day.

leonuk

Reaction score
Thank you, great stuff
biggrin.gif
It is amazing how much of an impression a couple of poor choices can make

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leon, unlikely that you're going to run into anyone rocking purple label in an entry level or intern position, but irregardless i have a few suggestions.

Find out what is status quo at the place you are going to be working.

If they're business formal:

Buy white shirts, barrel or french cuffs, spread collar.

Mild patterned totally boring ties.

A variety of suits in charcoal gray, mid gray and navy.

2 pair of Black Cap toe or brogued shoes.

Business casual:

Button down collar shirts in solid or tattersal patterns.

wool pants in tones of gray.

Brown loafers

A sportcoat to dress up for meetings.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Leon, unlikely that you're going to run into anyone rocking purple label in an entry level or intern position, but irregardless i have a few suggestions.
ffffuuuu.gif
Irrespective/Regardless of Skinny's using a made up word, his advice is solid!
laugh.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
ffffuuuu.gif
Irrespective/Regardless of Skinny's using a made up word, his advice is solid!
laugh.gif

lol8[1].gif
this is the first time i've picked up something useful on SF, thanks lufty!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
this is the first time i've picked up something useful on SF, thanks lufty!

What are you talking about? I pick up useful advice from bowtielover all the time.
teacha.gif

esq

Reaction score

Find out what is status quo at the place you are going to be working.

If they're business formal:

Buy white shirts, barrel or french cuffs, spread collar.

Mild patterned totally boring ties.

A variety of suits in charcoal gray, mid gray and navy.

2 pair of Black Cap toe or brogued shoes.

Business casual:

Button down collar shirts in solid or tattersal patterns.

wool pants in tones of gray.

Brown loafers

A sportcoat to dress up for meetings.

True all dat.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You what to remembered for the quality of your work and not how good or not so good you dressed. Sf approved clothing won't keep away the pink slips
cry.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
You what to remembered for the quality of your work and not how good or not so good you dressed. Sf approved clothing won't keep away the pink slips
cry.gif

They're not mutually exclusive, you can be both well dressed and do quality work. In which case, you're going to have a lot of co-workers whom you scar the **** out of.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not mutually exclusive, you can be both well dressed and do quality work. In which case, you're going to have a lot of co-workers whom you scar the **** out of.

I generally scar my coworkers with a blade hidden into a hidden pocket in the sleeve my bespoke jackets.
lol8[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I generally scar my coworkers with a blade hidden into a hidden pocket in the sleeve my bespoke jackets.
lol8[1].gif

Very good, i use a gun.

Doxe

Reaction score
The OP asked specifically about a new job in accounting. Well, I have some experience there having previously worked at PwC for three years (as a tax lawyer, not an accountant) before jumping back to BigLaw.

Some of this may sound outrageous (as in, basic common sense) but unless you've been there, you can't even begin to imagine the horror of what some accountants wear. I worked with a senior manager in the M&A group that wore fleece zip vests every single day! And not nice fleece (if there is such a thing) but horrible moss coloured pieces of garbage.

When I was at PwC I wore suits every day and caught a lot of flak for it. I wore the suits because that was what I had from when I worked at a law firm. Let me say that at accounting firms things are much more casual. That being said, you can still look good. Just remember: fit is everything.

My advice is as follows:

1) Buy a blue suit. No pinstripes. Not fashionable (i.e., no skinny lapels or Thom Browne short jacket). This will be your go to suit for all important client meetings, etc. You will probably wear this suit 10 times a year, if that. Buy something in a classic fit that is not too baggy or billowy (accountants love comfortable clothes).

2) Buy a pair or black, lace-up, cap-toe oxfords or bluchers. Buy shoe trees. These will be the shoes you wear with your suit. You will probably not wear these every day.

3) Khakis. These will likely be your everyday workwear pants along with office pants. Do not buy pleated pants. I repeat, do not buy pleated pants. Flat front, slim, but not skin-tight. Buy several pairs in different shades. Recommended brands are Howard Yount or Brooks Brothers.

4) Office pants. Again, flat front. Do not buy pin-striped office pants. Glen-plaid are ok, but solid colours are preferred. Grey, charcoal, navy blue, and dark brown are the preferred colours. Flannel is your friend. Charcoal flannels are the best thing you can wear. You won't stand out, but you'll look better than anyone else.

5) Shirts. This is the easiest thing to screw up and ruin. If you will buy shirts that are too baggy on you, you will look fat and slovenly. You do not have a suit jacket to hide the excess fabric. I recommend using Mytailor, moderntailor, justwhiteshirts.com or any other e-retailer with low prices for MTM shirts that are tailored to fit you. If you want an example of how shirts should fit do a search for Phat Guido and look at his shirts. Buying OTR you will pay too much for shirts. Go internet MTM. Start with one shirt at a time. This is advice I wish I had when I was 21. As for colours, go with white OCBD, blue (but not too many!), tattersall, and gingham checks for spring and summer. Button cuffs, not french cuffs.

6) Ties. Buy 3 ties. One dark navy, one sky blue, and one "other" colour. You will likely never wear them other than with your suit.

7) Everyday shoes. Buy a pair of black or dark, dark brown leather-soled dress shoes. It doesn't matter whether they are bluchers, brogues, oxfords, or wingtips. Just do not buy rubber-soled, square-toe slip-ons. Polish your shoes. If you do this you will probably look better than the managing partner.

8) Jeans. Most accounting firms are "casual" on Fridays. I saw people wear things that I would wear if I was washing the car. The memories haunt me still. My advice, work from home on Fridays.

9) You don't need pocket squares for your suit. If your wear one, you will be the only one wearing one. White cotton is best. Expect abuse. Don't compain. You asked for it.

10) Do not wear anything other than a white undershirt under your dress shirts. An undershirt is not the same as a t-shirt. Undershirts are meant to be worn as undershirts. I saw people wear brown or red printed t-shirts under OBCD dress shirts. Please do not do this.

Many people will have different advice based on their own experience. The foregoing suggestions were based on my three years at PwC and are worth exactly what you paid for them: nothing. That being said, you will notice a number of people dressing exactly as I described. Try not be be like them.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads