• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for an appropriate 'Digestif' for after dinner

Star

Reaction score
Looking for a digestif for after dinner or a solid lunch. Looking for something on the sweeter side but not horribly sweet yet not horibbly bitter either. Would something like Amaretto be appropriate? I had it once after a plate of pasta in Berlin where the waitress took pitty on me having dinner by myself and gave me a serving on the house; and I can vaguely remember that it was not bad nor was the waitress.

I have no idea so I would like to hear some thoughts.

Would like to drink it in a shot size quantity or slightly more and neat.

Must be also appropriate for the fairer sex.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
Looking for a digestif for after dinner or a solid lunch. Looking for something on the sweeter side but not horribly sweet yet not horibbly bitter either. Would something like Amaretto be appropriate? I had it once after a plate of pasta in Berlin where the waitress took pitty on me having dinner by myself and gave me a serving on the house; and I can vaguely remember that it was not bad nor was the waitress. I have no idea so I would like to hear some thoughts. Would like to drink it in a shot size quantity or slightly more and neat. Must be also appropriate for the fairer sex.
Amaretto is a good choice. Crème de menthe on ice in a small glass has always been my favorite (it freshens the breath) but is too sweet for some people.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amaretto
limoncello
port wine
or something like jaegermeister or another herbal liqueur

Dr. Shafty

Reaction score
If you like the taste of star anise/liquorice, you could go the Ouzo/Sambuca/Absinthe route. I think Absinthe is least pungent of the three I have had. I like a nice LBV Port or an Oloroso style Sherry, but a lot of people find them cloying.

The next time you are at a nice restaurant and are presented with the desert menu, ask to sample one of the Ports/Sherries/Muscats. If you don't like it you can always erase the memory with a nice Scotch.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benedictine

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem, but I'm looking for an appropriate digestif before dinner.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you said Digestif, I am ruling out the sweet wines, fortified wines like Port and Sherry etc.

You also need it on the sweeter side, and something a woman would enjoy without, say, a wide familiarity with spirits. Ok, here goes:

Benedictine -- spicy, herbal, and sweet. Mix with brandy to bring the sugar down for the classic B&B

Yellow Chartreuse -- herbal, herbal, herbal. Very sweet.

Absinthe/Pernod -- somewhat sweet and a little bitter, but incredibly intense anise/liqorice. You have to love that to love absinthe. Not appropriate after every meal

Grappa-based liqueur, such as Jacopo Poli 'Miele' -- this is a honey-based liqueur, but made from acacia honey. It is very sweet but not overboard, and has a little pineyness to it which is refreshing after a meal.

Grand Marnier or Maderine Napoleon: Cognac redistilled with oranges. Lovely after a meal, as the pith of the orange is noticeable above the sweetness. Grand Marnier is from oranges, Napoleon is from Tangerines. The 100th anniversary Grand Marnier Centenaire is especially delightful and was my choice to serve last night.

Campari, which has been suggested, is beloved by me, but rare, rare, is the woman who truly enjoys it. I've only met one, and rare she most certainly was. It tastes like grapefruit rind with sugar.

I would suggest for a Digestif that you want something with a little bitterness -- you need that after a meal. So I suggest the Grand Marnier or the Miele.

~ H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I have a similar problem, but I'm looking for an appropriate digestif before dinner.
Tango Negroni.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Tango Negroni.

confused.gif
It was a pretty subtle joke, I'll admit.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
confused.gif
It was a pretty subtle joke, I'll admit.

Thanks. It was only half-a-joke, because for me that is a perfect recommendation, but I know you are not a fan. It's ok. Truly, though, what are you looking for? Something wine-based, a spirit, or a cocktail? I'm sure I can make a half-decent suggestion. ~ H

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. It was only half-a-joke, because for me that is a perfect recommendation, but I know you are not a fan. It's ok.

Truly, though, what are you looking for? Something wine-based, a spirit, or a cocktail? I'm sure I can make a half-decent suggestion.

~ H

I thought that the joke was that "after dinner digestif" was redundant. Before dinner it would be an apertif, right?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I thought that the joke was that "after dinner digestif" was redundant. Before dinner it would be an apertif, right?
Inside joke -- probably just why and I would know. Maybe Pio.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inside joke -- probably just why and I would know. Maybe Pio.

Ah...never mind then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads