• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first watch?

enarchay

Reaction score
Hmm... do you think the blue hands will affect the watch's match-ability with wristbands and/or clothing? If I were to replace the wristband in the future, I'd like brown, but I'm not sure if that'd go with the blue.

tor

Reaction score
^The blueness of the hands is very subtle, from what I've gathered from people who have seen it in person. Most of the time it's too dark to tell. And brown goes fine with blue.
Originally Posted by shoesies
I like the look of this watch - Seiko Spirit SCVS013
4c207a2bf89ad05164694ae3.jpg
I don't want to go too high - since it's my first watch I want it to be cheap, and then I will start to build my own character and for my next watch I wll be more certain as to what features/styles I definitely want to have. I like the idea of buying one's core competency - makes me steer clear of the Burberry watch in favor of a more specialized watch brand. I am open to learning the culture of watches, I have not yet started my watch-fetish craze - but that is only because I tied up in shoes right now
tounge.gif

That's the exact watch I was going to suggest. It's definitely on my to-buy list. And I'm pretty sure they are actually blued steel. Most pictures you see, however, they end up looking more black.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Spirit.

B|aze

Reaction score
vbuskirk;2777939 said:
Ohhh, I meant to comment how much I love that rose gold, black dial, chrono Hamilton above. Here is my Hammy:
Hamilton_Jazzmaster-OpenHeart_even.jpg
Hamilton_Jazzmaster-OpenHeart_odd.jpg
That is beautiful! Maybe that would be my next watch...but how is the quality on Hamilton. Never heard about this brand before

enarchay

Reaction score
I'm pretty set on getting a Seiko Spirit at this point. However, I'm having a really tough time choosing between the SCVS001 and 013. What do you guys think of the 001 (especially in terms of its versatility or matchability with clothing) versus the 013? What would you choose in my position?

Thanks for the help so far. Just trying to ensure that I'm completely satisfied with my purchase if I'm going to spend the money.

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I'm pretty set on getting a Seiko Spirit at this point. However, I'm having a really tough time choosing between the SCVS001 and 013. What do you guys think of the 001 (especially in terms of its versatility or matchability with clothing) versus the 013? What would you choose in my position? Thanks for the help so far. Just trying to ensure that I'm completely satisfied with my purchase if I'm going to spend the money.
I would deffently get the 013, I think it's more stylish, and I don't care much for the steel bracelet on the 001, the watch is too "small" for it. Futhermore the silver is more versatile than the gold on the 001. So go for the 013 and get a brown strap, that way you can change between black and brown for maximum versatility. (you should change the black strap aswell as the quality isn't that great) Here's mine with a brown strap.
38549745621.jpg

insp86

Reaction score
Fantastic. Do you know where that strap is for sale? Or who made it, etc.?

Originally Posted by B|aze
I would deffently get the 013, I think it's more stylish, and I don't care much for the steel bracelet on the 001, the watch is too "small" for it. Futhermore the silver is more versatile than the gold on the 001.
So go for the 013 and get a brown strap, that way you can change between black and brown for maximum versatility. (you should change the black strap aswell as the quality isn't that great)
Here's mine with a brown strap.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoesies
I like the look of this watch - Seiko Spirit SCVS013
4c207a2bf89ad05164694ae3.jpg

I don't want to go too high - since it's my first watch I want it to be cheap, and then I will start to build my own character and for my next watch I wll be more certain as to what features/styles I definitely want to have.

I like the idea of buying one's core competency - makes me steer clear of the Burberry watch in favor of a more specialized watch brand. I am open to learning the culture of watches, I have not yet started my watch-fetish craze - but that is only because I tied up in shoes right now
tounge.gif

I like this particular Seiko. It's a steal for what you get.

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by insp86
Fantastic. Do you know where that strap is for sale? Or who made it, etc.?

I bought the strap at Thestrapshop
And the strap is this one, but there's a lot of different nice straps.
You can also try the thewatchprince.com I hear a lot good about them.

the strap is 20mm by the way

bure

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Seiko Spirit SCVS003 and I was wondering about it's Accuracy.

Is "+25/-15 sec/day" manageable?
Will it become annoying and how often will I have to adjust the time?

Thanks

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a pretty old tag, right? looks better than half the new ones:
tagfront3wc4.jpg

thebaron

Reaction score
Rolex or Patek. They are the only watches I buy because they maintain their value. All other makes depreciate at an alarming rate; my Rolexes have increased in value. For example, I bought a brand new GMT two-tone in 1987 for $2500 usd. The watch was used and abused for 20 years. I sold it to an authorized rolex dealer for $3500 usd. On ebay the same watch sells for $4000-$7000 usd.

You can buy a Rolex wear it for a few years and get your money back when you sell it or trade it, especially on the sport models. From my experience, Omega, TAG, and Cartier do not retain their value. My advice is to spend the money on a quality time piece that is an investment.

Don't take my word for it, see it for yourself. Used TAG's for $299, Cartier's for $800, Omega's, etc.

Check out: http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebaron
Rolex or Patek. They are the only watches I buy because they maintain their value. All other makes depreciate at an alarming rate; my Rolexes have increased in value. For example, I bought a brand new GMT two-tone in 1987 for $2500 usd. The watch was used and abused for 20 years. I sold it to an authorized rolex dealer for $3500 usd. On ebay the same watch sells for $4000-$7000 usd. You can buy a Rolex wear it for a few years and get your money back when you sell it or trade it, especially on the sport models. From my experience, Omega, TAG, and Cartier do not retain their value. My advice is to spend the money on a quality time piece that is an investment. Don't take my word for it, see it for yourself. Used TAG's for $299, Cartier's for $800, Omega's, etc. Check out: http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
What a load of garbage. Go Chinese, its the future... and I don't mean any knock offs. Chinese brand, Chinese manufactured, Chinese movement, 'China Made'.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might stay away form Burberry and get a watch from a watch maker. YOu can find many watches new and used that would be good to get. Seiko, Hamilton, are just a couple that come to mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads