• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color Advice (Hat)

zeero3

Reaction score
I'm still a noob, but I'd much rather ask in this forum than FedoraLounge.

Considering I actually follow some tips from the Carol Jackson book I purchased about a year ago. Considering I'm a "Winter" -- suits in gray and navy, pale shirts, and true colors. I don't know what color fedora to get (first fedora obviously). I've looked and haven't found anything on why one would choose to wear a gray or brown hat. Money is limited, but will buy an Akubra since I feel it will last me quite a while. I just want to be sure I get the color that suits me best.

Thanks in advance for any "rules" or tips on this matter....

wgiceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeero3
I'm still a noob, but I'd much rather ask in this forum than FedoraLounge.

Considering I actually follow some tips from the Carol Jackson book I purchased about a year ago. Considering I'm a "Winter" -- suits in gray and navy, pale shirts, and true colors. I don't know what color fedora to get (first fedora obviously). I've looked and haven't found anything on why one would choose to wear a gray or brown hat. Money is limited, but will buy an Akubra since I feel it will last me quite a while. I just want to be sure I get the color that suits me best.

Thanks in advance for any "rules" or tips on this matter....

I'd be interested in what others have to say, as well. I just purchased a steel gray fedora this past week.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
A medium grey fedora is the mostlikely to coordinate with multiple colors. Brown is much more limited. Black, charcoal, light grey Medium blue, navy, and white will go with med grey. If you want to casual, it will also go with jeans. Brown may be a bit more flexible for casual as a brown fedora and brown flight jacket will make for a nice "look" with lots of things from knockabout casual to business casual. There is skin tone that plays into this also.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
With what you're wearing otherwise, I would think gray or navy to be your best option for a first fedora.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
With what you're wearing otherwise, I would think gray or navy to be your best option for a first fedora.

Agreed.
Of all my fedoras, my med. grey gets the most use. Dress or casual, it just goes with almost everything. I reserve my navy for more dressier days only.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you wearing the hat and what are you wearing it with? I'd think that a charcoal / grey color would be best in the city and would go with either casual or dressy while a dark, DARK brown (since you're a Winter) or navy would go better in a more rural setting.

I saw someone today that looked quite good in his Fedora at Target of all places. He was dressed well and the hat was perfect. Not obnoxious at all which is usually the case when someone is wearing a hat.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was looking at fedoras yesterday and was wondering about the appropriate colors to wear (i've never owned or worn one). Most of the ones I saw were either dark brown or black, no navy or medium gray. Some of the ones I saw were quite nice, but the colors didn't seem right for me. I think I'll now look for a dark gray or navy.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for medium grey.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When wearing a coat (topcoat, winter type coat etc.), I match my fedora with the coat.
Since I would be removing my hat indoors, why match it with the suit?
All my hats are black or shades of brown.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
When wearing a coat (topcoat, winter type coat etc.), I match my fedora with the coat.
Since I would be removing my hat indoors, why match it with the suit?
All my hats are black or shades of brown.

Is there a good place to purchase them in Indy?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Even with a navy overcoat, or does it matter?
Sure. You would wear a navy blazer with grey flannels, would you not? You might want a darker grey for this however. Also, make sure you get fur felt and not wool. Rain will ruin wool. For a good online source, check http://www.bencrafthats.com/

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Sure. You would wear a navy blazer with grey flannels, would you not? You might want a darker grey for this however. Also, make sure you get fur felt and not wool. Rain will ruin wool. For a good online source, check http://www.bencrafthats.com/
Sounds good... Thanks.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I was looking at fedoras yesterday and was wondering about the appropriate colors to wear (i've never owned or worn one). Most of the ones I saw were either dark brown or black, no navy or medium gray. Some of the ones I saw were quite nice, but the colors didn't seem right for me. I think I'll now look for a dark gray or navy.

Looking in Indianapolis? I have not seen good new fedoras around here in many years.
Raleigh's stopped selling Borsalino hats many many years ago. My older hats are Borsalinos from around 1970?? I didn't buy another fedora until finding the Optimo Hat Shop in Chicago a few years ago. My first hat from them was $350. The next year, my 2nd hat was up to $375.
I would like a navy fedora, but they are now $500 or more
frown.gif

Baksakes Hat Shop in downtown Cincinnati has a large selection. If this will be your first hat?
I would get more info from the guys over at the fedora Lounge. They aren't saying any good things about todays Borsalino hats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads