• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Damn, I bought those herringbone workshirts a few weeks ago at full price. If anybody is thinking about pulling the trigger on them, definitely do so, because they are awesome shirts and won't last too long.

seany

Reaction score
I got an J-Crew Medium Thinsulate Peacoat for Christmas, is it possible I can bring it to a J.Crew store and exchange it for a smaller size or get other items for the amount its worth (275$) ?

Thanks in advance.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
I got an J-Crew Medium Thinsulate Peacoat for Christmas, is it possible I can bring it to a J.Crew store and exchange it for a smaller size or get other items for the amount its worth (275$) ?

Thanks in advance.

Does it fit in the shoulders? I had mine tailored and it's totally money now.

And it's been on sale for awhile, so without a receipt you'll only get store credit for the lowest sale price.

e23

Reaction score
I wonder if there will be any sales the day after Christmas. I'll probably head over to some on Saturday..

seany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Does it fit in the shoulders? I had mine tailored and it's totally money now.

And it's been on sale for awhile, so without a receipt you'll only get store credit for the lowest sale price.

No it's def the wrong size, im 5'8 and the peacoat is wayyy to big on me. I tried on the extra small and it fit very well. Have yet to try on the small.

I have the receipt for it though. It's $275.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it's def the wrong size, im 5'8 and the peacoat is wayyy to big on me. I tried on the extra small and it fit very well. Have yet to try on the small.

I have the receipt for it though. It's $275.

LOL.

Their return policy is on the receipt. Of course you can return/exchange it. You must be pretty skinny if the XS fits well.

seany

Reaction score
Thanks STylin, yea I'm pretty skinny. I'm 150.

The XS fit me well, but I had no sweaters underneath just a V.neck.

Im going to see how the small fits before I make any decisions.

Or I should wait till the Spring gear rolls out and use the 275 for that. Hmmmm

pokpok

Reaction score
Haha, do you really think it'll last?
i hope so, its not really a must kop for me for 50 bux. and im pretty sure they were available in all sizes for both colors. nobody touched the stack of them displayed on the table b/c everyone were shopping at the sales section.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks STylin, yea I'm pretty skinny. I'm 150.

The XS fit me well, but I had no sweaters underneath just a V.neck.

Im going to see how the small fits before I make any decisions.

Or I should wait till the Spring gear rolls out and use the 275 for that. Hmmmm

XS must be super tight on you (not good for a peacoat), or you carry your weight down low. I'm 5 9.5"- 5 10" and currently 160 lbs or even a hair under and the small was too tight in the shoulders. Everywhere else was fine though. I got the medium and had the sleeves shortened a bit and the sides taken in.

It's a nice peacoat overall. Lots of compliments this last week. You should try the small; I bet it will fit you better than the XS. I'd return it, wait until it goes on sale for $169, and then you'll have an extra C note to spend.

seany

Reaction score
The only problem I had with the XS was moving my arms, but yea I def think a small would fit me better. I just have yet to try it on.

What I love about the peacoat it has these metal hooks on the collar to clasp it. Very cool feature.

gin8u

Reaction score
I agree with Stylin-1.

I'm 130lbs @ 5"8' and the XS peacoat is just a fraction too small for me in the shoulders area. I haven't worked out in a month now and I'm just a bit worried that once I go back, the peacoat is going to feel quite restrictive.

I'm curious to know if a tailor can "carve" (for lack of a better term) bigger armholes to accomodate my shoulders.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it fit in the shoulders? I had mine tailored and it's totally money now. And it's been on sale for awhile, so without a receipt you'll only get store credit for the lowest sale price.
How'd you get it altered (ie, in detail)? I haven't had a chance to bring it to a tailor yet. Kind of curious what seams you had brought in.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
How'd you get it altered (ie, in detail)? I haven't had a chance to bring it to a tailor yet. Kind of curious what seams you had brought in.

He took in the main side seams just enough to get rid of the "skirt flair" and then right up to the armpits and then of course, the sleeves. Charged me $50, but it was worth every penny. Would've been less if it wasn't lined.

My usual tailor was closed, so I went to this Italian guy who everyone at work uses for MMM suits etc. I'm def using this guy from now on. Doesn't even look altered; the thinsulate and the other tag that run down the inner seam are still intact.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only problem I had with the XS was moving my arms, but yea I def think a small would fit me better. I just have yet to try it on.

What I love about the peacoat it has these metal hooks on the collar to clasp it. Very cool feature.

Is the peacoat navy or black?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads