• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else find Clarks DB uncomfortable?

enarchay

Reaction score
I was looking into getting some new shoes since I've been wearing the same pair of sneakers for a while now. I looked around the various threads, and Clarks Desert Boots seemed to be a favorite. I ordered a pair last week and recently got them in the mail. I just tried them on, and maybe it's because they need to break in or something, but I find them extremely uncomfortable.

I ordered them a half size smaller like people recommended, and I still have a lot of toe room, but the top of the shoe - where the laces meet - comes down directly on the top of my foot in an unpleasent way. It feels really stiff, and there is a lot of pressure on the top of my foot as a result. I've read a lot of reviews saying that they are extremely comfortable, but I fail to see how. I can't really imagine walking for lengthy amounts of time in these things; when I stand up in them, I feel like the upper half of my foot is trying to separate from the lower half, and the circulation is nearly cut off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just me?

Finally, what would be an alternative to Clarks Desert Boots if I can't learn to like them? I'm looking for a step-up from sneakers that is casual enough for a college setting.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread shouldn't exist. Also, maybe you're lacing them too tightly?

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
This thread shouldn't exist. Also, maybe you're lacing them too tightly?
Shouldn't exist? I was thinking of posting it in the "noob" thread but I thought it qualified as a new thread if questions about sizing and color qualify as threads. I'm not lacing them too tightly. Even completely unlaced, there's the same problem. It's the actual fabric where the laces meet (or the angle at which it meets) that seems to be the problem; it doesn't provide enough room for the top of the foot. At least, that's how it seems to me, which is unfortunate since I like the way they look but I don't think it is worth sacrificing comfort (or putting up with foot pain).

ryannn

Reaction score
Those threads about sizing and colors in most cases shouldn't exist either. Your thread sucks.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanmnguyen
Those threads about sizing and colors in most cases shouldn't exist either. Your thread sucks.
Well, if other people find Clarks DB uncomfortable, I would think that would qualify as an important piece of information for people who have seen the recommendations and are looking to buy them.

samejame

Reaction score
When I got my first pair of Clarks I also thought I had made a huge mistake. They were so unbelievably uncomfortable and put a large amount of pressure on the tops of my feet, just like you mention. I kept wearing them anyway in hopes they would stretch a bit and once they were worn in they were the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I've gotten two pairs since then and it's been the same experience each time. They absolutely need a break in period so just give it a little time :)

kookydooky

Reaction score
I know what you mean OP, but for me its more so pain on the bottom of my feet if I wear them on a day where I will do some decent amount of wlaking (like going shopping)

Maybe its just that I havent fully broken them in yet

Who knows

Riio

Reaction score
I remember my clarks were a little uncomfortable up top, but also near the heel area, which kept rubbing against my foot. All that went away after a few days wear though.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand this complaint. They're more comfortable than my slippers.

And why couldn't this be posted in the Clark's DB thread???

GahDuma

Reaction score
Honestly, if you are used to wearing sneakers all the time the change can be tough. Especially for you, because they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. It takes a couple of days but they mold to your feet perfectly.

Racove

Reaction score
sounds like the OP might have a high instep. Me too. makes it difficult to go down .5 on these.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
sounds like the OP might have a high instep. Me too. makes it difficult to go down .5 on these.

Hmm... never even heard of that. It could be the problem. The best way to describe it - and maybe it is more my feet than the boots - is that there is not enough height between the bottom of the shoe and where the laces meet; that is, there is not enough room vertically for the top of my foot to fit comfortably. As a result, the top presses down directly (and actually sort of painfully) on the top of my foot. Hopefully they'll wear in... if not, I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing boards and look for a more comfortable pair of shoes.

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
I have pretty wide feet (9.5EE) and I tried to wear these but they were too painful. I don't think I could fit in these unless I roder a size 10.

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
... if not, I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing boards and look for a more comfortable pair of shoes.

Or try not sizing down? People have suggested it on here yes, but everywhere else says true to size or even size up one. I went true to size on mine. Down .5 was too narrow. And they feel awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads