• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can shoe polish go bad?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of shoe polish from Alden 2 years ago that is specifically for Color 8 cordovan. I always take it in when I have my shoes done. The cobbler told me it has gone bad and is turning black. Looks OK to me, but he forgets more about shoes every day than I will ever learn. Should I buy new polish? Not a big deal for $8, but still something i had never heard of before because I thought polish lasted forever.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had polish turn white and start growing ****. Come to think of it, it was Alden #8.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps this polish -- because it's specifically for shell (which is veg/oil tanned, not chorme tanned like calf uppers) -- is formulated differently. I've never seen regular creams or waxes go bad, and I've seen some that are ooooold.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had polish dry out, but never "go bad".

sysdoc

Reaction score
The solvents in wax polish (e.g. turpentine) evaporate when you leave the tin open for a longer while. This is actually the same process that happens after you polished your shoes when the wax 'hardens'. Without the solvents the polish is pretty useless, because it becomes rock hard and cannot be applied to a shoe anomore.

Creams are mostly water based, so they can dry out too. I am not a fan of cream, so I never had any dry out on me. Theoretically however, you should be able to 'revive' dried out water based cream with a few drops of water.

Ancient shoe polish may not rot, but it sure ain't good for polishing shoes either.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the Alden #8 cordovan polish get very hard in the jar and crack somewhat, but it has still been very usable. I've never bothered, but I imagine if were heated a little, it would probably soften up again. In addition, I have cans of shoe polish lying around that must be 20 years old. They too can get a little hard, and maybe the cake of polish will crack into two or three sections, but the polish still works fine. Going bad, to me, suggests colonies of unwanted tiny creatures living in your shoe-polish cans, and, given the composition of creams and polishes, this seems most unlikely. Perhaps what was meant by "gone bad" was that the polish had hardened and dried out somewhat, but my guess is that it could still be used and could, in addition, be rejuvenated by heating.

stach

Reaction score
I bought three jars of Meltonian red mahogony cream several years ago. Two jars remain unopened but in one of those jars the cream has turned mauve.

why4009

Reaction score
Do you think lexol or meltonian leather lotion go bad? I just found my old shoe polishing stuff and trying to see what I can keep and what I can't. I understand that some polish can go bad so I'll probably toss it. Look at the open container of black meltonian cream - it is pure solid now! Any thoughts would be appreciated. http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3874/shoepolish.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only when it starts hanging around with the wrong element.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I've had polish dry out, but never "go bad".
I've had it dry out but it was still usable. I've had it turn white, too.

Ikouja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've had it dry out but it was still usable. I've had it turn white, too.

I've heard a drop or two of motor oil will fix that perfectly
smile.gif

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
l say yes,
it turned darker and made dags,
had to throw it,
20 years

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've dampened a rag and used old, dried out polish without problems until I grabbed some 10 or 15 year old Kiwi Natural (clear) on some brown shoes. It just kind of turned white and flaky on the leather and was a major PIA to get off...especially in the creases. It's like it turned "gummy" or something and was just sticking to the leather. I tried buffing the hell out of it but finally had to wipe it down 4 or 5 times with a damp rag to get it off. Like I said, major PIA and just not worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads