• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
that is hideous but your taste in shoes is always pretty bad (should i just grade this one myself?)

Hahah! A) 4 B) 6 C) 10+

Originally Posted by DLester
do not like J&M shoe

Sheesh. Okay, okay. but I'm getting it anyway just to piss off Uncontrol.

Seriously, is the quality just meh? Not needing to make a statement, but will I be annoyed with anything about these?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
zissou definitely buy that asap
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Hahah! A) 4 B) 6 C) 10+ Sheesh. Okay, okay. but I'm getting it anyway just to piss off Uncontrol. Seriously, is the quality just meh? Not needing to make a statement, but will I be annoyed with anything about these?
What's your job? Honestly if something like that ugly thing is going to pass for OK, why not just wear Docs instead?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Hahah! A) 4 B) 6 C) 10+ Sheesh. Okay, okay. but I'm getting it anyway just to piss off Uncontrol. Seriously, is the quality just meh? Not needing to make a statement, but will I be annoyed with anything about these?
The shoe is only okay. It is not offensive. You will probably get some use out of them and be happy. I don't care for the style. For me, I don't like J&M anymore. They used to make good shoes. I actually have a pair of J&M wingtips that I believe are about 20-25 years old (I bought them used so I am not certain of their age). They are quality shoes that I wear on a fairly regular basis. I understand that some time ago the original owners sold out, and the new owners reduced the quality as well as the price. I have seen J&M shoes in the last year, and those were not nearly as nice as mine. Do you need a shoe like this right now, or can you wait and save up for something better? EDIT: What do you like about them other than the price? I wouldn't wear them but that is just me. It doesn't seem like money well spent.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^Dude it's pretty offensive. It was already ugly but the rubber sole absolutely seals it. Not wearable.

I have a pair of recent (2 years ago?) J&Ms, captoe bal boots that have served and will serve until I find some real captoe bal boots. Leather is not great (I improved the look by 2-toning them; captoe and a couple details are darker), but I have had no actual quality issues, and the last and design are good, nothing fancy but pretty sleek.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
^Dude it's pretty offensive. It was already ugly but the rubber sole absolutely seals it. Not wearable.

Yeah -- I felt bad about absolutely ******** on them after he said he was getting them, so I pulled my punches a bit. I shouldn't do that.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Yeah -- I felt bad about absolutely ******** on them after he said he was getting them, so I pulled my punches a bit. I shouldn't do that.

Okay, second thoughts on it. No hurt feelings. Need this feedback.

I'm looking for a pair of casual moc-oxfords with a non-leather sole I can wear with jeans and they'll get beaten up. I have more docs than I can thrown my docs at. Looking to branch out.

For example, I find this heinous:

BensonBlkCalf.jpg

And I just don't see them as that much of a departure from the Indy boot, which I love:

Officers%20Indy%20Pair_lo.jpg

So not to be a smartass, but other than the treaded sole, why the hate? I'd honestly love some insight, or better, suggestions. Think Indy boot in shoe form. Will spend for it if it's worth it.

(Agelus - I'm in architecture. Docs are approved, but yawn...)

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NM -- I posted an ebay link to an Indy boot then remembered you were looking for a shoe.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think in the history of styleforum not a single person has ever spelled my user name right and I don't know if it's on purpose or not.

Anyways what's your price range and does it have to be a shoe? Year round, just summer, just winter?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads