• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jazz are you listening lately?

Robertito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Do you have Anthony Wilson's "Jack of Hearts" on cd or vinyl LP? Maybe both? If so, how do compare the sounds?

I have it on CD. I didn't know it was available on vinyl, but generally speaking, I prefer the sound of vinyl to CDs.

blofeld

Reaction score
in the midst of a huge Bobbi Humphrey phase right now

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Artist>Album:

Michael Franks> Art of Tea+Sleepy Gypsy+Tiger in the Rain+Dragonfly Summer
David Benoit> Stages
Stanley Clark> East River Drive
Chuck Mangione> Best of
Nelson Rangell> Truest Heart+Destiny
Paul Hardcastle> the Jazzmasters
Hiroshima> GO
Brian Culbertson> After Hours
3rd Force> 3rd Force+Force of Nature+Vital Force
Rippingtons> Wecome to the St. James Club+Curves Ahead
Acoustic Alchemy> Reference Point+Blue Chip+Against the Grain

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eumir Deodato

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

WE350B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
Artist>Album:

Michael Franks> Art of Tea+Sleepy Gypsy+Tiger in the Rain+Dragonfly Summer
David Benoit> Stages
Stanley Clark> East River Drive
Chuck Mangione> Best of
Nelson Rangell> Truest Heart+Destiny
Paul Hardcastle> the Jazzmasters
Hiroshima> GO
Brian Culbertson> After Hours
3rd Force> 3rd Force+Force of Nature+Vital Force
Rippingtons> Wecome to the St. James Club+Curves Ahead
Acoustic Alchemy> Reference Point+Blue Chip+Against the Grain

Hey, IIIrd Icon, I can almost gurantee that you're Flip
smile.gif
and probably around my age, too.

Anyway, I'm on a Madeleine Peyroux Careless Love and Wes-Mo A Day in the Life kick lately.

PS Oh yeah First Light Freddie Hubbard, too on vinyl.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
in the midst of a huge Bobbi Humphrey phase right now

Did you say huge?
smile.gif
I took this photo in 08 at the Capital Jazzfest. She was touring with Roy Ayres.
IMG025.jpg
[/IMG]

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Freddie Redd, Shades of Redd. Blue Note title on 45rpm LPs from Music Matters.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Freddie Redd, Shades of Redd. Blue Note title on 45rpm LPs from Music Matters.

On youtube
fistbump.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trumpeter Dizzy Reece: Summertime from his album titled Asia Minor

What a reviewer wrote:
"Tony Hall (who did a lot of hard work in the British jazz scene during the 50's ) persuaded Alfred Lion -Blue Note- to record trumpeter Dizzy Reece. So Reece, living in London by that time, recorded 'Blues in Trinity' with Art Taylor (drs) and Donald Byrd (t), (who where working in Paris by that time) Tubby Hayes (s), Terry Shannon(p) and Lloyd Thompson(b) in a studio in north London. It was on August 24, 1957.

When Dizzy Reece (born in Jamaica, living in New York now) came over to America, it was quite a buzz. Picked up by Blue Note, he recorded another two great albums, Star Bright and Soundin' Off.
1958-1959 Was a very productive year for Blue Note, recording 68 sessions with several new leaders like Duke Pearson, Tina Brooks, Jackie McLean and Donald Byrd. I have to say, Reece's albums where much better then (the more famous) albums from Donald Byrd coming out in those years.
Reece did one album for Prestige, 'Asia Minor', in 1962. 'Summertime' is one of the great tracks of the album. With baritonist Cecil Payne, Joe Farrell on tenor and flute, pianist Hank Jones, bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Charlie Persip. "

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WE350B
Hey, IIIrd Icon, I can almost gurantee that you're Flip
smile.gif
and probably around my age
, too.

Anyway, I'm on a Madeleine Peyroux Careless Love and Wes-Mo A Day in the Life kick lately.

PS Oh yeah First Light Freddie Hubbard, too on vinyl.

lol. what ultimately gave it away, "Stages"?! lol. 'don't know about the latter tho' since Flips' peculiar brand of "contemporary" jazz is stuck in a [late '70s to early 80s] vacuum. my niece got "Two of Us" by Seawind and "Hurt" by Kalapana in same playlist with "Fallin' for You" by Colbie Caillat
facepalm.gif
if you can believe that.

Musiclover

Reaction score
Poncho Sanchez has a new CD this year. They cover an Art Blakey tune Crisis and Herbie's Watermelon Man.

WE350B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
lol. what ultimately gave it away, "Stages"?! lol. 'don't know about the latter tho' since Flips' peculiar brand of "contemporary" jazz is stuck in a [late '70s to early 80s] vacuum. my niece got "Two of Us" by Seawind and "Hurt" by Kalapana in same playlist with "Fallin' for You" by Colbie Caillat
facepalm.gif
if you can believe that.

lol on the seawind/kalapana/caillat playlist. sounds like my family members' playlist, too.
laugh.gif
yeah, man, stages and art of tea/sleeping gypsy gave it away. the last two in my all-time faves. basically the crusaders backing MF. i do like a lot of the real 70's fusion, though, like the deodato you mentioned and weather report. when i came here, though, i kinda dug into straightahead and cool 50's/60's stuff like miles, etc. cool, dude, merry christmas, at least now i know some other flip's wearing indy's/sda and listening to jazz lol

Raymondleigh3268

Reaction score
First time posting on here Merry Xmas Jazz....

i seen Yolanda Brown in the Jazz cafe in London the other week end really good and Jason Young done one set there as well i be going back great nite ...

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raymondleigh3268
First time posting on here Merry Xmas Jazz....

i seen Yolanda Brown in the Jazz cafe in London the other week end really good and Jason Young done one set there as well i be going back great nite ...

Thanks and welcome to SF

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • David Torn - "Cloud About Mercury"
  • Fred Anderson and Hamid Drake - "From the River to the Ocean"
  • John Coletrane - "Side Steps" (a compilation of Coltrane's non-Miles sideman sessions on Prestige from the '50s)
  • Thelonius Monk - "Monk's Music"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads