• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stewartu
I think that this is largely nostalgia for a time that never was.

The quality of the audio equipment we can afford today far outstrips anything any of us could/would have owned in our teens.

Yes, albums were fun to handle and play with but I think the benefits of digital accessibility and usability far outweigh this.

By the way, get a high quality set of headphones and you will re-discover all of your music. I recommend Grado S80i's or Sennheiser HD380's.

Merry Christmas.

I suspect people who say this have never heard a good or even decent analog system.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes any of you analogue guys think that your brain interprets stimuli in anything but a digital way?

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Great thread!

AF - thank you for taking the time to share some great information.

Faded - any chance of you telling us a little more about your current set up?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
What makes any of you analogue guys think that your brain interprets stimuli in anything but a digital way?

The brain uses a neural network which is based on looking at stimulus on a weighted basis. That's not strictly digital. But more importantly, the stimuli come from hearing analog waveforms. It's a mostly analog process. All digital audio systems output an analog waveform as the result.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nomad_K
Great thread!

AF - thank you for taking the time to share some great information.

Faded - any chance of you telling us a little more about your current set up?

You are welcome.
smile.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which cartridge would be the most suitable for Rega P2? I currently use Denon DL 160. I like transparent and neutral sound with little to no coloration. I also not going to spend more than 300.00 on it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Which cartridge would be the most suitable for Rega P2? I currently use Denon DL 160. I like transparent and neutral sound with little to no coloration. I also not going to spend more than 300.00 on it.
Take a look at the inexpensive Benz that came out. $200 I think. I think they also make the Audio Technica OC9 Mark II as well. How much gain do you have in your phono stage? Can it drive a low output moving coil?

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
How much gain do you have in your phono stage? Can it drive a low output moving coil?

It can drive low output moving coil, but i was advised against it as I was told low output coils require really good phono stages and even then they reveal too much scratch on LPs.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1

I should remind everyone that digital and analog are artificial constructs that humans use to understand and model the world. The world is neither analog nor digital, so arguing that one kind of encoding is more natural than another is nonsensical. Put another way, is a rock digital or analog?

--Andre

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take a look at the inexpensive Benz that came out. $200 I think. I think they also make the Audio Technica OC9 Mark II as well.

How much gain do you have in your phono stage? Can it drive a low output moving coil?

Isn't it usually advisable to get a separate step-up transformer or head amp to drive a moving coil for the phono stage?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It can drive low output moving coil, but i was advised against it as I was told low output coils require really good phono stages and even then they reveal too much scratch on LPs.
LOMCs don't reveal any more surface noise than a good MM does. They do tend to be more detailed than a good MM but then there are great exceptions like the Grado Statement. Ideally you want as good phono stage as you can afford since it is tricky to amplify the very small signal out of a cartridge to preamp ready levels.
Originally Posted by A Y
I should remind everyone that digital and analog are artificial constructs that humans use to understand and model the world. The world is neither analog nor digital, so arguing that one kind of encoding is more natural than another is nonsensical. Put another way, is a rock digital or analog? --Andre
If the original recording was analog, there will be loss of sound quality when converting to digital and back. This is especially true if it is 16/44.1 digital playback or less.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Isn't it usually advisable to get a separate step-up transformer or head amp to drive a moving coil for the phono stage?
You don't have to use a SUT; it depends on how much gain your phono stage has. The EAR834P has 70 db of gain so it can drive very low output signals. Systems differ as well. Some have preamps with 12 db of gain and some have 24 db of gain. Same for the amplifier and the speaker sensitivity.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the original recording was analog, there will be loss of sound quality when converting to digital and back. This is especially true if it is 16/44.1 digital playback or less.

OK, but I'm not sure what this has to do with digital or analog representation of the world.

Sure, if you digitize analog, there will be some loss, but there will also be loss every time you make an analog copy. The great thing about digital is that you can make lossless copies once something is digital. It's a matter of tradeoffs.

--Andre

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
All depends on your phono stage. My ARC has zero trouble with the lowest output MCs. Neither does the wonderful Herron or magnificent Manley Steelhead.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rega carts are a good match. Your budget can accomodate the Elys.
SuperElys.jpg
The Exact is even better. But, I'm sure other will have other ideas. If you can get a used Glider on Audiogon, do it. A fine MC cart. Stay away from Sumiko Blue Point, IMO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Fidelity Research FR-1 Mark III cartridge and its accompanying step-up transformer.

The person who started that company is now responsible for Ikeda.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads