• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have swimming and running threads, so why not a rowing one?

I picked a used erg today, probably have lots of room for improvement.
500m in 1:58
500m in 2:01
500m in 2:05
500m in 1:57

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call on the thread... I need extra $ to invest 1k in a new concept 2.

Your times will improve significantly in the coming weeks. Just assume you can go as fast as you want.

amnesiac

Reaction score
I used to row in high school, burned out and just this past semester got back into it for PE credit. The benchmark is the 2k, which from your 500m pieces you can get a decent understanding of.

I don't know if you've rowed before, but form is incredibly important not only for your wellbeing but also so that people that used to row don't look at you and laugh to themselves. (they do and they will)

I did my 2k for the end of the semester the other day and it was around 7:40, which isn't awful, but it's nowhere near where I was in high school, especially considering I weighed 15 lbs less then, as scrawny as I was.

I find 10k or 30 minute pieces to be quite nice actually. For you, you'd probably keep a split around 2:05-2:15 for the whole piece. How much did you rest between 500m pieces?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
We have swimming and running threads, so why not a rowing one?

I picked a used erg today, probably have lots of room for improvement.
500m in 1:58
500m in 2:01
500m in 2:05
500m in 1:57

laugh.gif
fight[1].gif

Keep it up.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wednesday:

2K @ 7:27
2K @ 7:25
2K @ 7:28

Friday:

2K @ 7:20
2K @ 7:18

Saturday:

2K @ 7:27
2K @ 7:28
5K @ 19:37

Yesterday (damn flu!):
2K @ 7:31
2K @ 7:34
2K @ 7:37

I rest for about 3 minutes in between bouts to cool down but not warm down. Haven't done an all-out 2K time since I hit 7:00 a month or so ago. I've been focused trying to get my 4x 2K workouts down bit by bit since it tends to make me a lot faster than one exhausting set.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I rowed in high school, there was a kid, not sure who he rows for now, that went on to Rutgers, national teams, blah blah blah. He pulled a 5:57 2k his senior year. ******* insane. The erg looked like it was about to break in half, bouncing back and force while he sprinted.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Back when I rowed in high school, there was a kid, not sure who he rows for now, that went on to Rutgers, national teams, blah blah blah. He pulled a 5:57 2k his senior year. ******* insane. The erg looked like it was about to break in half, bouncing back and force while he sprinted.

Heavyweight?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6'5" Probably around 210-220 pounds

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
6'5" Probably around 210-220 pounds

I figured.
tongue.gif

Yesterday was another 'rest' day. It's too cold and icy to run decently so I rowed a bit instead of doing a longer run.

Ran 5K @ 22:xx
Row 2K @ 7:25
Row 2K @ 7:27

Doctor

Reaction score
Today:

Distance: 13,074m
Time: 40min, 6 seconds continuous.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Today:

Distance: 13,074m
Time: 40min, 6 seconds continuous.

You did 6.5 2Ks @ 6:10 or so each consecutively? Uhhh..
eh.gif

MHH89

Reaction score
We had a kid on our college team (6'6 225) who rowed at 5:51. He went on to the National Team trials but blew out his knee.

Your splits aren't bad for a beginner but you definitely need to make sure you have the right form. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that the power for rowing/erging comes from your arms. In reality, most of the power comes from your legs.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You did 6.5 2Ks @ 6:10 or so each consecutively? Uhhh..
eh.gif

I don't do splits like you. I just get on the machine and row for 40min at a time. Probably sounds odd, but I'm not actually a rower. I just do this for fitness. I still take care with my form and have been working on my distance/speed for a while now.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
I don't do splits like you. I just get on the machine and row for 40min at a time.

Probably sounds odd, but I'm not actually a rower. I just do this for fitness. I still take care with my form and have been working on my distance/speed for a while now.

Machine is broken, perhaps?

http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/get_wrankings.asp

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads