• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk v. Knit Scarves - Warmth?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scarves are a cold-weather necessity to keep out biting wind. I've always worn bulky wool or wool blend scarves, operating under the impression that the sheer bulk of the wool would keep the warmth in and the wind out. They are rarely elegant, though.

I've admired a lot of silk scarves in the WAYWYN thread, but always from afar, as I am afraid they they're sacrificing function for form. And while I'd purchase one to try out, they're pricey compared to wool.

For those of you who own both - are silk scarves relatively warm for serious winter wear, compared with the bulkier, less-elegant wool?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Scarves are a cold-weather necessity to keep out biting wind. I've always worn bulky wool or wool blend scarves, operating under the impression that the sheer bulk of the wool would keep the warmth in and the wind out. They are rarely elegant, though.

I've admired a lot of silk scarves in the WAYWYN thread, but always from afar, as I am afraid they they're sacrificing function for form. And while I'd purchase one to try out, they're pricey compared to wool.

For those of you who own both - are silk scarves relatively warm for serious winter wear, compared with the bulkier, less-elegant wool?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Are you including cashmere in your assessment of wool? I have light-weight and heavy cashmere that are both terrific this time of year.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Scarves are a cold-weather necessity to keep out biting wind. I've always worn bulky wool or wool blend scarves, operating under the impression that the sheer bulk of the wool would keep the warmth in and the wind out. They are rarely elegant, though. I've admired a lot of silk scarves in the WAYWYN thread, but always from afar, as I am afraid they they're sacrificing function for form. And while I'd purchase one to try out, they're pricey compared to wool. For those of you who own both - are silk scarves relatively warm for serious winter wear, compared with the bulkier, less-elegant wool? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
Luftvier, Your question is a very good one and you will find different answers. I used to live in Denver and they have some nice blizzards so I understand your point. I wore a scarf which was a double layer of Thai silk which worked very well for me. By doubling the scarf I found myself warm at all times. Doubling meant 4 layers of silk as the silk was already double layered. I never felt the need for an interlining but I wonder if in Canada near the great lakes where the weather is wet and cold it might be a good idea? In summary I think that in terms of weight, looks and comfort silk scarves are more better.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Are you including cashmere in your assessment of wool? I have light-weight and heavy cashmere that are both terrific this time of year.
I had not factored cashmere in at all.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surpisingly, silk does a very good job insulating. I wouldn't go out in sub zero weather in silk, but it can do the job. Its hard to beat cashmere though. Oh hey, whats that down in my signature?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like cashmere backed silk scarves.

11592-18--hermes-royal-blue-cashmere-blend-silk-equestrian-print-scarf1.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a cashmere backed silk scarf. I am now planning on making a scarf with 3 layers - silk on one side and cashmere on the other, with an inner layer of alpaca. that will be hugely warm.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have a cashmere backed silk scarf. I am now planning on making a scarf with 3 layers - silk on one side and cashmere on the other, with an inner layer of alpaca. that will be hugely warm.

Seven fold scarves anyone?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Seven fold scarves anyone?

Loro Piana sells a scarf with 5 different colored panels stitched together along one of the long edges. You choose the inside and outside color you want and squeeze the other 3 inside. It was too complicated for me and way to chunky, but it is an interesting idea if you only want to own 1 scarf.

QuarantaLocatel

Reaction score
We have this gap... We love to produce silk scarves for winter too...but people don't imagine, generally, how silki is good in insulating from the cold when you can fold it just a bit.

QuarantaLocatel

Reaction score
I don't like cold months, but since I discovered silk scarves I use them instead than wool or cachemere most of time.
They are really light but they protect from cold and we generally don't imagine it. Of course there are textiles mixded silk-cachemere, but even just silk is insulating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads